Will There Be Pinball Arcade On The Next Gen Consoles?

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Some thoughts while I was reading all this...

I don't know about Xbox, but Sony has put in a crazy amount of effort to have a huge digital selection of games on PSN. The way the Vita is set up, they're practically begging you to buy all digital. I do not expect the physical console to have backward compatibility with physical discs, but I will be shocked if they don't emulate for the digital library they have.

As for TPA on next gen, I gotta believe that whatever they're working on for PC release would tie in nicely with the new consoles. They said that once PC happens, odds are all development will shift to that from the 360. Tuning might still be done on 360, but everything else would be PC. They mentioned that a TPA 2, much like Zen did, is very much a possibility. That would allow them to change the things that they can't with the current build. Hopefully they'd follow Zen's model of 'if you already bought it, it's still yours'. They told me that Xbox and PS3 just aren't set up for how DLC is delivered and maintained now, like the mobiles are, but next gen obviously would be. That'll make they're lives much easier.

Talking sales of Xbox and RROD being replaced for free, I'll share this little gem...

I'm in GameStop and some guy comes rushing in with his kids in tow, bee lining it for the counter. He asks if they have any 360s in stock cause theirs just RROD. The employee said they did, but also told the guy he could just send his in to Microsoft and 2 weeks later he'd have it back. The guy thought about that for about 3 seconds before saying, "yeah I can't wait that long and the kids wanna play their games now. I'll buy this one now and send in the old one to get fixed and then save it as a back up for this one." I asked the employee once it was my turn if he saw that a lot. He told me that was quite typical, and also where they get most of their used consoles from, the newly refurbished machine.

Finally, what's really driving this next gen. It isn't the games. Microsoft is all about creating this machine that happens to play games. Newest rumor over on Kotaku is that the Durango has a new Kinect that will sell with every console and HAS to be connected at all times for the console to function. Also that all games will download onto the 500gb hard drive, none will actually play from the disc. You'll be able to play while it downloads though, so at least there won't be that frustration. And then there's the little rumor that you'll have to have an active online connection to play or do most anything. Internet goes out for the night, service is interupted, yeah you get to stare at a hunk of plastic.

I guess we'll find out what Sony really has up their sleeve on the 20th, but I think the vast majority of the public is really preparing themselves to wince in pain over some of the 'improvements to our life' these new consoles are gonna deliver.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
The same emulation is needed for PSN games AND physical discs. If you have one, you have the other because they are the same.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Yes, but that's where talk of Sony maybe using that cloud service they just bought, having the emulation be on their servers, not in your machine. Kind of like how you can play these very complicated games in your web browser. It isn't your browser that is doing all the heavy lifting!

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
The same emulation is needed for PSN games AND physical discs. If you have one, you have the other because they are the same.
The thought seems to be that Sony would build something into the hardware that rejects reading PS3 discs as opposed to not doing the emulation.

Tabe

diablomozart

Aug 13, 2012
little known fact...you could still access certain xbox original games on live (doom 3 was one of them) up until about a year ago...so while it wasnt widely known ms didnt just cut off access to the org xbox immediately after the 360 came out...d.m.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Id imagine SONY does what they did last launch with backwards compatibility being a selling point because of limited launch titles then when it's time for SLIM ditch it with much more PS4 titles available.

RetroDude

Mar 24, 2012
I'm chomping at the bit for new hardware and am Pro digital download, no used games etc... I have absolutely zero problem with that.
The moment new systems are available my current systems are out of here and good riddance. I never want to see another generation last longer than 5 years.

If you're so quick to dump games so quickly once there is something slightly newer, why are you playing digital versions of pinball machines that are decades old?

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
If you're so quick to dump games so quickly once there is something slightly newer, why are you playing digital versions of pinball machines that are decades old?

Wow. You just held the mic and let it drop with that one, didn't cha?!

I'm gonna grab some popcorn and see how this plays out. :D

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012
Yes, but that's where talk of Sony maybe using that cloud service they just bought, having the emulation be on their servers, not in your machine. Kind of like how you can play these very complicated games in your web browser. It isn't your browser that is doing all the heavy lifting!

What, like OnLive? Sounds implausible to use such an advanced service for as "minor" an issue as emulating older games. First of all, if they were to do that, they would run on real hardware, it doesn't make sense to emulate it. Second, if they were gonna use that technology, the specs of the PS4 itself wouldn't be of importance, if they could stream games with higher requirements than what the PS4 itself can handle, why not use it to do just that, rather than just emulation?

Personally I'm definitely not a fan of the streaming thing. And on a game like TPA? Even a few miliseconds of lag (which is unavoidable) would be enough to ruin such a game.

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012
Id imagine SONY does what they did last launch with backwards compatibility being a selling point because of limited launch titles then when it's time for SLIM ditch it with much more PS4 titles available.

I'd be fine with that, unfortunately that's not exactly what they did with PS3 :(

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
Some thoughts while I was reading all this...

I don't know about Xbox, but Sony has put in a crazy amount of effort to have a huge digital selection of games on PSN. The way the Vita is set up, they're practically begging you to buy all digital. I do not expect the physical console to have backward compatibility with physical discs, but I will be shocked if they don't emulate for the digital library they have.

I hope they do have support for playing existing PSN games on the PS4, for the convenience if nothing else.

