TPA HW requirements (searching for new tablet)

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
Well, I'm thinking about replacing my old GT-P1000 for something more modern. But for what????
What I want is:
-screen bigger then current 7"
-support or better say ability for easy rooting and custom roms. If I'm right, quallcom is the way to go, right? Intel, MTK, Marvell and other even more obcure SoCs are not a good choice.
-3G isn't a must, but I wouldn't mind if it is there or even pay a bit more for it.

But what I don't know is what are the limits for TPA. My current tab is PoS, 1GHz+512MB RAM and with High LoD off and mip mapping of the game runs quite OK, especially tables from S1 and S2. I do have ocasional sttutering but the game is playable.
The questions are:
-this High LoD...... how high is that exactly? Will I be fine with 1280x800 or I can get better experience with higher than that
-number of cores..... well, that by itself doesnt mean much. And if with 1Ghz single core game run decently, I think that any dual core would do.

My #1 pick would be Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 LTE but that is unavailable here. Option #2 is the same tab but wi-fi only. But if I can't see/feel the difference between that one and for instance Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 then I would rather save some 100+€. Or buy that same Tab 3 8.0 but with 3G.
Also, it's not that I can choose much here......... Samsung, Samsung, Samsung........... and some more Samsung. And also, in 8" size, there isn't much. LG G Pad 8.3 is available but it cost not much less than GT Pro 8.4. And there are some no name generic chinese stuff that I don't want.

Also, I would consider a 10"er. They are not that much heavier than the one I'm using now.

Scumble373

FarSight Employee
Jul 1, 2014
Hey Kinggo!

We just got a new Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 in the office for testing purposes. I've gotten to try it out on a few occasions and I really like the tablet itself, and playing TPA on it. I would watch some reviews and see it for yourself!

Hope that helps!

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
Hey Kinggo!

We just got a new Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 in the office for testing purposes. I've gotten to try it out on a few occasions and I really like the tablet itself, and playing TPA on it. I would watch some reviews and see it for yourself!

Hope that helps!
it's really good to se a FS guy here :D
OK, which one do you have there? 7" and 8" are totally different devices. Name is the only thing that they have in common.
Reviews mean nothing, I only care about what TPA needs and what TPA can make use of.
Can you say how high is that High LoD? Or are you planning to increase android HW requirements? Or build TPA for more powerful HW.
GT 3 8.0 is quite cheap, some 130€ for 16GB wi-fi only. GT Pro 8.4 is more than twice of that price. But since TPA is the only reason for tablet anyway I would rather spend the rest on something else if I can't get anything with better HW when it comes to TPA. Or at least, not until FS decide to improve android version.

THX

Munky

Apr 28, 2013
A Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 is what I play on now. Had been playing PC almost exclusively until I got this.

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
which is great. As it is it's little brother.......... but that doesn't help me. I don't need super duper mega tablet if TPA will use 20% of it.

Indy99

May 24, 2013
The rumors are HTC is going to release a Nexus 9 inch tablet in mid-october. I am waiting on more details on this one myself. I have been very happy with my previous 2 Nexus 7 inch tablets. I have the HTC M8 phone and love it. HTC builds some good products.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Hey Kinggo!

Hope that helps!

+1 I play on a Galaxy Tab 3 8" and TPA works great.

Since there are newer Galaxy Tabs out there now (Tab S, Tab 4) Tab 3s should be coming down in price.

Maybe investigate the nVidia Shield too. Pricey but probably ideal for playing TPA.

Mad07

Feb 13, 2013
which is great. As it is it's little brother.......... but that doesn't help me. I don't need super duper mega tablet if TPA will use 20% of it.

+1
Pro note 12,2"
Believe me, if you've work, play, watch video ..... on a 12,2" you don't want have a smaller one. :) I see it also, how much I use my old Acer 510 (10") after the Pro is in house

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
and again.......... guys, I'm not going to pay ~550€ for cheapest 12.2 pro tab which has 750g. Especially not if TPA can't use all that power.
It's not that I don't know which tablet is better, it's just that I need it only for TPA. And if TPA as it is now can't use or don't need more than GT 3 8" than that's it.

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
+1 I play on a Galaxy Tab 3 8" and TPA works great.

Since there are newer Galaxy Tabs out there now (Tab S, Tab 4) Tab 3s should be coming down in price.

Maybe investigate the nVidia Shield too. Pricey but probably ideal for playing TPA.

Nvidia Shield would be my choice.

I think any 2014 tablet would run High LOD pretty well.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
NVidia Shield is staggering as a device for TPA. The shield controller uses Wi-Fi Direct, which halves the latency of Bluetooth inputs.

My scores have improved while playing TPA on this hardware combination. I managed 65Bn on AFM for the first time ever.

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
yes, shield is great. As most likely will be nexus 9 or like any of the galaxy pro tablets are. But shiled with controller is almost 300 in UK (I also have to import it). And GT 3 8.0 is like a 100 here. And if TPA feels the same, what's the point? And I'll root it and install CM, so varranty will be woid.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
yes, shield is great. As most likely will be nexus 9 or like any of the galaxy pro tablets are. But shiled with controller is almost 300 in UK (I also have to import it). And GT 3 8.0 is like a 100 here. And if TPA feels the same, what's the point? And I'll root it and install CM, so varranty will be woid.
I imported mine to Australia...

Worth every cent for me, but YMMV.

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
exactly. I need it only for TPA. And as it seems, FS like legacy devices :D I'll rather buy something cheap that will do the job and then replace it in a year or so than buy something expensive that will never be fully used.

McGuirk

Feb 25, 2012
I thought I read about some issues with the SHIELD's Wi-Fi antenna being a big problem. Was that addressed? I'm considering that, as well as the Tab S, Tab Pro (really just a step back in resolution), and whatever else comes out. My N7 2013 is hanging in there, so I'm holding on. I work for a store, so I can wait a bit and save a little money in the process.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I thought I read about some issues with the SHIELD's Wi-Fi antenna being a big problem. Was that addressed? I'm considering that, as well as the Tab S, Tab Pro (really just a step back in resolution), and whatever else comes out. My N7 2013 is hanging in there, so I'm holding on. I work for a store, so I can wait a bit and save a little money in the process.
It's true that the Wi-Fi antenna on the Shield Tab aren't the best. It also seems to depend on the type of router, it's overall broadcast strength, and whether you simply got a tablet in the affected batch.

Some folks are reporting zero issues. Some have constant drop-outs.

My signal is a little weak, but not enough to lose connectivity. My router is at one end of the house and I'm in the other. And for the record, the Wi-Fi strength indicator on my laptop is showing the same strength as the tablet.

And, full disclosure, I also have the issue with cracked edges on the tablet as well. NVidia is looking after me there with a RMA once the new devices with improved manufacturing in that area of the device are received. Should be in a couple of weeks now.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
I'd wait a month and buy the Nexus 9 when released.

Made by HTC, same processor as the Shield (K1), Android 5.0L os, and it's a Nexus so will get upgrades first and stay fresh for years.

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
sorry for bumping this up but.......
my tab 3 8.0 didn't last long because of that thing in my avatar. But now I found xperia Z2 LTE tab almost new for a very good price but it already has lollipop installed. And since people had various issues on devices with lollipop (and not just with TPA) does anyone here have that combination and how does that work? I would like to avoid downgrading to KK if I don't have to. Don't have much time to mess with that right now. And I have a chance to get rid of old one but if the above combo has issues than I'll keep it until those get sorted.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Don't apologise for wanting to make an informed decision about hardware, [MENTION=4113]kinggo[/MENTION].

I have Zero issues with Android 5.1 on the Shield Tab when using TPA.

What do the full geek spec sheets say for the XPeria Z2? I know for sure that you can use a PS3 controller without root on the Sony range of tablets, which is a pretty sweet feature. They have implemented a custom BT stack that makes PS3 controllers work natively.

Because TPA uses a single CPU and single GPU thread for processing, you need to ensure that the tablet's GPU is up to scratch. If you look at the N7 2013, it was perfectly capable of running TPA when I owned one. So if the processor architecture is comparable on the Z2, then lock it in!

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts