Request Who wants Bram Stokers Dracula to be this years Halloween table?

Do you want BSD to be this years Halloween table?

• YES. 'Do you believe in destiny......'

Votes: 75 88.2%
  • NO. 'You are but mortal, after all!....'

Votes: 10 11.8%

• Total voters

DokkenRokken

Banned
Apr 7, 2014
I'm not a big fan either. I think for a classic Bally, Fathom is far superior and I'd like to see it in TPA.

As for the non-DMD table bashing, I don't like Facebook, so have no idea what's said on there, but I remember a lot of complaining on here every time a Season 2 table pack appeared with no DMD tables. Shame if it contributes to putting FS off making a lot of them, as we'll miss a lot of good tables.

The complaints from last season were because of all the sub par tables being released.

I mean, "Goin Nuts", Haunted House", "Victory", "El Dorado", etc etc? It was just too much. There were many other SS tables that were far, FAR better that they could've done.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
Not sure what the sales were on each table pack but centaur and flight 2000 were two of the best releases during the season in my opinion. Unfortunately one was paired with goin nuts. If only we could have gotten other WMS or stern electronics tables from that early ss era it could be a different story on the critical opinion of season 2 overall.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
I voted no... because I feel Dracula should be the September release :)

Tales from the Crypt can be the Haloween game.

How awesome would that be?

Also, where are these strong Dracula rumors coming from?

Zombie Aladdin

Mar 28, 2014
The complaints from last season were because of all the sub par tables being released.

I mean, "Goin Nuts", Haunted House", "Victory", "El Dorado", etc etc? It was just too much. There were many other SS tables that were far, FAR better that they could've done.

Hey, I like Haunted House. It felt like a worthy sequel to Black Hole.

DokkenRokken

Banned
Apr 7, 2014
Not sure what the sales were on each table pack but centaur and flight 2000 were two of the best releases during the season in my opinion. Unfortunately one was paired with goin nuts. If only we could have gotten other WMS or stern electronics tables from that early ss era it could be a different story on the critical opinion of season 2 overall.

"Flight 2000" was actually a very nice surprise. I had never played it, nor heard of it, and found it to be an absolute blast.

"Centaur" on the other hand... ugh. I'll never get the love for that one.

Hey, I like Haunted House. It felt like a worthy sequel to Black Hole.

I'm biased, as I don't like tables with lower levels. I just can't get into them.

Plus, I think "Black Hole" was way more fun than "Haunted House". I remember when the polls were out, EVERYONE was hyping "Haunted House", and when it finally got released, people were like "Meh, it's ok". lol I found that kinda weird.

In any event, I thought it was a letdown in my opinion, for as much hype as it got. I will say this much though, the table art and music for it were pretty cool at least.

lettuce

Mar 17, 2012
I voted no... because I feel Dracula should be the September release :)

Tales from the Crypt can be the Haloween game.

How awesome would that be?

Also, where are these strong Dracula rumors coming from?

September you say, hell yeah!, the sooner the better to get BSD in TPA. Usually Sept and Oct tables are Halloween themed so maybe you should of voted YES!?.

If the 2 tables do eventually come out it will underline how much more of a superior tables BSD is to TFTC, are people forgetting that TFTC came from Data East and whilst it's probably their best table it has a fairly shallow ruleset (like the majority of DE tables) and won't hold your interest for a super long time, it pales In comparison to BSD deep rule set. People will still be coming back and play BSD long after they have forgotten about TFTC, guess thats why BSD is used in a lot of tournaments as it's one of the greats!

night

May 18, 2012

Haunted House a sub par table? Blasphemy!

pm1109

Dec 18, 2013
Yeah I agree.Season 2 was terrible.Apart from 3 or 4 tables.
Thankfully Season 3 is much better.
Season 1 is still number one in my book unless we get a big finish to season 3

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
I think people had fond memories of haunted house but over the years it has not held up. I personally think it is decently fun but even for me it's not as good as I remember. Plus my last time playing it between my childhood and tpa was a modified table with multiball. That was insane!!! Black hole is much more fun, though.

Zombie Aladdin

Mar 28, 2014
"Centaur" on the other hand... ugh. I'll never get the love for that one.

I appreciate the artwork for Centaur, but I've never been a fan of that whole grunge look popular in the '80s, so my appreciation is in the thought to make it look different and the effort the artists must have gone through to make it. As for the gameplay itself, it seems to be highly momentum-based, as it rewards you increasingly strongly as you prevent the ball from draining. This irks me somewhat, as it means your progress is destroyed whenever you drain, leading to more frustrating than normal.

I think people had fond memories of haunted house but over the years it has not held up. I personally think it is decently fun but even for me it's not as good as I remember. Plus my last time playing it between my childhood and tpa was a modified table with multiball. That was insane!!! Black hole is much more fun, though.

Well, with me, I have no fond memories to look back to. The only table released thus far I had any familiarity with before I looked into The Pinball Arcade was... Ripley's Believe It or Not! Most of these are new to me. When I got into pinball last year, nearly everything on location is a modern Stern from 2003 and onwards. Classic tables have become rare as home collectors snatch them up, and the private owners around here seem to be disdainful of on-location pinball.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
I'd say yes, but I feel that this Haloween is going to be the first Data East table, Tales from the Crypt.

Wasn't Keanu Reeves in Dracula? I'd imagine that's an expensive license, whereas Tales one property, and one that hasn't been used in a good 20 years to my knowledge with anything. Dracula wasn't a bomb, and it has big name actors in it.

Then again with the way Farsight is dodging -anything- even remotely licenced, like Road Show and The Getaway, kinda makes me worry we'll even get Tales!
I think the fact they didn't do Getaway this season is because of High Speed - FS said a long time ago they were interested in doing both, and High Speed would be first.

I guess all their likenesses aren't used.
They are on the artwork, but FS did say they might alter the likenesses if it's the only thing stopping them from releasing it. Data East had to do this with Back to the Future, when Michael J Fox refused to allow his likeness. Gary Oldman and some others lent their voices to this, which would have a detrimental effect if they replaced them (if they even could) but I'm not sure what the legality is over voices, or whether the dialogue in this game is recorded specifically for the game, ripped from the film and repurposed, or if it even matters.

Last edited:

Zombie Aladdin

Mar 28, 2014
I think it is possible to re-dub in a soundalike if they can't get the voice rights, but don't quote me on this. Usually, soundalikes are used because the intended actor is unavailable or the producton can't afford his or her fees.

Zombie Aladdin

Mar 28, 2014
Some of the songs were outright removed from the game. Considering Creature from the Black Lagoon simply plays songs at random, this really doesn't affect the game much at all.

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
Plus, I think "Black Hole" was way more fun than "Haunted House". I remember when the polls were out, EVERYONE was hyping "Haunted House", and when it finally got released, people were like "Meh, it's ok". lol I found that kinda weird.

Yeah, Haunted House looks and sounds way better in concept than it actually plays. What could be better than two playfields? THREE playfields!

But... not really. All the various ways to change levels are neat, but that's about all there is to the game. There's nothing to work towards, no escalation, no progression. Black Hole ramps up the thrills as you activate those scoring accelerators and lock balls, with a beautiful payoff of triple-scoring multiball. Haunted House just doesn't have enough to do. It has an EB to chase and that's about it... so it's every bit as exciting as El Dorado.

And TPA's conversion of Haunted House ruined the feel by making the flippers far too strong. It plays way too fast and jumpy, not at all like the real machine should. Black Hole doesn't have this problem because the flipper configuration lets you bounce pass to deaden the ball and gain control, unlike HH that punishes control attempts with that godawful extra outlane between the right-side flippers.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
Yeah, Haunted House looks and sounds way better in concept than it actually plays. What could be better than two playfields? THREE playfields!

But... not really. All the various ways to change levels are neat, but that's about all there is to the game. There's nothing to work towards, no escalation, no progression. Black Hole ramps up the thrills as you activate those scoring accelerators and lock balls, with a beautiful payoff of triple-scoring multiball. Haunted House just doesn't have enough to do. It has an EB to chase and that's about it... so it's every bit as exciting as El Dorado.

And TPA's conversion of Haunted House ruined the feel by making the flippers far too strong. It plays way too fast and jumpy, not at all like the real machine should. Black Hole doesn't have this problem because the flipper configuration lets you bounce pass to deaden the ball and gain control, unlike HH that punishes control attempts with that godawful extra outlane between the right-side flippers.

Yeah, I really wanted to try Haunted House, but the layout killed it for me. The main playfield is completely empty. Almost coffin-like. And the mini-playfields don't hold my attention enough. It can be fun for the odd game, but takes a lot of patience to marathon.

Zombie Aladdin

Mar 28, 2014
I personally see Haunted House as an atmosphere table--while I do try to get as high of a score as I can, I'm fully aware that there's no progression going on, so I just treat it like exploring a haunted house. I think that's what the concept is supposed to be anyway. I just kind of hoped it would play more than 5 seconds of Toccata and Fugue in D Minor.

El Dorado does get annoying after a while though, as it has like three sound effects as its entire sound library. There are EMs with greater sound variety. Was that an early solid-state? Was that all the sound its memory could hold?

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts