Where is the Data East logo on Phantom of the Opera?

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
I think the reason why the ROM isn't edited is because it's going to be a tedious bit of work going through to edit it. Stern probably doesn't have the source code to the ROM to which they can rebuild it and get rid of the logo.

Yes, they COULD edit the ROM, but it's going to be a lot of work than just editing artwork (which given they have to digitize and photoshop anyways...). I'm sure FS simply bounced it back to Stern for them to provide the appropriate modified ROM rather than editing it themselves.

You have to remember that Stern had final approval of the table. So if they wanted Data East logos gone, they'd reject it.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
Translation: Stern couldn't figure out how to fix it, so they left it in. :)

The DMD games have the logo on the DMD, so they WILL have to fix it then...

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
Translation: Stern couldn't figure out how to fix it, so they left it in. :)

The DMD games have the logo on the DMD, so they WILL have to fix it then...
Assuming we get their DMD games - I don't think there's a single one that didn't use a license.
Since FS is emulating the games' original source codes, removing a logo would require a ton of work, and break FS's philosophy on perfect reproductions. The only ROM they've altered is MM, getting rid of the **** in "who the **** are you?" when fighting Lord Howard Hurtz. Even though it was censored in every official ROM release, it was still present in the code, and hacked versions exist so it will play uncensored.

Last edited:

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
The only ROM they've altered is MM, getting rid of the **** in "who the **** are you?" when fighting Lord Howard Hurtz. Even though it was censored in every official ROM release, it was still present in the code, and hacked versions exist so it will play uncensored.

Didn't they edit out the two missing songs in Creature From the Black Lagoon? Or is that an option in the Operator's menu?

lio

Jul 24, 2013
Farsight does not have to edit roms to change/leave out sounds or music (from what I understand anyways) - They do not emulate the sound part, they use recordings taken from the real games and so just can leave out or change any sounds and just play the an empty file or a different one when the game rom calls for it.
However I'm still a bit curious whenever they mention that they even had to fix certain bugs in the original software so the game would not cause trouble in certain conditions... I wonder how they do that.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I think where some of the confusion comes from is the logo vs name thing.

FS are allowed to use the Data East name. It's in the intro card for POTO (as "Data East (tm)").

What they're not allowed to use is the Data East logo:
logo_data_east.gif
(or just the logo bit without the words)

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
The fact that we're only likely to see alphanumeric Data East machines makes me wonder if it will cause as much backlash as every time a Gottlieb is released. I mean, most people requested POTO, but aside from that the list consists of the likes of Secret Service (a poor man's High Speed) and Time Machine (a poor man's Back to the Future).

Just a little prediction :) We may get some DMDs. Like Tales For The Crypt, which used to be requested incessantly, but has slowed down now.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.