What we have become

karl

May 10, 2012
First let me start off with this:

I have not been as active as I used to be on this forum lately and I found myself wondering why?

I love this forum, it got me back into the joy of digital pinball after being away from it for a few years and I will always be thankful to the admin and moderators here for the splendid job they have done.

When I first joined this forum it was a breath of fresh air after reading the Facebook page of TPA for a few weeks (and getting spasms out of it in the end)

Lots of intelligent and funny people exchanging thoughts about this great new product and all of its potential to be even a better simulation than it already was.

Here we are a year(and some) later, most of us still here and many more have joined the fold and I find that all the negativity is overpowering this forum. Negativity and constructive criticism is not the same thing btw; One is meant to
help a product rise to better standards and the other is destructive and leads nowhere, in my opinion.

We all need to blow off some steam now and again, but ask yourself this: Check your last 10 posts to this forum and see how many is positive, neutral or negative.
If the scales tip in the negative direction to many times, what did you really get out of it? Blowing off steam is something you do once, then get over it.

Most people follow a fan forum to talk (or write) with like minded persons, not to hear time and time again how much better all the other simulations out there is or how much you have lost faith, how much money it costs (really???)
etc, etc.

I might be alone in thinking this and I do admit I sound a little bit like the old fart I actually am but I wanted to get this out there and see if there is anybody else that feels this forum needs a little burst of positivity?

Now I will go back to my sorry excuse for red wineish substances and stop whining (for now at least) ;-)

Last edited:

Bonzo

May 16, 2012
Funny, I've been thinking about posting something very similar for a couple of days now. Guess you beat me to it, karl. Couldn't agree more.

DeeEff

Feb 28, 2013
I might be alone in thinking this and I do admit I sound a little bit like the old fart I actually am but I wanted to get this out there and see if there is anybody else that feels this forum needs a little burst of positivity?
You're not alone, Karl.

I'm nowhere near as much of an old fart as you (forum-wise, that is ;^) but I actually had two fellow members on my Ignore List for a while until one of 'em got banned.

Here's to tips and tricks and real-life pinball experiences and funny random thoughts and discussions about how to make TPA better (vs. unproductive whining, which you're not doing, IMHO)!

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
100 % with you here. I've wanted to start a post like this for a while. But I don't have a home connection anymore and typing on a tablet makes it difficult to put up long ranty posts.

I'm a bit sour on the atmosphere here of late myself, while I understand criticism, it should be delivered in a positive, constructive way. Anyway, a lot of us here have been here since the beginning, and while it would be nice to have our small cliquish community back, it is nice to have a large vibrant pinball community. Especially one based on what is essentially a single product.

I want to add that I really think that the majority of our new members are a bunch of great folk to have around and those who are truly disruptive are generally a small but loud minority. I don't want to name names or start a war so I won't.

This is a place to be if you are a fan of the Pinball Arcade. Of course we all want a better product but when push comes to shove. We need to accept the product as it is instead of requiring it to be what we wish of it.

MadScience2006

Oct 5, 2012
karl, can I join your old fart's club? If not, will you join mine? ;)

I don't really know how it "was" since I'm a newcomer, but I'll admit that I do tend to go on about issue/bugs/inconsistencies/whatever. Seems like all I post here is about those things, but stuff like this is my nature. I'm a born tinkerer and finding bugs and getting them vanquished is also part of my real-life job (I am NOT an exterminator though).

That being said, thanks for your enlightening post. I hope it will make more of us think twice before going on a rant or rambling on about the same old sh$t. Rock on, dudes! :cool:

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
You're definitely not alone Karl and we actually have something we've been throwing around as of late to possibly implement if need be. Our hope is that we can maintain the forum as is and hopefully not have to turn to laying out specific guidelines for our members to follow. That is the last thing we want for this forum, so everyone please keep this in mind and think before you decide to go off on a rant and this includes derailing threads with discussions that have nothing to do with a specific thread's topic.

karl

May 10, 2012
Thanks for all the positive feedback.

Great to hear I am not alone.

And, Superballs: I absolutely agree that we do not need to start naming names. It is not my intention to single anyone out. It is more like a general observation.

Last edited:

MadScience2006

Oct 5, 2012
Wow, I just checked and I've actually been here nearly a year (11 months). I thought it was much less than that. I guess it's as the saying goes, "Don't get old..." :(

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Thank you. That was the reason I hadn't posted anything until now.

...and this is a perfect example of why we would like to maintain a clean forum with a user friendly environment. We want all of our members to feel comfortable participating in our community which includes many staff members at FarSight Studios.

Gord was grateful enough to provide the community with a more direct interaction with the developers at FarSight Studios, who have continued to openly participate on this forum even though they are not obligated to do so, and we will not allow anyone to ruin this privilege that has been bestowed upon us.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.