What separates the best players here from the rest?

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
I tried it, and it sucks. The nudging is all wrong in that game. When i want to nudge to the left it goes right and i can't change it even when i set everything good at control options.

No, it's TPA that has the nudging all wrong. Timeshock gets it right.

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
I've always been sceptical of non-console players. Like they can get into the settings or code or something.

Simply calibrate the controller stick under Windows, in order to never get a full strength nudge, that prevents warnings (and tilt).

Relaxation wrote a post about it, which showed it's easily doable.

PS: I blame nobody on this thread. ;)

Tarek & co are legit players for me. But some scores are still... weird. (454M on Centaur, really? 13B on Champion Pub, WTF? 40B on HRC, LMAO? 762B on J*B... errr?)

Of course, all these top scores are made on PC...

Last edited:

Dizzer2012

Banned
Oct 1, 2015
I'm more interested in this 'differences in physics between DX11 and DX9'. Could you give us a prime example, something that's easy to perform and notice, on a table we could try [MENTION=5749]Dizzer2012[/MENTION]?

I forgot. It was a while ago i tried DX11. Tried a couple of tables and extremely noticed a difference in difficulty. Everything seems a lot more realistic with DX11. Even the nudging is harder and the ball gets a tilt faster. I put money on it that Tareks nr.1 scores are all in DX9.

Mark Miwurdz

Apr 7, 2012
<i>Simply calibrate the controller stick under Windows, in order to never get a full strength nudge, that prevents warnings (and tilt)</i>

Well, there you go.

switch3flip

Jan 30, 2013
One difference between DX11 and DX9 is that the end tips of the flippers somehow feel slightly "grippier" on DX9. It's like there's more substance/collision mesh on dx9 flipper tips, or more power to them, so it's easier to stay alive on DX9. I think it's easy noticable on a table like Haunted House. Just by rapidly flipper mashing when ball is in lower playfield, it's much easier to keep from draining out there. Like when ball goes behind the left flipper, just by rapidly flipping, the ball will get shoved back up, which almost never happens on DX11. Same thing when ball goes between the flippers. Like I said I think it's general for all tables, but more noticable on tables with smaller gap between flippers, like lower playfield on HH.
On some tables it generally feels like there's just a little more power to the flippers on DX9. But I generally prefer to play DX11 because it feels more realistic and fun, but yeah in Farsight monthly tourney I would probably play Haunted House in DX9 just because the table is so boring anyways it doesn't matter and the different physics make a noticable difference.

However, I think live catching is slightly easier in DX11. And that is usually very helpful so DX11 has it's pros as well. I guess there are several ways to do it, but the way I do it, I hold up the flipper and when the ball would make contact, I quickly flip, without flipper going all the way down. It seems the timing, or the "window" when it's possible is slightly longer in DX11. Or the timing is just different and DX11 timing suits my style. I kind of use a similar technique in real pin playing.

Last edited:

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
I find this thread weirdly funny. strong opinions. Guess what? your all above average compared to the majority of users!

its interesting to hear the thoughts and the different approaches to high level play i didnt think there would be that much variation, in digital form anyway.

*whistles dixie*

Stuzz

Sep 22, 2015
What is right about it when i want to nudge to left and the ball goes ..uhm.. not to the left? That's as wrong as wrong can be.

I haven't played Pro recently but from this description, if I nudge to the left I wouldn't expect the ball to go to the left... I'm nudging the table after all, and not the ball. Right?

Tarek Oberdieck

Jan 18, 2015
What is right about it when i want to nudge to left and the ball goes ..uhm.. not to the left? That's as wrong as wrong can be.

Don't know whats the problem here? You can assign any controller button for the left and right nudging. Doesn't matter for me, I play timeshock with the keyboard...

Dizzer2012

Banned
Oct 1, 2015
I said this before, that doesn't change anything. I set it right at the control options because i know how that works, i played games before lol, but it just won't work. Ofcourse i change the left right settings but it stays the same no matter how i change the setting. With controller or keyboard. And it's annoying as ****. The main reason i don't play this crappy piece of pinball game.

relaxation

Oct 8, 2015
One difference between DX11 and DX9 is that the end tips of the flippers somehow feel slightly "grippier" on DX9. ... more noticable on tables with smaller gap between flippers, like lower playfield on HH. ...
However, I think live catching is slightly easier in DX11. ... the way I do it, I hold up the flipper and when the ball would make contact, I quickly flip, without flipper going all the way down. It seems the timing, or the "window" when it's possible is slightly longer in DX11. Or the timing is just different and DX11 timing suits my style. I kind of use a similar technique in real pin playing.

In DX9 before DX11 released I could drop the flipper the moment after a bounce and re-engage it and it would look like a live catch, it was harder to perform and it's gotten a bit easier since DX11 and its flipper tech. A lot of us now choose to do this, why? because either you perform the live catch and or fake live catch versus just engaging the flipper as it approaches which would only do the live catch or bounce.

I've had the ball clip through the flippers (from behind the flipper back into play) in the lower playfield on HH, so if you do mash when you're down there that might be a reason why it may or maynot have seemed like its more successful (my experience was in DX11). Then there's other silly behavoir happening under the flippers that's been added recently so you can't hold a ball behind upper flippers?

Simply calibrate the controller stick under Windows, in order to never get a full strength nudge, that prevents warnings (and tilt).

Relaxation wrote a post about it, which showed it's easily doable.

Well, to avoid tilt warnings on Zens PBFX2 to never full nudge is advantagous and I think their game gets opened up to a lot more possibilities if they did rework their nudge system, I don't play their game like that, or at all, since it would be unfair. I hate their bouncy outlane rubbers with the ramp returns and slings that feed them. *Glares at the walking dead*.

I don't think anyone has misused my guide on gamepad emulation for 'keyboard/button-only' players, I play with a controller with the D-Pad on full digital. I must however comment that the way you suggest using windows calibration is not accurate, at least not in a way I am familiar, if I don't go all the way to the edges during calibration that only brings the max closer.. if anything that might help shrink the deadzone in PBFX2.

Micro-nudging helps me in this manner: I play a new table and try shots.. first couple games might last 3-5 minutes, next game lasts 15-30 minutes why? because I knew how the table was going to react to shots and made the ball either go slower or faster to avoid the bad outcomes I knew about. As others have said it's just.. pattern recognition.. railroads.. removing unsafe shots.. whatever you want to call it. I just move the stick slower.. I often don't need to bang an object into the ball to change the outcome. I'd like parity between form-factors (pincab/controller/mobile device/keyboard) but this is a multi-plat and for whatever reason we share the same leaderboard.

... I put money on it that Tareks nr.1 scores are all in DX9.

We know Tareks scores were on DX9, his system specs couldn't run it.. and the scores might be older than the DX11 setting. It may be different now.

Tarek Oberdieck

Jan 18, 2015
We know Tareks scores were on DX9, his system specs couldn't run it.. and the scores might be older than the DX11 setting. It may be different now.

No, it's the same. Meanwhile I can start DX11 but most tables are unplayable due my hardware limitations. No problem for me. From what I've seen I must say the DX9 design is much nicer than DX11. The lights are too dominant in DX11. Just my opinion...

Last edited:

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
The real reason people can play "infinite" is it's not real pinball. Ball spin. Table wear. Humidity. Inconsistent flipper strength. A sudden, unexplainable bounce that defies all logic, reason, and the laws of physics.

Like I said. It's patience, as much as anything. The stamina and concentration required is very impressive, though.

switch3flip

Jan 30, 2013
I've had the ball clip through the flippers (from behind the flipper back into play) in the lower playfield on HH, so if you do mash when you're down there that might be a reason why it may or maynot have seemed like its more successful (my experience was in DX11)

No, it's not clipping.
But you're right, the ball clips through flippers way more on DX11. Sometimes it's really frustrating. Like on jack*bot, hold a ball on right flipper and another ball gets kicked out from visor, try to kinda catch the second one on the same flipper will almost always make it clip through. Never happens on dx9.

DanBradford

Apr 5, 2013
Can soneone who plays with a touchscreen (ie iPad or phone) and not with keyboard buttons and who is competent at nudging please do me a real favour by making a video? It'd have to be from above, so I could see his hands and the screen, and I could see what exactly he was doing when he nudged. I just can't do it.

Please? It'd be really valuable to so many noobs and incompetoids like me - plus I reckon that if I can learn to do it on TPA, it may help my real world pinball nudging skills.

Oh go on.

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
I don't think anyone has misused my guide on gamepad emulation for 'keyboard/button-only' players, I play with a controller with the D-Pad on full digital. I must however comment that the way you suggest using windows calibration is not accurate, at least not in a way I am familiar, if I don't go all the way to the edges during calibration that only brings the max closer.. if anything that might help shrink the deadzone in PBFX2.

I own a cheap no-brand controller for PS3/PC. The left analog stick has a factory calibration defect.

I try to explain, for a 3D game, with a moving character:

images

Stick "idle": the character doesn't move

Stick pushed in the four main directions (1, 3, 5, 7) : the character move accordingly.

If the stick is slightly pushed, the character walks, if the stick is pushed completely, the character runs.

BUT if I push the stick completely in the E, SSE, or S direction (3, 4, 5), the character doesn't run, he simply walks.

When I open the Windows stick calibration tool, the cross is in the upper left corner of the calibration grid, which explains why the 3, 4, 5 directions don't input a full stick push.

Like this:

xoooooo
ooooooo
ooooooo
ooooooo
ooooooo

Re-calibrate the stick fixes the problem:

ooooooo
ooooooo
oooxooo
ooooooo
ooooooo

On PS3, I can't fix the problem, as there's no calibration tool. When playing for example Last of US or Uncharted or Shadow of the Colossus, when I completely push the stick in the 3, 4, or 5 directions, the character simply walks, whereas it should run (makes all these games unplayable with this broken controller).

I tried on TPA, and noticeably, a full nudge is less strong in these directions (3, 4, 5) than with a fine calibrated controller, although it even triggers warning and tilt, but after more nudges.

Example (values are not correct, because I don't remember well, but the difference is noticeable):

- Push the stick several times in the "8" direction (NNO): warning and tilt after 3 or 4 times.

- Push the stick several times in the "4" direction (SSE): warning and tilt after 5 or 6 times.

All of that to say (in a poor english, sorry ^^), that if on PC, you can fix a problem like that, theoretically it might be possible to do the opposite (with regedit, as the calibration data are stored in the registry), in order to never get a full strength nudge, even if you push completely the stick.

Last edited:

steven120566

Mar 7, 2015
real men play davids midnight pinball for the atari 2600

just sayin

LOL!

As much as I like this in-depth conversation... I prefer to keep on playing, trying to improve in miniscule increments, and admiring the skills of those with whom I cannot compete!

For the love of the game, I spose :)

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts