TPA on ipad air

MadScience2006

Oct 5, 2012
The Air has managed to crash TPA several times so far. I suspect it's TPA but maybe iOS7 and the Air.
I believe there's more to blame in iOS 7 than with TPA. Logically, if making a significant change to one thing (iOS 7) while keeping something else (TPA) the same, the usual suspect would be the one (iOS 7) which has changed the most.

But then again, it could be (as you mentioned) a combination of both iOS 7 and TPA since TPA does have some obvious issues (messed up (shrunken) menus/DMD displays) in iOS 7. In this case, it's anyone's guess who the real culprit is.

haj

Sep 28, 2012
my bad, I meant I think it's more like iOS7 & Air which is responsible to the crashes. And it's not only TPA which crashes which didn't on iPad2. Maybe 64bit thing?

MadScience2006

Oct 5, 2012
And it's not only TPA which crashes which didn't on iPad2. Maybe 64bit thing?
I doubt it's the 64-bit aspect of the iPad Air since I've never ever seen a crash on my iPad mini Retina. The mini Retina is identical to the Air as far as hardware goes. The mini Retina is just a smaller iPad Air...actually the mini Retina holds more to the name "Air" than the Air does with the mini Retina weighing 0.73 pound (331 g) and the Air weighing 1 pound (469 g). Reading various sources, it almost seems as if there is a memory leak in iOS 7 for the iPad. I've heard numerous reports of the crashing.

Last edited:

heddhunter

Sep 29, 2012
The Air's hardware tag is "iPad4,1" and the code that sets the UI scale was only checking for strings that start with "iPad3" (all retina iPads prior to the Air start with an "iPad3" tag). In other words, the UI is incorrectly set to use the non-retina scale.

Just out of curiosity, why aren't you using [[UIScreen mainScreen] scale];

Stuart Webster

Apr 24, 2013
Just out of curiosity, why aren't you using [[UIScreen mainScreen] scale];

Most likely because it was initially set up in a rush. I was told that retina came out just as Pinball Arcade was getting ready for its first submission on iOS. :)

Thanks for the tip.

Edit: there's also a bunch of engine-level settings dialed in depending on the device type and generation, so I'm guessing that the original developer decided to utilize those two components to set the UI scale.

Last edited:

Patrick

May 21, 2012
Hi guys.
Ipad air at home since few days. The only think i hope is that Farsight will use the extra power to add a beautiful post processing mod to the game. The lack of a good enlightment is now the only thing missing.

iamoneagain

Oct 4, 2012
Hi guys.
Ipad air at home since few days. The only think i hope is that Farsight will use the extra power to add a beautiful post processing mod to the game. The lack of a good enlightment is now the only thing missing.

They have added the post processing option back in the main options menu for the latest ipad. I just checked the iPad 4 and it's not offered, which is good since it was too slow when it was available. Now on the iPad air it runs smooth but haven't played enough to see what it is doing. Couldn't tell if it's a bug, but in Ciqus Voltaire is could see the difference in color overall but the right neon was't lighting up.

DopedToInfinity

Mar 31, 2012
They have added the post processing option back in the main options menu for the latest ipad. I just checked the iPad 4 and it's not offered, which is good since it was too slow when it was available. Now on the iPad air it runs smooth but haven't played enough to see what it is doing. Couldn't tell if it's a bug, but in Ciqus Voltaire is could see the difference in color overall but the right neon was't lighting up.

Yeah, it's a bug, the neon works fine with PP off.

Patrick

May 21, 2012

I don't know what happens with me but post processing doesn't work for me. And if it is the same as before, I think it would need to be revisited because the result was not good concerning colors.

Stuart Webster

Apr 24, 2013
The option for post processing must have slipped in. The engine dev wanted to see if the Air could handle it, but I don't think any of the actual post processing code is in the build besides the option.

iamoneagain

Oct 4, 2012
The option for post processing must have slipped in. The engine dev wanted to see if the Air could handle it, but I don't think any of the actual post processing code is in the build besides the option.

Please check Cirqus Voltaire and you will see it has some kind of effect on the game. And if the iPad Air can handle it, please include the option.

Nightwing

Aug 1, 2012
So I also upgraded from an iPad 2 to the Air, and while it took me a little bit of time to get things configured to the way I wanted, I'm glad I took the plunge.

The retina display makes a big difference visually. I like it! And more importantly - I don't see the lag tgat I have been seeing on some of the TPA tables. TOM played very smooth , as well as T2. I'll try playing some more tables and post my impressions later...

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
Since there's no thread about the new iPad Mini I thought I'd provide some thoughts about TPA on it on this one. The specs on the iPad Mini Retina and iPad Air are similar. Performance on the mini is really good. A huge improvement over the original mini. Ball speed and framerate is smooth, even on performance heavy tables like RBION, TZ and CV. Also, post processing doesn't seem to affect performance at all on these tables, even during multiball. Only negative is I don't see what improvement it has either. If anyone can point out the improvements of post processing, let me know. All in all, I'm quite pleased with TPA on the new mini as I love the size of this device combined with the guts of the higher powered iPad Air.

gsxrboy

Feb 21, 2012
If anyone can point out the improvements of post processing, let me know. All in all, I'm quite pleased with TPA on the new mini as I love the size of this device combined with the guts of the higher powered iPad Air.

The post processing in the options doesn't do anything at all. It was a error leaving the menu option in as it has nothing behind it. That's why you don't see any difference. It may return one day functioning!

I'm on a retina mini and it's great. It gets a little warmer than the first mini in a long TPA session but the improvements everywhere else make it worthwhile. :)

Buzz1126

Dec 27, 2013
In reading this thread, and seeing the image that Kevlar posted, I'm gonna have to scrounge enough cash to upgrade my iPad first gen. But for now, I'm content to work with what I have. The image of "Victory", even on my screen was sharper, clearer. Now I'm gonna have to aim at my target, don't know if I can justify an Air, but maybe a Fourth Gen, maybe a Mini. When I do, I'll post the happy event!

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.