TPA HW requirements (searching for new tablet)

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I'd wait a month and buy the Nexus 9 when released.

Made by HTC, same processor as the Shield (K1), Android 5.0L os, and it's a Nexus so will get upgrades first and stay fresh for years.
It's interesting in hindsight about how updates on the N9 were handled. It doesn't bode well for other HTC manufactured devices, and the confidence they wont inspire regarding timely Nexus program updates.

I just got Android 5.1 for the Shield Tab today. It's working great.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
It's interesting in hindsight about how updates on the N9 were handled. It doesn't bode well for other HTC manufactured devices, and the confidence they wont inspire regarding timely Nexus program updates.

I just got Android 5.1 for the Shield Tab today. It's working great.
Don't know why, but Note4 SM-910F, ran TPA fine when running KK4.4.4. Upgraded the OS to Lollipop 5.0.1 and it's full of stutter and lag now.
Mostly as the camera pans, but also in game with ball movement.

No other apps have problems, even high graphically demanding apps. Just TPA - go figure.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Don't know why, but Note4 SM-910F, ran TPA fine when running KK4.4.4. Upgraded the OS to Lollipop 5.0.1 and it's full of stutter and lag now.
Mostly as the camera pans, but also in game with ball movement.

No other apps have problems, even high graphically demanding apps. Just TPA - go figure.
I'm sure you would have done all the normal user app fixes at your disposal, so I won't even suggest them all. ;)

It would probably be a long shot anyhow if all other graphically intensive games are running smoothly.

You've only just got the Note 4, correct? If so, I wouldn't suggest a factory reset would fix the issues.

I am intrigued.

Last edited:

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
I'm sure you would have done all the normal user app fixes at your disposal, so I won't even suggest them all. ;)

It would probably be a long shot anyhow if all other graphically intensive games are running smoothly.
Yeah tried the lot, including switching off device gesture settings. Just this minute tried and full app uninstall and clean reinstall on the new OS, but no dice. And it's given me the added bonus of wiping my Google play saved game for some reason. Despite having carefully saved it before wiping, I now have no saved goals. Thanks Farsight.

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
What do the full geek spec sheets say for the XPeria Z2?
That it is far and beyond of TPA needs. Light years ahead of the current one. http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_z2_tablet_lte-6145.php
I know for sure that you can use a PS3 controller without root on the Sony range of tablets, which is a pretty sweet feature. They have implemented a custom BT stack that makes PS3 controllers work natively.
I know, I'll check that out. Maybe in some combo with TV, like shield, when I am at home. But it will be mostly used on the go or somewhere outside so I'm pretty sure that I'll use just tablet. For now.
I was considering shield again because of the Portal, but this came out of nowhere for way less than LTE shield. Even if I buy dualshock it will sill be less than half price of shield with controller and cover. It really wasn't a tough decision even if TPA doesn't work properly.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Yeah tried the lot, including switching off device gesture settings. Just this minute tried and full app uninstall and clean reinstall on the new OS, but no dice. And it's given me the added bonus of wiping my Google play saved game for some reason. Despite having carefully saved it before wiping, I now have no saved goals. Thanks Farsight.
So tell me how you backed up the achievements:

1. Google Play > Saved Games
2. Tap Save Game.

You had available slots (three max).

I noticed that the GPS authentication splash was different this time around (Xenon GA). It could be something to do with GPS on Android 5.1 compared to Android 5.0.2, as this is the first time I've played TPA since updating last night.

And I also noted that GPS also seemed to add the Google Drive permission (which may have been there all the time, but I didn't pay any attention before).

Are there any saved game files in your Google Drive perchance? If there are, they will be in your Apps folder.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
That it is far and beyond of TPA needs. Light years ahead of the current one. http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_z2_tablet_lte-6145.php

I know, I'll check that out. Maybe in some combo with TV, like shield, when I am at home. But it will be mostly used on the go or somewhere outside so I'm pretty sure that I'll use just tablet. For now.
I was considering shield again because of the Portal, but this came out of nowhere for way less than LTE shield. Even if I buy dualshock it will sill be less than half price of shield with controller and cover. It really wasn't a tough decision even if TPA doesn't work properly.
Yep, the device looks like a Juggernaut for the price!

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
So tell me how you backed up the achievements:

1. Google Play > Saved Games
2. Tap Save Game.

You had available slots (three max).

I noticed that the GPS authentication splash was different this time around (Xenon GA). It could be something to do with GPS on Android 5.1 compared to Android 5.0.2, as this is the first time I've played TPA since updating last night.

And I also noted that GPS also seemed to add the Google Drive permission (which may have been there all the time, but I didn't pay any attention before).

Are there any saved game files in your Google Drive perchance? If there are, they will be in your Apps folder.
Followed your same steps 1 & 2
I cleaned my saved files prior to saving from the Note. I had a backup from my old S4 but deleted it, then backed up/saved from the Note. Deleted app, reinstalled, went to restore the save and I have no entries out of three possible.

My old N7 still has them so I can get them from here though.
Got some menu glitches too I just posted in the bugs thread.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Followed your same steps 1 & 2
I cleaned my saved files prior to saving from the Note. I had a backup from my old S4 but deleted it, then backed up/saved from the Note. Deleted app, reinstalled, went to restore the save and I have no entries out of three possible.

My old N7 still has them so I can get them from here though.
Got some menu glitches too I just posted in the bugs thread.
Well, at least you had *something*. That's better than jack-all. But it's still not a good UX.

I've said it before: the GPS Saved Games menu is fraught with poor UX. It is an area FarSight can definitely improve upon.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Well, at least you had *something*. That's better than jack-all. But it's still not a good UX.

I've said it before: the GPS Saved Games menu is fraught with poor UX. It is an area FarSight can definitely improve upon.
Just went upstairs to retrieve the N7, fired up TPA on it, went to save the goals from it, and the save from the Note was visible there.
Fired up TPA on the Note4 and now I can see it there too.

McGuirk

Feb 25, 2012
Since I posted in this thread regarding looking for a new Android tablet a long time ago, I'll update and say I ended up getting an iPad Air 2. Not just for TPA, but at least I know the performance is a little more assured there. The graphics certainly look better, but I'll occasionally get a crash when I launch TPA sometime after exiting.

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
Since I posted in this thread regarding looking for a new Android tablet a long time ago, I'll update and say I ended up getting an iPad Air 2. Not just for TPA, but at least I know the performance is a little more assured there. The graphics certainly look better, but I'll occasionally get a crash when I launch TPA sometime after exiting.

Hard to argue with that.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013

Hard to argue with that.
There's nothing else to say - one less of us, and another one of them. Damned shame. Sorry we lost you.

McGuirk

Feb 25, 2012
There's nothing else to say - one less of us, and another one of them. Damned shame. Sorry we lost you.

Well, I'm sticking to Android phones for now (just got the LG G4), and since I bought all these tables on Android, I'll load TPA onto my phone so I have it at the ready.

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
Just FYI, Z2 is great fort TPA. Don't know why but everything physics related feels so much better. Not sure if it is because of the screen size or because everything is enabled now or because it is so much more powerful. Or everything is just in my head but I like my pins more now.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts