What does DLC mean?

pinman

Nov 14, 2012
OK, I'm an idiot, but my Google-fu has not helped me find an answer to this question.

What does DLC mean? I see it everywhere.

Brandon Debes

Mar 29, 2012
Terrible term, isn't it?

For one thing downloadable is not two words. But beyond that, what isn't downloadable these days? With respect to The Pinball Arcade the whole product is downloadable. But that term is left over from circa 2002 when it referred specifically to add-on content for retail products that was distributed digitally.

"Add-on Content" is a much better term, but it won't be adopted. We're stuck with the misnomer DLC for the foreseeable future.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
Terrible term, isn't it?

For one thing downloadable is not two words. But beyond that, what isn't downloadable these days? With respect to The Pinball Arcade the whole product is downloadable. But that term is left over from circa 2002 when it referred specifically to add-on content for retail products that was distributed digitally.

"Add-on Content" is a much better term, but it won't be adopted. We're stuck with the misnomer DLC for the foreseeable future.

Not to mention the horrible contradictio in terminis "on-disc DLC"

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
I've seen the expansion DLC = Developer's Lust for Cash before in an article about mobile gaming, along with such jewels as Disagreeable Lines of Code, Download Less Crap, Dreadful Lemming Convention and from there to less sensible and less printable ones.

Not to mention the horrible contradictio in terminis "on-disc DLC"
I see someone's busting out their Latin... :D

Gallow

Jun 30, 2012
i miss the days of expansion packs... o baldurs gate 2, icewind dale 1&2 how i cry out for your days of glory. now all we get is dlc packs that add a couple characters and a quest or 2.

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
I always call that WHC. Withheld Content. And it fits with the first two letters coming from one word thing.

Actually, lots of that stuff has existed. Like a Windows install CD - it has the ability to install the Ultimate version from any disc you have - be it Home Starter, Home Premium or Starter. You pay some $$$ to get a code to enable it.

Just another form of "on-disc" DLC, really!

Groni

Jul 19, 2012
For me it´s "Delayed Location Crap" :) On my Android I have the latest DLC but on PSN (EU) it´s still 5. I guess I won´t see TZ till January!

Members online

Members online