will lighting and ball reflection be upgraded for the new air and mini retina

Pete

Jul 16, 2012
Im most likley going to be picking up an ipad mini retina when they come out. I was wondering since the a7 chip is so much faster than last gen can we expect to see upgraded graphics when using one of these new pads?

Pete

Jul 16, 2012
i really hope now that the pc port is out of the way and the ps4 port is pretty much out farsight will have the time to make some improvements to this. I think there has been no real graphics change since the first ipad retina 2 gens ago, and the new one promises 8 times faster graphics and 4 times faster cpu than last years model.

norbert26

Apr 21, 2013
Im most likley going to be picking up an ipad mini retina when they come out. I was wondering since the a7 chip is so much faster than last gen can we expect to see upgraded graphics when using one of these new pads?
if they did there would need to be a special version. not everyone is running out to buy new models that would support it.

Pete

Jul 16, 2012
I forget where i found it but I was reading a speculative article about a year ago that was saying that it wont be long till the power inside tablets is equal or better than xbox360/ps3. I don't think we are there yet but it is getting close and I would not be surprised if next years models hit that level of power. I'd really like to see some benchmark tests on the a7 chip compared to 360/ps3, no one seems to have done that yet but I'm sure eventually it's bound to happen. This year it seems the big upgrade in the tablet market is the screen resolution, with all the other companies putting out models to compete with apple's retina display. I think there's no reason to go much higher than 300ppi, as in print 300dpi is pretty damn good (600 being the professional standard, and yes 1200dpi is common in commercial printing as well). I think they will keep the high end screen resolutions how they are for at least 3 more years as there really isn't much of a point to bump them up any more. To make new models more enticing companies will have to start putting more into battery time and storage size, huge improvements in speed and power, and hopefully durability as well. Samsung is supposedly working on near unbreakable tablets and phones that might start to come into the market toward the end of 2014. I think once people start seeing commercials about tablets with unbreakable glass every company is going to have to follow and do the same or lose lots of sales, because were all pretty tired of dealing with shattered phone screens.

farmerjohn

Jun 16, 2012
Bobby said in the recent interview that they have no current plans to upgrade the graphics for the new ipad.

You can listen to the interview here:

http://digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php/6261-Round-3-Q-amp-A-With-Bobby-King

I can understand that from a business point of view, but if possible i would like them to reconsider just one tiny detail on just one table:
Translucent ramps on No Good Gofers :)

So please Farsight, make at least that little change if it's not that hard to implement.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Any new graphics power gains in the upcoming devices such as iPhone 6, iPhone 6S and iPad Whatever that occur over the next two years should be 100% devoted to getting SAM emulation running.

Even if that means that SAM games will be exclusive to the newest devices, PS4, Xbox One, and PC, so be it. Same goes for Revenge from Mars, if they chose to pursue that.

If you upgrade the graphics engine, then you can forget about having any left over power for SAM emulation.

As it stands, the game looks amazing in it's current form. When I'm in the standard camera angle, it almost looks as good as console, minus the lighting of course. The lighting that's there isn't bad at all, and overall the game is gorgeous on iOS. Full clip 60FPS, little to no jaggies (on my "ancient" 4S phone no less), good geometry, good textures, the works. In some ways, mobile actually looks better than current gen console artistically. Bright, colorful, beautiful playfield art really shines on mobile, whereas on console it can be darkened out (though "day time" mode on PS4 might be a different story).

Upgrading the visuals will also mean that iPhone 4, 4S and old iPads will be left in the dust. That's not a good idea right now, considering iOS is their biggest market.

I can understand that from a business point of view, but if possible i would like them to reconsider just one tiny detail on just one table:
Translucent ramps on No Good Gofers :)

So please Farsight, make at least that little change if it's not that hard to implement.

Me as well.

I also want to add that with Victory, Class of 1812, and T'eed Off, the visuals have been "improved". They went with a darker lighting scheme. To me it looks awful, and details and artwork in 1812 is darkened out, but people keep complaining and this is what you're going to get. For worse.

Strangely enough though, Haunted House hasn't seemed to suffer from this new art/graphics direction, so I really hope that the next tables are not darkened out and retain the bright, colorful, beautiful work that's standard for iOS. We'll see.

Last edited:

farmerjohn

Jun 16, 2012
Upgrading the visuals will also mean that iPhone 4, 4S and old iPads will be left in the dust. That's not a good idea right now, considering iOS is their biggest market.

As Jeff Strong already pointed out, that's not true. You can make an app load different types of settings/textures according to the device its running on.
Farsight already does this themselves with the different versions for iPad.

Mayuh

Sep 2, 2012
I remember plants vs zombies loading retina gfx on first startup if it detects a retina iPad.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
As Jeff Strong already pointed out, that's not true. You can make an app load different types of settings/textures according to the device its running on.
Farsight already does this themselves with the different versions for iPad.

This is true. It's why Scared Stiff has that "Dead Head endless loop" bug only on iPad3 and later.

Patrick

May 21, 2012
Bobby said in the recent interview that they have no current plans to upgrade the graphics for the new ipad.

You can listen to the interview here:

http://digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php/6261-Round-3-Q-amp-A-With-Bobby-King

It is the bad news of the month...

What is the interest of having more power if we don't use it.
Now I play on PC too and when I come back on my ipad I don't want to launch the game. Sure we can't have the same quality but lighting could be better I think

Last edited:

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
It is the bad news of the month...

What is the interest of having more power if we don't use it.
Now I play on PC too and when I come back on my ipad I don't want to launch the game. Sure we can't have the same quality but lighting could be better I think

Last I checked, the iPad did two or three other things that weren't Pinball Arcade, otherwise it's not FS's fault if someone buys one under assumption that it would come with bells and whistles not promised.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.