Which pack would you get?

jkonami

Apr 4, 2012
I can't afford all the tables at once yet, so I was gonna plunk down for one pack. I want ST:TNG and TZ eventually, but since you only get one table, and because $30 bucks for Season 1 is reasonable, I will probably wait. I had originally bought all the tables on 360 (up to Monster Mash) and even though there are some good games there, I wanted one of the new tables.

White Water is calling to me, the only thing that has stopped me is Space Shuttle. I've looked at all the packs, and only a few combos have two games I think I will like. The core table pack, MM+BoP, and FH+CV are the best packs I think but like I said, I was gonna get something in the meanwhile that wasn't on 360 to hold me over.

What pack would you recommend or just for discussions sake say is the best one (even outside of my parameters)?

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
It's hard to recommend a table pack where both tables are classics as FS tend to attach a big table with a lesser known one (a B-side, if you will). It makes business sense, and you can discover tables you never expected to like. All my favourite tables were attached to not so good tables, though ones that I have come to like. I would just go with your gut on White Water, it's one of the best tables on there, both in terms of the table itself and it's reproduction.

That said, tonight I played NGG and EatPM, which were packaged together. Both great tables.

jkonami

Apr 4, 2012
It's hard to recommend a table pack where both tables are classics as FS tend to attach a big table with a lesser known one (a B-side, if you will). It makes business sense, and you can discover tables you never expected to like. All my favourite tables were attached to not so good tables, though ones that I have come to like. I would just go with your gut on White Water, it's one of the best tables on there, both in terms of the table itself and it's reproduction.

That said, tonight I played NGG and EatPM, which were packaged together. Both great tables.

I really like NGG too, but I played the hell out of it on PHOF. Of the two Elvira tables, Party Monsters appeals more to me (love the music), but I do wanna play both of them eventually. Seems like a lot of the table packs include a game from PHOF (or Gottlieb) both of which I bought and played to death. I wish I liked Space Shuttle more... the tables with the droning noise drive me a little nuts, SS, Black Hole, Centaur I guess to an extent, Firepower... I do have some appreciation for Firepower though being a Steve Ritchie fan and playing the table for a while on PHOF. Still considering White Water either way.

Deltaechoe

Aug 30, 2013
Some of my favorite tables are 1812, attack from mars, all from the core pack, and the pin*bot games. Any of those are fine places to start, but note that 1812 and pinbot games can be brutal

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Space Shuttle is awesome. Definitely get that pack you won't be let down.

I'd say everything from Season 1 is worth getting. There isn't a bad pack in that season. Season 2 is hit and miss. The must have stuff in season 2 is White Water, Dr. Dude, Cactus Canyon, T2, Centaur, and Champion Pub packs. Flight 2000 and Haunted House are really good 80's tables but if you don't like those than stay far away, as the games they're packed with are awful. 1812/Victory is the worst pack of the season. All IMO of course.

Last edited:

LanceBoyle

Jul 5, 2013
For me, if it's gotta be ONE pack, I'd go for Pin*Bot/Centaur. Definitely one of my fav packs of season 2. Loved the hell outta PB from the Williams collection, and Centaur is quite the classic.

jkonami

Apr 4, 2012
Some of my favorite tables are 1812, attack from mars, all from the core pack, and the pin*bot games. Any of those are fine places to start, but note that 1812 and pinbot games can be brutal

For me, if it's gotta be ONE pack, I'd go for Pin*Bot/Centaur. Definitely one of my fav packs of season 2. Loved the hell outta PB from the Williams collection, and Centaur is quite the classic.

Is it just me or is Pinbot actually a little easier on TPA than in PHOF? I could keep the ball in play a lot longer than I remember being able to. Centaur has a really cool table, and I think it's kinda similar to Gorgar and Firepower, both of which I enjoyed, but I don't think I'm the mood for it just yet. 1812 I'm interested in, Attack from Mars I know is insanely popular, and I love aliens, but it just hasn't grabbed me. Maybe after I play it for a while I'll get it.

Space Shuttle is awesome. Definitely get that pack you won't be let down.

I'd say everything from Season 1 is worth getting. There isn't a bad pack in that season. Season 2 is hit and miss. The must have stuff in season 2 is White Water, Dr. Dude, Cactus Canyon, T2, Centaur, and Champion Pub packs. Flight 2000 and Haunted House are really good 80's tables but if you don't like those than stay far away, as the games they're packed with are awful. 1812/Victory is the worst pack of the season. All IMO of course.

Spaceshuttle is better than Whitewater if you ask me...

I have played Space Shuttle plenty on PHOF, it's not a bad table but it's not exciting to me either. I did crack and buy White Water, which I'm happy with, so I'll probably at least try to do the goals on Space Shuttle eventually. I added enough credit for one more pack and then I'm just gonna wait to buy the seasons later on.

I am most considering:

ST:TNG
TZ
Dr. Dude/Firepower

I know there's a bunch of hate for Dr. Dude here on the forums but I kinda like it! Firepower is alright game too. I think I'm leaning more towards TZ or STTNG, as I really like the whole DMD/Voice/Deep Rulesets where you have to learn the shots most, not that I don't have an appreciation for older tables, I just don't play them as often as the DMDs.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
ST:TNG is tuned better than TZ in terms of realism, if that appeals to you. I think ST:TNG is right near the top of Farsight's best work.

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
If your experience of Space Shuttle is from PHOF, know that the TPA version of it is a vast improvement. It's considerably harder and faster and the ROM is emulated.

jkonami

Apr 4, 2012
ST:TNG is tuned better than TZ in terms of realism, if that appeals to you. I think ST:TNG is right near the top of Farsight's best work.

It does! I am already a Star Trek fan and a Steve Ritchie fan, it was alright at the top of my list. All that was holding me back was only getting 1 table for the $5 but I think it will have a lot of depth to keep me busy.

If your experience of Space Shuttle is from PHOF, know that the TPA version of it is a vast improvement. It's considerably harder and faster and the ROM is emulated.

That's good to know, I own it now so I'll give it another fair shake. It's mostly the sound that drives me nuts on that table though.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
It does! I am already a Star Trek fan and a Steve Ritchie fan, it was alright at the top of my list. All that was holding me back was only getting 1 table for the $5 but I think it will have a lot of depth to keep me busy.

Plenty of depth and worth ever penny of the $5. Enjoy!

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
...Firepower is actually one of my favorite tables, but that seems to be a minority opinion. I'm not a big fan of Dr. Dude.

Centaur/Pin*Bot is a superb pack all around, two interesting and challenging Eighties classics back to back. At the time people seemed bothered that neither was a DMD table.

ST:TNG may be the best adaptation Farsight has ever done, of one of the greatest pins of the Nineties revival. If I had to pick just one of the single-table premium packs, it would probably be that... though, come to think of it, I probably play the somewhat-easier-than-reality Twilight Zone more.

neilpinbot

Apr 4, 2012
I understand money being an issue I was in a similar situation, STTNG was high on my wanted list, I have decided to buy season 1. buying all the packs with tables I like just out of season 1 individually seemed to make less financial sense, if you go through to buy items from within TPA you can add the exact amount of the pack or season you want. I now have over 20 tables for around £24 great value,
I am in your situation over the tables in season 2, has there is only 3 or 4 tables (including pinbot of course) that I want.

jkonami

Apr 4, 2012
...Firepower is actually one of my favorite tables, but that seems to be a minority opinion. I'm not a big fan of Dr. Dude.

Centaur/Pin*Bot is a superb pack all around, two interesting and challenging Eighties classics back to back. At the time people seemed bothered that neither was a DMD table.

ST:TNG may be the best adaptation Farsight has ever done, of one of the greatest pins of the Nineties revival. If I had to pick just one of the single-table premium packs, it would probably be that... though, come to think of it, I probably play the somewhat-easier-than-reality Twilight Zone more.

I like pinbot alot even without the DMD, I think the music and voice are great on that table. I think I would actually go for TZ more over STTNG if I hadn't played it so much in Future Pinball. Love them both though, who doesn't?

jkonami

Apr 4, 2012
I understand money being an issue I was in a similar situation, STTNG was high on my wanted list, I have decided to buy season 1. buying all the packs with tables I like just out of season 1 individually seemed to make less financial sense, if you go through to buy items from within TPA you can add the exact amount of the pack or season you want. I now have over 20 tables for around £24 great value,
I am in your situation over the tables in season 2, has there is only 3 or 4 tables (including pinbot of course) that I want.

You're right, of course, Season 1 is worth it to buy all at once and save a few dollars, and I will do that in a couple weeks. We got all the holidays coming up, and in my family it's birthday season also, so I was just gonna grab a couple tables until I can afford to grab all of it for $90, I'm ok with rebuying 2 packs to keep me entertained for a few weeks. We just waited so long for TPA to come out on PC I can't help but get a few.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.