What kind of pinball player are you?

Deltaechoe

Aug 30, 2013
We all know there are specific objectives on a table that you need to complete to earn the most points but just about everyone also has a tendency to shoot for different things more often than others.

For me, I like to do combo shots the most, there's nothing to me quite like juggling the ball through long sequences of ramps and orbits. So how about you guys, do you go for all the drop down targets, do you like spinners, how about the bumpers, or are you completely mission oriented? Let the community know your playstyle and this doesn't just go for real machines but any tables you play period

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
Angry. Confused. Sometimes a little sweaty..

I tend to try to play through all of the modes I can even if its not the best scoring strategy. I guess I go for the most interesting game and hope that translates to a good score as well.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I am a sucker for ramps. Before I know any rules of a table, ramps are the shot I'm trying for first. After that, it's hard to resist a drop target. Once I actually learn a table's rules, I'm all about modes, which often is detrimental to my scores. And God help me if I figure out how to trigger multiball, as that will seriously become my one and only goal.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
If I find a unique playfield, ie. TZ's powerfield, FG's mini-pinball, all my focus goes towards it.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I'm definitely a stop-and-go player. I almost always catch or dead flipper pass the ball before shooting.

I'm also a sucker for drop targets. Spinners are glorious as well.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
It's odd. I've never cared about spinners. Drop targets yes, spinners, not so much. I don't get the same satisfying feedback flipping spinners as I do hitting a drop target or watching a ball roll around ramps and habitrails. Spinners are just like bumpers to me. They're just there.

Wizened

Jun 10, 2012
It's odd. I've never cared about spinners. Drop targets yes, spinners, not so much. I don't get the same satisfying feedback flipping spinners as I do hitting a drop target or watching a ball roll around ramps and habitrails. Spinners are just like bumpers to me. They're just there.

I'm the opposite. Spinners were big on the first pin I ever played as a kid, Swing Along.
And the Stern spinners from late 70's, early 80's were the best. Flight 2000 is a great example! Build it up to 5000 per and rack up big points.
(Huh. Just looked up Swing Along on IPDB. Supposedly the first with spinners. Guess I was in the right place at the right time! ;-) )

Tom

Sep 9, 2012
Spinners are great on games that allow you to build up i nice spinner value, but sadly spinners are just useless point wise on alot of games.

Nightwing

Aug 1, 2012
I play for fun,unless I've learned some of the rules for that table. Then I try to become more deliberate in my gameplay.

Day

Jan 9, 2013
+1 for spinners

so long as i can see the score incrementing in direct correspondence to mr spinner doing what he was born to do. and even more joyful if he's well lubed and rewards more forceful shots with faster, longer rotations, sending the digital display into points accrual overdrive. audible feedback of course a given, for complete satisfaction.

spinners are like hypnotism to me (esp. when they have that flicker-book effect painted on them)

Last edited:

warh0g

Jan 3, 2013
I try to start modes and multiball as much as I can. Also a big fan of ramps and bumpers hehe, there is something satisfying when the bumpers go crazy and flings the ball all over the place :D

jbejarano

Jul 6, 2012
I'm definitely a stop-and-go player. I almost always catch or dead flipper pass the ball before shooting.

I'm also a sucker for drop targets. Spinners are glorious as well.

I know that it's highly detrimental to getting high scores, but I actually prefer not to do stop-and-go play. I'm positive my games would last longer and have much higher scores if I did catch and pass balls more often than I do. And I do actually do that stuff sometimes. Depending on the table, I may even do it rather a lot. But, I love a dynamic flow to the game. I love having a ball slip into an inlane, and then firing that ball right up a ramp, or completing a combo, or sending it dead-on to a target right as part of the flow, preferably right onto the next thing to advance the mode or story or objective. Same with "one-timers" (as they'd call them in hockey) when the ball hits the flippers directly, and I just fire them back into play.

Yes, this increases the randomness of the game. Yes, it decreases my control of the game. Yes, it means that if I want to hit something in particular, my timing has to be impeccable. Yes, it tends to decrease my scores and play time on average. But, having that flow, and yes, even that unpredictability increases my enjoyment of the game somehow. It just feels better, viscerally. Wouldn't recommend that style to anyone for improving their game play, but it makes for some incredibly satisfying shots. And, when the flow is just right, and I do get a nice high score, it's all the more gratifying.

P.S. I think this is why I might be such a Steve Ritchie fan.

Last edited:

jbejarano

Jul 6, 2012
audible feedback of course a given, for complete satisfaction.

A lot of times, my favorite targets on tables are the ones with the greatest sound effects. How satisfying is hitting one of the Firepower 1-6 targets that's still flashing? Mmm. Could do that all day long.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.