What controller do you use for PC?

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
That thing belongs on the set of a horror movie! It looks like some evil torture machine, like if you're not careful you'll summon Pinhead. Way to get creative!

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
That thing belongs on the set of a horror movie! It looks like some evil torture machine, like if you're not careful you'll summon Pinhead. Way to get creative!

Good call!

As for the PS3 and PS4 controller discussion, I use my PS4 controller on PC quite a bit too for racing games and such, and it is plug and play in general, but the thing is the PC version of TPA only supports XInput controllers such as the 360 controller so you have to run DS4Windows to trick windows into thinking that it's a 360 controller then it works perfectly in TPA.

The other issue with the PS4 controller is that the triggers aren't detected as analog/axis by default (so in a racing game for instance, it's either full throttle or nothing), but DS4Windows solves that issue as well.

workshed

Feb 26, 2015
I spent many hours trying to get controller support working properly on my Linux box with Wine. Finally figured it out the day TAF was released because I really wanted to play it. It is on PS4 now so I don't play on PC anymore, but I have it working with bluetooth on PS3 and PS4 controllers, along with a wired XBOX controller. I prefer the old PS3/DS3 controller out of the three because of the analog shoulder buttons (I hate that they removed that in the DS4) and I find the analog stick positioning on the XBOX controller a bit wonky.

Robert Misner

Oct 4, 2014
I've got an old Hotrod SE controller and I've just ordered the usb x-arcade upgrade kit and a couple extra buttons

100-0012_img.jpg

I'm gonna install the extra buttons on the sides for dual button support.
I've also got a xbox360 wired controller on order from china that I'm gonna take apart and mount upside down in the hotrod(i might have to mod the base to make room) and just attach a nut or something with weight to the left analog stick and the weight should work as a plumb bob to incorporate analog nudge support into the controller.just by shaking it abit.if all goes well should be really fun easy mod summer project.

Epsilon

Apr 19, 2012
The only drawback with the solo is it only has 1 pin button on each side so you don't get the extra nudging buttons.

Do you mind telling me how you get the extra buttons to actually function for nudging? I have a Tankstick myself but I found myself just going back to the PS4 controller because I couldn't seem to get the nudging to work on those extra buttons because they're mapped as left and right clicks.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Do you mind telling me how you get the extra buttons to actually function for nudging? I have a Tankstick myself but I found myself just going back to the PS4 controller because I couldn't seem to get the nudging to work on those extra buttons because they're mapped as left and right clicks.

Use a little program called AutoHotkey to make a custom script that will make windows think that they're any key you want:

http://www.autohotkey.com/

I can paste my script if you aren't familiar with the program. It's pretty common among cab users for various things.

Last edited:

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
I'm using a wired 360 controller. Might need a new one soon with this table of the week...

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I use the buttons of the side of a pinball cabinet. :p

Well aren't you special? Thpppthththhhh!

So do you have two stage flipper control? I guess that question goes to the guys that also have the X-Controller.

dave950lam

Apr 20, 2012
Been wanting to get an X-Arcade controller, but mainly for old-school arcade games (pacman). Can anyone who owns one tell me how precise is the joystick when playing pac-man/ms pac-man.

Carny_Priest

Jan 9, 2015
They are 8-way Super Happ clones. So, not exactly like the real thing. You can always swap for a 4-way or install a restrictor plate if you want more genuine action.

AshleyAshes

Jun 27, 2012
Wireless Xbox 360 pads, though I've considdered trying to build a dedicated 'pinball controller' as a precursor to a possible cab.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.