Upcoming Stern table... THE MUPPETS?!?

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
I love The Muppets, but without authentic voices from Jim Henson, Frank Oz, Steve Whitmire, etc.. It would be disappointing. At least for the people that grew up with the original cast, which I assume is the target audience for this table. Or worse yet it could be based on the new movies?

They could repurpose those amazing Palisades figures for toys. They would be the best looking toys in a pinball machine.

Ah, we have a purist in our midst! I think we can bet on it being based on the new movies. I know they're not as good as the originals (my favourite is The Muppets Take Manhattan), but I will say that I was very mentally ill when I saw the last movie and I left the theatre with a big smile on my face. So I'll always remember that movie fondly.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
Ah, we have a purist in our midst! I think we can bet on it being based on the new movies. I know they're not as good as the originals (my favourite is The Muppets Take Manhattan), but I will say that I was very mentally ill when I saw the last movie and I left the theatre with a big smile on my face. So I'll always remember that movie fondly.
Are you talking about the first of the new ones? I don't know if the second one is out yet or not.

I was kind of the same way when seeing it. The first 5 minutes I was kinda thrown by the voices that didn't sound quite right, but after I noticed they had their personalities/mannerisms down pat, I realised I quickly forgot how they sounded.

Oh, this table has to have stand-up targets that go "meep" each time you hit them (a la the AC/DC Pro's TNT targets "oi!").

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012

Yeah, I grew up with them. I'd watch The Muppet Show on TV, I owned the Muppet Movie soundtrack on vinyl.
I just wish they would use pre-recorded original voices from other sources. Sort of like they did with The Wizard of Oz.

Jim Henson was the heart and soul of the Muppets.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
Yeah, I grew up with them. I'd watch The Muppet Show on TV, I owned the Muppet Movie soundtrack on vinyl.
I just wish they would use pre-recorded original voices from other sources. Sort of like they did with The Wizard of Oz.

Unless someone finds an archive recording of Jim shouting "JACKPOT!" and "EXTRA BALL!", we can probably rule that out. Frank Oz isn't too keen to return either. It's an unfortunate situation but I have got used to the new voices pretty quickly.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Unless someone finds an archive recording of Jim shouting "JACKPOT!" and "EXTRA BALL!", we can probably rule that out. Frank Oz isn't too keen to return either. It's an unfortunate situation but I have got used to the new voices pretty quickly.

I'd rather not hear them yelling those things anyway. I think it's unnecessary. I'd much rather hear the original catch phrases by the original cast.
There's no reason they couldn't use pre-recorded lines for the majority of it and then have those same old pinball lines done by Steve Whitmire (as one of his original Muppets such as Rizzo the Rat).

The last game to feature most of the original cast was Muppets Race Mania on the PS1 and that's exactly what they had done. They used archived audio and some newly recorded voice and it turned out well.

I am pretty particular about audio when it comes to this stuff. Like with Zen Pinball's Star Wars tables.. most of the voices make you cringe if you are familiar with how they should sound.. especially Yoda. Nobody sounds like Frank Oz! You don't hear the characters, you hear the imperfections. Unfortunately that's how the human brain works. It detects imperfections.

This should be a celebration of Jim Henson & the Muppets and therefore should have the originals that made it great, especially with a real pinball table.

It would be like if they came out with a new Simspsons Pinball and didn't use any of the original voices. (And yes I know the majority of the cast is still alive.) :)

Last edited:

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012

Speaking of WoZ, if Muppets was a JJP pin instead of Stern then I would buy one for sure.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
I'd rather not hear them yelling those things anyway. I think it's unnecessary. I'd much rather hear the original catch phrases by the original cast.
There's no reason they couldn't use pre-recorded lines for the majority of it and then have those same old pinball lines done by Steve Whitmire (as one of his original Muppets such as Rizzo the Rat).

The last game to feature most of the original cast was Muppets Race Mania on the PS1 and that's exactly what they had done. They used archived audio and some newly recorded voice and it turned out well.

I am pretty particular about audio when it comes to this stuff. Like with Zen Pinball's Star Wars tables.. most of the voices make you cringe if you are familiar with how they should sound.. especially Yoda. Nobody sounds like Frank Oz! You don't hear the characters, you hear the imperfections. Unfortunately that's how the human brain works. It detects imperfections.

This should be a celebration of Jim Henson & the Muppets and therefore should have the originals that made it great, especially with a real pinball table.

It would be like if they came out with a new Simspsons Pinball and didn't use any of the original voices. (And yes I know the majority of the cast is still alive.) :)

I don't think Disney would let that happen - they'll probably want brand consistency wrt the voices.

Emergency_Room

Nov 3, 2013
So excited for this. They haven't done a family table in a long time, either. Since... Shrek? And that was a reskin.

If Statler and Waldorf don't heckle you when you lose your ball, something has gone wrong. I hope there will be WAKA WAKA drop targets, too.

*Ball Drains*
Waldorf:What was that?
Statler:It's called the medium play
Waldorf:The Medium Play?
Statler:Yeah it wasn't rare and was certainly not well-done
Both:ha-ha-ha

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
I'd love to see something stupid like a fake ball saver. Statler and Waldorf pretend to give you a ball saver if you lose it just after the timer runs out, but a magnet or something pulls it back in before you have a chance to launch it (or disable the launch button or something). I want a machine that plays tricks on me and teases, has a little personality!

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
*Ball Drains*
Waldorf:What was that?
Statler:It's called the medium play
Waldorf:The Medium Play?
Statler:Yeah it wasn't rare and was certainly not well-done
Both:ha-ha-ha

I can see something like...

"I didn't know this was a magic act!"

"What makes you say that?"

"He just made the ball disappear!"