Where is the Data East logo on Phantom of the Opera?

BlindSpider11

Jun 26, 2012
You know the little manufacturer insignia next to the logo for the particular table. Does Farsight not have the rights to use the Data East logo? I noticed it was also missing from the base of the playfield where rules and cost per play are located.

I am on a Kindle Fire, so maybe it is an isolated issue on my platform?

Thanks.

The Night Flier

Jun 10, 2014
Data East is now owned by Stern and i suppose Stern made it a release requirement for Farsight to disassociate Phantom(and i figure any possible future Data East table) from Data East.Silly business imo and a bit of a shame.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
Data East is now owned by Stern and i suppose Stern made it a release requirement for Farsight to disassociate Phantom(and i figure any possible future Data East table) from Data East.Silly business imo and a bit of a shame.

Data East still exists - it is and always has been a Japanese video game company. Their pinball division was a late 80s to 90s thing, much like SEGA and Capcom. But Stern does own the rights to the pinball machines DE made. I'd imagine either Stern wanted to remove out-of-date branding, or Farsight either couldn't afford or negotiate with DE to use their logo, or simply didn't think it necessary.

The Night Flier

Jun 10, 2014
Data East still exists - it is and always has been a Japanese video game company. Their pinball division was a late 80s to 90s thing, much like SEGA and Capcom. But Stern does own the rights to the pinball machines DE made. I'd imagine either Stern wanted to remove out-of-date branding, or Farsight either couldn't afford or negotiate with DE to use their logo, or simply didn't think it necessary.

Yes Stern owns the rights to the Data East tables, that's what i meant.I wouldn't quite call it out-of-date branding.Data East is responsible for the tables, they made them.Removing their logo from the tables seems silly to me especially if their logo still remains on the dmd.

Disney owns Lucasarts now.I would find it equally silly if they tried to retroactively delete Lucasarts connection to for example Zak McKracken.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
Yes Stern owns the rights to the Data East tables, that's what i meant.I wouldn't quite call it out-of-date branding.Data East is responsible for the tables, they made them.Removing their logo from the tables seems silly to me especially if their logo still remains on the dmd.

Disney owns Lucasarts now.I would find it equally silly if they tried to retroactively delete Lucasarts connection to for example Zak McKracken.

It depends on the company. Stern might want everyone to know that this table is Stern property. So they get rid of the DE.

Does the company logo on the selection page say Stern, by the way? (PS3 user here)

BlindSpider11

Jun 26, 2012
It depends on the company. Stern might want everyone to know that this table is Stern property. So they get rid of the DE.

Does the company logo on the selection page say Stern, by the way? (PS3 user here)

Nope, nothing. It's just blank.

Sounds weird but I was looking forward to seeing the Data East logo alongside the Williams, Bally, Stern, and Gottleib ones.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Sounds like a Stern choice not an FS choice or art error. And if that's the case, I wouldn't expect it to change.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I'm pretty sure there's a Stern logo somewhere associated with POTO on the PC version. Can't remember where exactly, I'll have to check this evening (I believe that installing Steam on my work PC to play pinball may be just a little frowned upon - besides it's an i3 using integrated graphics, I'm not sure the performance would be up to much)

[Edit] No sign of the Stern logo on the Android version.

Last edited:

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
I'm pretty sure there's a Stern logo somewhere associated with POTO on the PC version. Can't remember where exactly, I'll have to check this evening (I believe that installing Steam on my work PC to play pinball may be just a little frowned upon - besides it's an i3 using integrated graphics, I'm not sure the performance would be up to much)

[Edit] No sign of the Stern logo on the Android version.

The Stern logo is definitely there for the iOS and steam versions.

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
If Stern is the only reason why we don't have DE logo, then all I can say is ***** Stern. Whoever is in pinball knows that you bought SEGA and that SEGA previously bought DE. Those that are not don't giva a crap anyway but we are missing a part of pinball history. But the story behind it is probably more complicated.

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
If Stern is the only reason why we don't have DE logo, then all I can say is ***** Stern. Whoever is in pinball knows that you bought SEGA and that SEGA previously bought DE. Those that are not don't giva a crap anyway but we are missing a part of pinball history. But the story behind it is probably more complicated.

Eh. I have been desensitized from these things ever since season 1 where the Monster Bash toys look like crap, the Ringmaster looks like a cross between the prototype and final versions, missing songs in creature, and most importantly crappy light shows in Black Knight. For me, missing the Data East logo is small potatoes compared to those problems. Mmmm... Potatoes.

Edit: and don't get me started on Farsight trying to preserve history. The majority of innovations in pinball were done in the em era. At least half of the tables should be ems to accurately preserve the history of pinball. The lack of ems shows me that TPA isnt really about actually preserving history. It is about nostalgia for their primary fan base, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Just saying.

Last edited:

JPelter

Jun 11, 2012
Eh. I have been desensitized from these things ever since season 1 where the Monster Bash toys look like crap, the Ringmaster looks like a cross between the prototype and final versions, missing songs in creature, and most importantly crappy light shows in Black Knight. For me, missing the Data East logo is small potatoes compared to those problems. Mmmm... Potatoes.

Edit: and don't get me started on Farsight trying to preserve history. The majority of innovations in pinball were done in the em era. At least half of the tables should be ems to accurately preserve the history of pinball. The lack of ems shows me that TPA isnt really about actually preserving history. It is about nostalgia for their primary fan base, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Just saying.

I love EM tables and would be completely happy if they only released EMs forever, but Farsight is a company and they actually need money to stay running. EM tables don't sell as well as modern ones so they don't really have a choice if they want to keep making the product in general.

e: I mean what percent of the player base would you expect to buy say Humpty Dumpty, which is probably the biggest watershed mark in the history of pinball. I'm guessing it would be far less than half of the userbase. I do think they should and probably will eventually make Fireball though, which is also historically significant.

Last edited:

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Maybe because they can't change all the display messages? Has anyone tried going into the Operator menu to change them?

For that matter does anyone here have a copy of the agreement that FS signed with Stern regarding what they can and can't do with the tables they digitize? Because until someone says otherwise, I'm going to assume that there is some kind of wording in that agreement that spells out exactly what they can (or shall or must) and cannot (or shall not or must not) do with non-Stern branded tables that Stern now own the rights of, and that what they had to do with POTO honors that agreement.

JPelter

Jun 11, 2012
Maybe because they can't change all the display messages? Has anyone tried going into the Operator menu to change them?

For that matter does anyone here have a copy of the agreement that FS signed with Stern regarding what they can and can't do with the tables they digitize? Because until someone says otherwise, I'm going to assume that there is some kind of wording in that agreement that spells out exactly what they can (or shall or must) and cannot (or shall not or must not) do with non-Stern branded tables that Stern now own the rights of, and that what they had to do with POTO honors that agreement.

Considering removing the DE references is extra work Farsight had no reason to undertake, we can pretty much absolutely deduce that Stern either contractually required it or at least asked nicely, and Farsight can't really afford to piss off Stern, so the end outcome is the same. I don't really get why this is a big deal, but if you have to blame someone it's Stern.

shogun00

Dec 25, 2012
Stern Pinball owns the rights to the Data East tables. However, they do not own the rights to the Data East logo. A Japanese company called G-Mode owns it and they aren't cheap to deal with.

As for the ROM, only the name is present (not the logo) so that's why it was left alone.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts