What implications does the new Stern-Pinball Arcade app have for PC?

L33

Aug 20, 2014
If FS are making the stern games and TPA games, I wonder if it's the same team working on everything, or additional staff etc. if workload is increased then this could have a knock on affect on things...not just for PC either.

AshleyAshes

Jun 27, 2012
I think it is basically the same app, just keeping things separate for licensing.

It's not a licensing thing, it's a marketing thing. If Stern is going to push out it's pinball tables to virtual space, especially ones that they still sell in the real world, they'll stand to make more money having a dedicated 'Stern Pinball Arcade' app that people can buy rather than saying 'You can get this amazing Stern table, among 60+ other unrelated pinball tables, in something called 'The Pinball Arcade'!'. For older tables, in the past, it made sense for Stern to just license a few to FarSight, but for a partnership, their products will be far more visible in a dedicated app.

invitro

May 4, 2012
It's not a licensing thing, it's a marketing thing. If Stern is going to push out it's pinball tables to virtual space, especially ones that they still sell in the real world, they'll stand to make more money having a dedicated 'Stern Pinball Arcade' app that people can buy rather than saying 'You can get this amazing Stern table, among 60+ other unrelated pinball tables, in something called 'The Pinball Arcade'!'. For older tables, in the past, it made sense for Stern to just license a few to FarSight, but for a partnership, their products will be far more visible in a dedicated app.
Nah. The main reason it's a separate app is that the licensors are more likely to deal with Stern than Farsight, and secondly to have an excuse for dropping weak-device support. Why would someone be more likely to buy DLC for The Stern Pinball Arcade than The Pinball Arcade, if the included tables were the same?

chinzman93

Jul 1, 2013
I would suspect that Metallica may be the first table made where Stern started including digital rights into the contract. So my guess would be that anything Metallica going forward could be on the table. However, we really don't know when they started doing this. Perhaps they have been doing it for years....but I doubt it.

invitro

May 4, 2012
I would suspect that Metallica may be the first table made where Stern started including digital rights into the contract.
It doesn't make much sense to me that any table made before right now would have video game rights. Why would Stern want to pay that extra amount unless they were definite that they would be used? I'm just guessing of course...

pm1109

Dec 18, 2013
We are all guessing and speculating right now!
Just have to wait until the next piece of news sometime latter this year hopefully

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
It doesn't make much sense to me that any table made before right now would have video game rights. Why would Stern want to pay that extra amount unless they were definite that they would be used? I'm just guessing of course...

Especially in the earlier days. Before TPA was even announced, there was no reason to include digital rights when digital recreations weren't really a thing (at least with Stern since they didn't have inclusion with the original PHOF collections). Much like digital music, there are many bands that don't have a presence, or only partial presence, on the various digital music outlets. Those old record contracts did not include digital distribution.

Stern has publicly discussed it for some time and it is what they've desired over the last couple years so I could see it being a contract inclusion for the last year or two and possibly they've been able to make it an addition to games where they've released new versions (Like when AC/DC Luci or the most recent Metallica that's about to come out)

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
If FS are making the stern games and TPA games, I wonder if it's the same team working on everything, or additional staff etc. if workload is increased then this could have a knock on affect on things...not just for PC either.

Not necessarily. As said in the other thread, if Stern provides all the resources and no real table has to be actually disassembled etc. this could be a huge time saver instead.

invitro

May 4, 2012
Sounds like new and recent to me. The pics they're showing are of the Metallica playfield, which is still being built new.
Does this come from this article?
http://venturebeat.com/2015/09/22/s...-drain-your-savings-to-own-a-classic-machine/

I saw that Stern linked to this article with a thumbnail of Metallica from the article. That pic was chosen by the article writer, and probably doesn't mean anything except that the article writer thinks it's a good example of a Stern machine :).

TNT

Feb 27, 2015
Someone asked that question on the Stern Facebook page and the response was something "Farsightish" like we'll see.

Edit: Just looked and it's "Maybe! Maybe not."

Last edited:

Sir_LANs-a-lot

Jun 1, 2012
Personally, I would like to see this consolidated into TPA, but perhaps the front end/table selection could be optionally filtered/sorted by manufacturer?

It's good news for those of us who enjoy pinball though and hopefully, it might persuade other table manufacturers to review their licensing options to FarSight.

DaPinballWizard

Apr 16, 2012
Hope to hear more solid news about this next month at the 31st Annual Pinball EXPO! Maybe it will be on display on Farsight's cab at Stern's booth. Hmmmmmm

Robert Misner

Oct 4, 2014
Having this be a new separate program does have the added benefit of starting fresh.
Implementing new features and better physics (Ball spin, slight random deflection from targets,less on the rail shots etc.) without the pressure of having to go back to 64 other tables and retune everything might lead to some really interesting surprises (yes I expect great things :))

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts