TPA licensing agreement with Sony Pictures

Nightwing

Aug 1, 2012
If you listen to the latest Blahcade podcast - (and you should! ) one of the things Bobby King from Farsight Studios talks about is a bulk licensing deal with Sony Pictures. He doesn't give out table details, but here is a list of Sony Pictures & related properties to get you thinking:

• Krull
  • Starship Troopers
  • Last Action Hero
  • Godzilla
  • Goldeneye
  • Mary Shelley ' s Frankenstein
  • Johnny Mnemonic
  • Spiderman

Think about those & smile :)...

Last edited:

pm1109

Dec 18, 2013
Is that the full list
I thought there would be a lot more sony based tables

Anyways I would pick Spiderman from that list

Last edited:

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
Spider-man would be subject to Marvel (fwiw Disney). That probably won't be happening unless a miracle occurs with the Disney discssion.

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
Well, they're no real tables based on Cliffhanger or Men In Black.

I'd really like to see JM and Krull. To a lesser extent, LAH. SM uses the S.A.M. MPU which has not been done yet. Has been said that it's too demanding for mobile devices.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013

I'd really like to see JM and Krull. To a lesser extent, LAH. SM uses the S.A.M. MPU which has not been done yet. Has been said that it's too demanding for mobile devices.

They also need to go through Disney for Spider-Man. Which makes things considerably more complex.

I wonder if this was how the managed to cinch the deal for TAF...

Nightwing

Aug 1, 2012

Is that the full list
I thought there would be a lot more sony based tables

Anyways I would pick Spiderman from that list

It is not a definitive list. Just films that I knew that come under the Sony/Columbia/Tristar banner. Someone in the podcast thread said Robocop - MGM owns that. I'm also not 100% sure about Goldeneye either. If you guys want more, there's Google :)

I thought I remembered a Cliffhanger table at least. Obviously I was mistaken, so that & MIB are removed from the list. If anyone comes up with any more names - post them & I'll add the tally...

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012

Men in Black is Disney as well (the comic book was published by a company that got bought out by Marvel a long time ago).

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
Men in Black is Disney as well (the comic book was published by a company that got bought out by Marvel a long time ago).

The comic book is. The films are Sony.

...I was about to debate the potential licensing issues here but then I remembered there isn't a MIB pinball machine...

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
honestly, none of these actually tickles me. Well, Spiderman, but it is very unlikely for various reasons in the near future so it's not even worth dreaming of.
JM and Goldeneye are not bad, but also not something that I really want.

Nightwing

Aug 1, 2012
If I had to guess one table from that list as a TPA lock,I'd say Johnny Mnemonic. Personally, I'd like to get Krull, because of the extreme rarity of the table. Starship Troopers would be nice, though...

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Spider-man would be subject to Marvel (fwiw Disney). That probably won't be happening unless a miracle occurs with the Disney discssion.

They also need to go through Disney for Spider-Man. Which makes things considerably more complex.

I wonder if this was how the managed to cinch the deal for TAF...

If the table is based on the Movies, then the rights are currently owned by Sony, they will belong to Sony until they decide not to renew them.

Before Disney bought Marvel, well before that anyway, Marvel sold off movie rights to a lot of it's properties to keep itself afloat and while they are trying to buy them back, they still don't have some of them...that's why they weren't able to use some character names in Guardians of the Galaxy and had to refer to them in a descriptive fashion.

Spiderman is a possibility.

Wheel of Fortune would be kind of cool.

marvel-rights_4444x3556.png

Last edited:

soundwave106

Nov 6, 2013
Add Hook as well.

Goldeneye is MGM / UA btw.

I'm going to guess this means we're going to finally see some Data East machines, the bulk of the machines I found for this deal are of these type.

Last edited:

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I've said it elsewhere, but it would make a world of sense for Johnny Mnemonic to be the first of those table that gets into TPA.

It's a solid, well-liked table, and there are no emulation issues it being a mid-90s WMS DMD.

francis247uk

Jul 7, 2012
I've said it elsewhere, but it would make a world of sense for Johnny Mnemonic to be the first of those table that gets into TPA.

It's a solid, well-liked table, and there are no emulation issues it being a mid-90s WMS DMD.

Never really heard of it before, just watched the promo video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dI5yGE2pPk)

Looks interesting. Keanus all over the machine and playfield though, does that make it less likely?

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts