TPA Wii U version info?

Hinph

Feb 29, 2012
Nintendo consoles really act as a counterpart to the other guys at this point. You buy a Nintendo console or handheld because you want to play Nintendo games... they are still, consistently, the most pure, fun-focused video games out there, and you can't get them anywhere else.

Rafie: I was referring to the console, not TPA. Reports have been saying that the CPU and RAM of the Wii U is slightly inferior to the PS3/360, but there's a lot of conflicting reports between developers. Ultimately, you are right. The final products look on par with the other systems and include some extra spiffy controller support.... so whatever. Heh. This is why I buy multiple consoles each generation.

Last edited:

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Not to start a console war here, but yes while the games may be on par with the 360 or PS3, my point was that those are 6 year old consoles we're talking about.

When the PS4 and 720 (or whatever they call it) are released, in the next year or two, will 3rd party developers look so fondly on the Wii U when they have to lower resolutions and drop frame rates to get them to run?

Lord Boron

Apr 18, 2012
3rd party developers have always shied away from the Nintendo consoles since the N64. That's nothing new. You don't really buy a Nintendo consol to play CoD.

Hinph

Feb 29, 2012
Not likely. The Wii U will be for playing Nintendo games and the occasional third party exclusive and you'll have to get a PS4 or 720 if you want the big multiconsole releases. So a repeat of this generation. I am sure Nintendo had to be aware of this when planning the system and just doesn't care much. Hah.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Instead of comparing the first Wii U games to the newest Xbox 360 and PS3 games, everyone should be comparing the first Wii U games, which look pretty close to the latest Xbox 360 and PS3 games, to the first games that were released for the Xbox 360 (7 years ago) and PS3 (6 years ago) which look nowhere near as good as the first Wii U games. You see, developers already know the ins and outs of the Xbox 360 and PS3, but have yet to tap into the power of the Wii U. You can't push a system to it's full potential with the first couple rounds of game releases, you need some experience with a new system before you can do that.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Instead of comparing the first Wii U games to the newest Xbox 360 and PS3 games, everyone should be comparing the first Wii U games, which look pretty close to the latest Xbox 360 and PS3 games, to the first games that were released for the Xbox 360 (7 years ago) and PS3 (6 years ago) which look nowhere near as good as the first Wii U games. You see, developers already know the ins and outs of the Xbox 360 and PS3, but have yet to tap into the power of the Wii U. You can't push a system to it's full potential with the first couple rounds of game releases, you need some experience with a new system before you can do that.

The pS3 had some impressive launch titles from what I recall.
Ridge Racer 7 even ran in native 1080p.

I just think everyone was expecting New Super Mario Bros U to be in full 1080p when Nintendo kept pushing that as a feature. I believe they had it running in 1080p, but then dropped it to 720p because of performance issues. Thy even had it listed at "1080p!" On their website, later changed to "HD!"

That doesn't sound too good to me when they can't get their flagship 2D game running at 1080p.
When the new systems come out 1080/60 will be the goal for every game.
It's going to really date the Wii U before it's time.

pseudokings

Jun 10, 2012
The pS3 had some impressive launch titles from what I recall.
Ridge Racer 7 even ran in native 1080p.

I just think everyone was expecting New Super Mario Bros U to be in full 1080p when Nintendo kept pushing that as a feature. I believe they had it running in 1080p, but then dropped it to 720p because of performance issues. Thy even had it listed at "1080p!" On their website, later changed to "HD!"

That doesn't sound too good to me when they can't get their flagship 2D game running at 1080p.
When the new systems come out 1080/60 will be the goal for every game.
It's going to really date the Wii U before it's time.

Yeah, look back at those earliest PS3/360 games, as in look at screens or pop one in your system. Not so great compared to NG3:RE, which is 1080p 60fps (to the best of my knowledge - with the occasional frame drop), and is better anti-aliased than on PS3/360. Oh, and 1080/60 is the "goal" of Wii U games.

And where is this "New Super U isn't 1080p 60fps" info coming from? The Wii U outputs 1080p always if you have a 1080p TV, so if a game is running internally at less, you're TV isn't going to know (as in you can't just press the info button and know). It lists 1080p as a supported resolution on the eShop (where you can buy it as a DL) if I'm not mistaken. So where on the ever reliable internets did you read this? Besides, let's say it's true, so what? Ninja Gaiden runs at 1080/60, and it's doing a hell of a lot more graphically than New Super U. Sorry, but you're argument doesn't hold water.

As someone who actually owns one, I have been incredibly impressed. It works incredibly smoothly, adding a USB HDD was no sweat, the Wii to Wii U Transfer was easy, Wii games look massively better with the clean digital HDMI output, The Gamepad is really cool and it's little screen looks very nice (even if technically not HD resolution), the web browser is fantastic, the eShop works well, it really has surpassed my expectations. As far as graphics go? The graphics are every bit as good as these late in the generation "I've given 'er all she's got, Captain!" games on the PS3/360, and this is launch, which means there is significant room for improvement. And third party games? Who cares? You buy a Nintendo console to play Nintendo games. That said, Aliens: Colonial Marines will have it's definitive version on Wii U, NG3:RE is the definitive version on Wii U, Tekken Tag 2's definitive version is on Wii U, and Nintendo with publishing NG3:RE, and paying Platinum Games to make The Wonderful 101, and Bayonetta 2 (both should be awesome), are showing that they get they need to expand their list of exclusives and partners to offer a consistent stream of new and classic IP. Will the PS4/Nextbox kick it's ass graphically? Of course. Will the makers of multi-platform overrated dreck say the Wii U isn't worth their dev time and money a few years from now? Probably. But exclusives are the name of the game, and Nintendo does, and will continue to have a top-tier lineup of them. If all you want to do is Madden and COD, then by all means, wait for the PS4/Nextbox. Oh, BTW, the Wii U launched with both of those games.

I'm not into starting fights on the internet, so nothing personal, I just can't stand speculation and misinformation masquerading as facts.

pseudokings

Jun 10, 2012
I was referring to the WiiU's version of TPA. I have the WiiU as well. I guess that's what Hinph meant.

Anyway, it's still too early to say if the WiiU does or doesn't have better graphics than the PS3 or 360. Right now in my honest opinion, the WiiU's games looks on par with the PS3 and 360. I have 6 games including that Batman: AC game and it looks PHENOMENAL!!!

@pseudokings- Well put my friend. Well put. I'm an ol' school gamer ('85-present) and I most certainly agree with everything you said.

Thanks for the kind words, Rafie. I started gaming around '85 too, when I was a real little guy.

pseudokings

Jun 10, 2012
Hey, FARSIGHT people, update????????????????? Come on, give us something. Number of Packs available at launch? Expected launch month? Something.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Yeah, look back at those earliest PS3/360 games, as in look at screens or pop one in your system. Not so great compared to NG3:RE, which is 1080p 60fps (to the best of my knowledge - with the occasional frame drop), and is better anti-aliased than on PS3/360. Oh, and 1080/60 is the "goal" of Wii U games.

And where is this "New Super U isn't 1080p 60fps" info coming from? The Wii U outputs 1080p always if you have a 1080p TV, so if a game is running internally at less, you're TV isn't going to know (as in you can't just press the info button and know). It lists 1080p as a supported resolution on the eShop (where you can buy it as a DL) if I'm not mistaken. So where on the ever reliable internets did you read this? Besides, let's say it's true, so what? Ninja Gaiden runs at 1080/60, and it's doing a hell of a lot more graphically than New Super U. Sorry, but you're argument doesn't hold water.

As someone who actually owns one, I have been incredibly impressed. It works incredibly smoothly, adding a USB HDD was no sweat, the Wii to Wii U Transfer was easy, Wii games look massively better with the clean digital HDMI output, The Gamepad is really cool and it's little screen looks very nice (even if technically not HD resolution), the web browser is fantastic, the eShop works well, it really has surpassed my expectations. As far as graphics go? The graphics are every bit as good as these late in the generation "I've given 'er all she's got, Captain!" games on the PS3/360, and this is launch, which means there is significant room for improvement. And third party games? Who cares? You buy a Nintendo console to play Nintendo games. That said, Aliens: Colonial Marines will have it's definitive version on Wii U, NG3:RE is the definitive version on Wii U, Tekken Tag 2's definitive version is on Wii U, and Nintendo with publishing NG3:RE, and paying Platinum Games to make The Wonderful 101, and Bayonetta 2 (both should be awesome), are showing that they get they need to expand their list of exclusives and partners to offer a consistent stream of new and classic IP. Will the PS4/Nextbox kick it's ass graphically? Of course. Will the makers of multi-platform overrated dreck say the Wii U isn't worth their dev time and money a few years from now? Probably. But exclusives are the name of the game, and Nintendo does, and will continue to have a top-tier lineup of them. If all you want to do is Madden and COD, then by all means, wait for the PS4/Nextbox. Oh, BTW, the Wii U launched with both of those games.

I'm not into starting fights on the internet, so nothing personal, I just can't stand speculation and misinformation masquerading as facts.

Not sure what part of my text you believe to be "misinformation" exactly.
It's based on fact. New Super Mario U is 720p as is every launch title for the Wii U. Not a single one is true 1080p despite what your TV is telling you. We're talking native 1080p, not upscaling.

I do own a Wii U also, I preordered it the second it was available to pre-order.
I've been playing Nintendo games since before the NES even existed and I am one of their biggest fans, but I do think Nintendo is making a bad choice by under powering the system. I already sees some frustrated 3rd party developers that just aren't getting the performance they need.

So for me it's Nintendo games on the Wii and everything else on the PS3 or PC.

And no it's not about just he graphics for me. I still play my Atari 2600, NES, and Neo-Geo on ocassion, but if the same game is released on "the big three" I'll go with the better looking and smoothest playing and it's doubtful that will be the WiiU.

Also I'm not a fan of either Madden nor COD, I'm not sure what I said that lead you to think I like generic rehashed and worn out games because the graphics are decent.

I enjoy original innovative games, Indy games, and of course pinball.

pseudokings

Jun 10, 2012
Not sure what part of my text you believe to be "misinformation" exactly.
It's based on fact. New Super Mario U is 720p as is every launch title for the Wii U. Not a single one is true 1080p despite what your TV is telling you. We're talking native 1080p, not upscaling.

I do own a Wii U also, I preordered it the second it was available to pre-order.
I've been playing Nintendo games since before the NES even existed and I am one of their biggest fans, but I do think Nintendo is making a bad choice by under powering the system. I already sees some frustrated 3rd party developers that just aren't getting the performance they need.

So for me it's Nintendo games on the Wii and everything else on the PS3 or PC.

And no it's not about just he graphics for me. I still play my Atari 2600, NES, and Neo-Geo on ocassion, but if the same game is released on "the big three" I'll go with the better looking and smoothest playing and it's doubtful that will be the WiiU.

Also I'm not a fan of either Madden nor COD, I'm not sure what I said that lead you to think I like generic rehashed and worn out games because the graphics are decent.

I enjoy original innovative games, Indy games, and of course pinball.

Name one game that's popularity has been hurt by it's native resolution on PS3/Wii U/360/Wii, etc.? Name 5 games that are graphically intensive that are real true native 1080p on anything other than a PC? What percentage of people are going to really care that PS4/Nextbox are going to be 1080p/60fps for the majority of games? They sold 100M Wiis with a standard def output signal, against HD systems. No one cares. Okay, so if you Google up native resolutions for videogames you probably will find out that most everything doesn't match the system's maximum output resolution, including Wii U games, but you will also find that only "graphics whores" care. New Super U is great fun. Best 2D Mario ever, IMO. That's what matters. Besides, another year goes by before the PS4/Nextbox, and that many more kids might decide they'd rather goof around with an iPad than get a console, any console. I find that horrifying, but it does seem to be the trend of things. Will even better graphics and more and better looking versions of multi-console games guarantee the PS4/Nextbox will outsell the Wii U? No. It won't hurt them, but their price-points might. I would prefer the Wii U was a technical juggernaut, of course, but I have it, I love it, and I hope it succeeds.

AND I WANT THE PINBALL ARCADE ON IT ASAP!

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
What percentage of people are going to really care that PS4/Nextbox are going to be 1080p/60fps for the majority of games?

More than you think.
This next generation of consoles is all about hitting 1080p/60fps and the companies know this. The graphics are still very good with this generation of PS3 and 360 games so it's very important
to improve on some features that may be lacking. People have 1080p HDTV's and they want to get the most out of them.

I have done comparisons between 720p and 1080p on games like Super Stardust HD, Wipeout HD, and The Pinball Arcade and can honestly say all look better in 1080p.
TPA does have some lower res textures on some tables that stick out a bit more, but it's nothing they can't fix.

Okay, so if you Google up native resolutions for videogames you probably will find out that most everything doesn't match the system's maximum output resolution, including Wii U games, but you will also find that only "graphics whores" care.

Well, I certainly don't consider myself a graphics whore, but yes I do care.
If I had the choice of buying a Blu-Ray movie that was encoded in 720p as well as in 1080p, and they cost exactly the same amount of money, I would choose the better looking of the two.
Games should be no different.

Anyway, I still play Atari 2600 games. If a game is fun I will play it. If a game can look better while being fun.. Hey, why not!?

MrTwister

Aug 9, 2012
Farsight, you're integrate the DMD on the WiiU pad, but please make an Option to use DMD on the Pad for DMD and planing on pro Controller...

Why, think about the death of the some 360 pad by massively playing.. and you know the cost for a New WiiU pad!

Last edited:

pseudokings

Jun 10, 2012
Farsight, you're integrate the DMD on the WiiU pad, but please make an Option to use DMD on the Pad for DMD and planing on pro Controller...

Why, think about the death of the some 360 pad by massively playing.. and you know the cost for a New WiiU pad!

Great thought, hey FS, like the man said!

Oh, and a real update/some real details on said Wii U version would be nice, like yesterday.

JosiahB

Nov 6, 2012
Oh, and a real update/some real details on said Wii U version would be nice, like yesterday.

The update in the Pinball Arcade Newsletter #9, saying that the Wii U version is in Beta testing doesn't count? Here's the update:

Nintendo Wii-U Update

Pinball Arcade for the Wii-U is now in Beta testing! The Wii-U is going to be a great platform to get your pinball fix- the DMD shows on the GamePad screen, and the lower triggers on the GamePad feel just right for controlling the flippers!
(By the way, that newsletter was sent out yesterday. ;P)

Rafie

Jul 17, 2012
The update in the Pinball Arcade Newsletter #9, saying that the Wii U version is in Beta testing doesn't count? Here's the update:

(By the way, that newsletter was sent out yesterday. ;P)

Thanks for the update! I'm patiently...well kind of patiently waiting for the WiiU version to drop. It's going to be epic! It would be kind of nice if TPA got the license to the Super Mario table. Hehe

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
wii_u_specs.png

The Wii U specs look fine and I personally can't wait to play The Pinball Arcade on the Wii U. Also, with no patch fees and PC equivalent approval processes, I would expect regular fixes and new table updates very close to that of Android and iOS.

pseudokings

Jun 10, 2012
wii_u_specs.png

The Wii U specs look fine and I personally can't wait to play The Pinball Arcade on the Wii U. Also, with no patch fees and PC equivalent approval processes, I would expect regular fixes and new table updates very close to that of Android and iOS.

Thank you, sir. Now, hopefully FS is making good use of it's capabilities, and will launch TPA on Wii U ASAP, and will all current packs (1-7 + TZ).
And hopefully they'll tell us something more than "we've got a Beta together" soon.

Rafie

Jul 17, 2012
wii_u_specs.png

Wow those specs are incredibly impressive. I have all 3 systems and I really don't see that much difference in the 360 and PS3 to be quite honest. Well if you're looking at games like Bayonetta, then yeah the 360 is the way to go. That's not what this is about though. The WiiU may be the best looking for TPA. I'm so excited to get it on there. I have 40.00 in the store just waiting for good content to be released. TPA is definitely something I'm getting launch day. Thank you, Pin Wiz for the specs.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts