Where are you from? (broken off from another thread)

an ox

May 28, 2012
AtqjO6nCMAAZ8uH.jpg

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
The UP used to be part of Wisconsin. Michigan and Ohio were both claiming some of the same land in SE Michigan and NW Ohio. Ohio was given the land and Michigan was given the UP as consolation. The dispute is sometimes referred to as The Great Ohio-Michigan War even though it was not really a war.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
The UP used to be part of Wisconsin. Michigan and Ohio were both claiming some of the same land in SE Michigan and NW Ohio. Ohio was given the land and Michigan was given the UP as consolation. The dispute is sometimes referred to as The Great Ohio-Michigan War even though it was not really a war.

Mostly true...except it was never really part of Wisconsin, which didn't become a state until 1848, while Michigan became a state in 1837, after the Toledo War ended (or as you called it, The Great Ohio-Michigan War). Before that, the Michigan Territory actually included all of Wisconsin, and part of Minnesota as well. However, had the Toledo War gone differently, at least part of the U.P. could have ended up in Wisconsin....but thank heavens it didn't...Wisconsin just doesn't deserve the U.P. :)

Another fun fact: The Upper Peninsula contains 29% of the land area of Michigan but just 3% of its total population.

I've heard it said that there are actually more deer than people in the U.P.

Although it was sort of a booming place at one time:

"....when rich mineral deposits (primarily copper and iron) were discovered in the 1840s. The Upper Peninsula's mines produced more mineral wealth than the California Gold Rush, especially after shipping was improved by the opening of the Soo Locks in 1855 and docks in Marquette in 1859. The Upper Peninsula supplied 90% of America's copper by the 1860s. It was the largest supplier of iron ore by the 1890s, and production continued to a peak in the 1920s, but sharply declined shortly afterward."

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Southern Cal for me. Skill_Shot seems to be the closest player I've run across, and he's halfway up the state from me!

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Wine country Northern California the PCH up here is EPIC hours of hairpins with a cliff to your death on one side watch out for dear!:)

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Does that mean you get to drive the PCH ?? One of my (many) ambitions to do - not that I'm planning to leave the States, just sayin'...

PCH in SoCal is not nearly what PCH in NoCal is, that's for sure. Unless you like traffic. Did that drive once though, up to San Francisco and it's amazing.

laughing_lunatic

Jun 6, 2012
Wine country Northern California the PCH up here is EPIC hours of hairpins with a cliff to your death on one side watch out for dear!:)

PCH in SoCal is not nearly what PCH in NoCal is, that's for sure. Unless you like traffic. Did that drive once though, up to San Francisco and it's amazing.

I'd LOVE to do that drive, I really would... a buddy of mine and I drove from Phoenix to San Diego with the idea of at least doing a part of the PCH at some point, but we landed at Mission Beach, and just kinda stayed there for 3 days !

I'd want to do the PCH in the right car though... something like a '69 Olds 4-4-2 convertible...

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
I have a tuned '00 toyota celica GTS. Theres a road to get there that goes through eucalyptus trees its like the speeder bike scene:)

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I'm from Windsor, Ontario, Canada. We are one mile South of Detroit Michigan, just across the river. We share a fireworks display and we allow 19 year old 'mericans to get drunk.

The Wolfman

Jul 2, 2012
I'm currently having to deal with an upstairs neighbor who keeps pissing off his balcony every night....right in front of my office window
When someone in my condo would try something like that, he will probably get arrested and kicked out of his apartment by the landlord. I get the feeling that it doesn't work that way in your town.

I've heard it said that there are actually more deer than people in the U.P.
I wish I could escape to a place like this sometimes....

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
When someone in my condo would try something like that, he will probably get arrested and kicked out of his apartment by the landlord. I get the feeling that it doesn't work that way in your town.

It might, but I guess I'm just too nice to call the cops....but after hearing him do it 3-4 different nights, I finally yelled out the window a couple nights ago and he hasn't done it since (it seemed to be his nightly ritual and there's even a big patch of dead grass outside my window where the piss has been landing), but if he does it again then I will definitely complain to the landlord.

But yeah, this certainly makes me miss my quiet homestead in the U.P....

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
I am originally from southern california Lived there for 13 years in COSTA MESA used to ride my bike to the beach every day.
IMG_3817.jpg

Then i moved up to Forestville and its ecxactly how it sounds...mountains coverd in redwoods.
IMG_2802.jpg

IMG_2387-1.jpg

Last edited:

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Then moved to SONOMA and lived there for about another 15 years small town been in movies like rob schnider THE ANIMAL the town hall is the police station in the movie.
IMG_3622.jpg

IMG_3631.jpg

NOPE! No pinball up here!

Just recently moved west 20 miles to santa rosa the more urban style living of the wine country.
I thought Id post a few pics for you guys.
Heres the coast, just like THE GOONIES.
IMG_2430-1.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.