Hinph

Feb 29, 2012
Makes me wonder if I should pass on Wii U and get it for PS4 launch. I'm unimpressed that there is no offscreen play and I dislike the way Nintendo links content purchases to a single console rather than an account.

If tables purchased for PS3 transfer over to PS4 with all additional upgrades, it would be best for me to just go that route. We probably won't get that answer for awhile...

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
+1 I'm happy playing emulators since xbox1 died in 2005, just haven't felt the urge the same.
Only modern game I occasionally play is GTA, and that's rare.

I'm with you here, I actually didn't get into this gen until almost 2010 when I bought my brother's 360 off of him. I just feel like every new game out, I've played before and there are very few games that really grab my attention these days.

360 has twice the RAM of the ps3 so that explains it

This would explain overall quality but not the consistency. Some items in some of the tables or some of the assets/techniques used most likely just proved more challenging to move over effectively.

Finally, what's really driving this next gen. It isn't the games. Microsoft is all about creating this machine that happens to play games. Newest rumor over on Kotaku is that the Durango has a new Kinect that will sell with every console and HAS to be connected at all times for the console to function. Also that all games will download onto the 500gb hard drive, none will actually play from the disc. You'll be able to play while it downloads though, so at least there won't be that frustration. And then there's the little rumor that you'll have to have an active online connection to play or do most anything. Internet goes out for the night, service is interupted, yeah you get to stare at a hunk of plastic.

I guess we'll find out what Sony really has up their sleeve on the 20th, but I think the vast majority of the public is really preparing themselves to wince in pain over some of the 'improvements to our life' these new consoles are gonna deliver.

This last part really bothers me. In fact, this could spell the end of gaming for me altogether. I'm not exactly shy of other hobbies and there is quite a library of older games that i really need to complete that should keep me busy for 5-10 years i'm sure.

Makes me wonder if I should pass on Wii U and get it for PS4 launch. I'm unimpressed that there is no offscreen play and I dislike the way Nintendo links content purchases to a single console rather than an account.

If tables purchased for PS3 transfer over to PS4 with all additional upgrades, it would be best for me to just go that route. We probably won't get that answer for awhile...

If there's no backwards compatibility, PSN/XBOXLIVE titles will not be directly playable on the new systems. Just like retail games, they are developped to run on specific hardware.

Hinph

Feb 29, 2012
But perhaps there could be a content link between PS3 and PS4 as there is with Vita to where our purchases could carry over to that version?

SlamCitySkates

Sep 20, 2012
The top-selling console in this generation is the PS3. Sony passed Microsoft in 2012. It's worth noting that a LOT of 360 sales are from people buying a second (or third or fourth) one after their initial system got the RROD. That's a nice testament to brand loyalty but it also artificially inflates sales numbers. Sony had similar issues but to a far lesser extent.

Tabe

The PS3 bombed initially because Blu-Ray was an unknown technology, and for the price they wanted for it on release, it was poor VFM given the number of games it had. It is now considered better than the XBox, because it is considered a very good BluRay player (though still an 'average' games console). The Xbox is certainly the console that will benefit most from the Next Generation.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
The PS3 bombed initially because Blu-Ray was an unknown technology, and for the price they wanted for it on release, it was poor VFM given the number of games it had. It is now considered better than the XBox, because it is considered a very good BluRay player (though still an 'average' games console). The Xbox is certainly the console that will benefit most from the Next Generation.

Blu-Ray is what drove up the cost of the console (hitting Sony with a $200 loss for each sold), not what caused it to bomb. Hubris hurt the PS3 more than anything at the start here in America. Go look at 360 numbers in Japan at launch and tell me how they did. Right? Makes the PS3 look like a blockbuster.

The PS3 was a Trojan Horse to get Blu-Ray players in people's homes. Had Xbox actually shipped with an HD-DVD player, who knows how the format war would've played out, but clearly Sony played for the long game, even though it hurt their Playstation image. We'll find out more tomorrow, but I gotta believe Sony won't make that same egotastic blunder a second time, or it will kill their console days.

Hinph

Feb 29, 2012
Yup, I agree that the PS3 was all about getting Bluray players into homes to defeat HDDVD. I would guess that this was ultimately a good, profitable move for Sony as a whole. They stumbled a bit on PS3 as a result, but I doubt they hurt their image or consumer trust too significantly. If PS4 retails at a reasonable price alongside some worthy exclusives, they have a real good shot of taking the #1 spot back this generation... in fact, my bets are on that happening. Microsoft can't perform as well in Japan no matter what they do and Wii U is set to become another Gamecube for Nintendo (or worse) with the way sales and third party developer support is going.

monty22001

Dec 28, 2012
The Wii U is an incredible flop, that's the big news this generation. Too early and too little change. Sony/MS are way due for a major upgrade and it looks like they're doing it. Nintendo blew it this time, the gadget charm is over. If Sony/MS try to push too far though they could have problems, especially with Kinect being standard on the MS system.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
The Wii U is an incredible flop, that's the big news this generation. Too early and too little change. Sony/MS are way due for a major upgrade and it looks like they're doing it. Nintendo blew it this time, the gadget charm is over. If Sony/MS try to push too far though they could have problems, especially with Kinect being standard on the MS system.
Kinect was another overhyped gadget. Except for Dance Central, every game has been a disappointment.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.