Version 1.38.x

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
Opted out to get the update.

So from now on, we have to stay out to get the latest beta version?
I didn't see that coming. :)

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012

Stay out to get latest release. I didn't update the public beta to be the same as release. I'll let you all know if I update the public beta in the future.

Michael DiFilippo

Mar 26, 2012
Stay out to get latest release. I didn't update the public beta to be the same as release. I'll let you all know if I update the public beta in the future.

Why update the beta, but not the beta version? This sort of thing would make it seem like it's reasonably finished since it is already public. So why have a beta anymore?

AshleyAshes

Jun 27, 2012
I've been poking around and I found something interesting about CV. It's lighting is different if it's the table first run. I did this testing on my 6 core Intel with HD 7950 box, if the FIRST table I go to in DX11 is CV, it lags and lags worse when the tube is lit up, however it runs much more smoothly if I go to another table and THEN to CV. What I noticed though is that if I go to CV first, the tube is BRIGHTER. Look here:

This is how bright the tube is when the table is launched right after starting the game:
http://i.imgur.com/iV4xUkl.jpg

I then left CV, went to another table, then back to CV and the tube was dimmer and the framerate was MUCH better:
http://i.imgur.com/A8gPdEu.jpg

I suspect this is somehow related to the frame rate issue that some experience on the table. Either way, it's very strange that the brightness of the tube varies on what order the tables are launched.

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
Good find, Ashley.

I also have the HD7950 and I get no slowdowns on CV in portrait mode (1080x1920 / max settings).

AshleyAshes

Jun 27, 2012
Good find, Ashley.

I also have the HD7950 and I get no slowdowns on CV in portrait mode (1080x1920 / max settings).

But can you replicate this brightness thing in CV?

I suppose I should mention I'm running in landscale, I should test portrait.

Yup, same on portrait mode. I'll test it on my HD 6950 HTPC tomorrow once I've had some sleep.

Last edited:

Snorzel

Apr 25, 2014
Are you opted into the beta (you shouldn't be)? Also try restarting steam.

For thoses like me who could not remember where to find the 'opt'. Open Steam, click on the 'Steam' dropdown, click 'settings' you will see the 'beta participation' box, change to regular pinball arcade for update.

Already blazed through the wizard goals.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Replicated the brightness thing with CV. 1080x1920 with a 2160x3840 backbuffer (hence the tiny fonts and other misproportioned/misaligned stuff). GTX760.

First image is loading CV right away - I also noticed some slowdown, but nothing significant. Second image is after loading another table prior to CV. No slowdown at all.

bQZ0ZgGl.jpg
hoTrYBWl.jpg

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012

I had to opt out. Download an update. But it wouldn't run the DX11 version (even though it said it was the dx11 version .10 in the bottom right). I had to opt back out a second time, re-download another update, re-opt in and then it started working right.

Also, this newest version is still randomly throwing up the Xenon nag screen. Not nearly as often as .09 did but still probably 1 out of 5 launches for me.

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
I'm pretty sure I've seen the same thing happen because there were a few times I played CV and thought "Is this the old version? It doesn't seem to look as good" and exited out and restarted and thought I was just seeing things.
This explains it.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Keep in mind. There are 2 places to opt out of betas. One of them, using the Steam tab > Settings, is I think the wrong one. The right way is to right click TPA in the steam app > properties > betas tab.

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
I updated the public beta to 1.38.10. I would prefer if people stop using it going forward.

I may want to run a public beta again in the future for something else, so I would like to keep the option in.

dave950lam

Apr 20, 2012
Keep in mind. There are 2 places to opt out of betas. One of them, using the Steam tab > Settings, is I think the wrong one. The right way is to right click TPA in the steam app > properties > betas tab.

That did it, thanks. But encountered bugs on Black Knight (besides the magna-saves). The eject hols are still missing the firing sounds when the eject a ball, and the extra ball lanes don't light when completing the sets of 3 arrows by the target banks. Also, the bell doesn't ring when getting an extra ball.

The main bug with magna-save is range of effect. Unless you hit the button to magna-save when the ball is directly over it, it won't catch the ball. The magna-save irl easily catches a ball at least an inch away.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Sorry, but "same" means slowdowns or not?

When I replicated it, I got slowdowns when loading CV as the first table I went to. The slowdowns were even apparent during the table flyover in attract mode before I started a game. In game, the most noticeable slowdown was when the Ringmaster was doing his thing after spelling W-O-W.

My setup is:
- i7 2600 @ 3.4GHz
- GTX760 2Gb
- 8Gb RAM
- Win 7 64
- 1080x1920 with 2160x3840 backbuffers

EccentricFlower

May 4, 2015
I updated the public beta to 1.38.10. I would prefer if people stop using it going forward.

I may want to run a public beta again in the future for something else, so I would like to keep the option in.

Maybe an announcement thread somewhere that the public beta cut is outdated and people should opt back out of that and go back to taking updates on the normal stream? There's at least three threads here discussing DX11 public beta/bugs, and if you didn't happen to read the right one, you don't know. (It's also a little counterintuitive that picking the public beta stream on Steam prevents you from getting updates to the normal stream, but that's not your fault.)

AshleyAshes

Jun 27, 2012
Sorry, but "same" means slowdowns or not?

To be clear, same slow downs and same difference in brightness in landscape or portrait, however I do run at 2560x1440 since that's the resolution of the workstation's monitor. I'll test the HD 6950 on the 1080p TV this evening once I'm home from work.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts