Would you like to see original tables?

night

May 18, 2012
I would prefer if we could make these tables ourselves with a digital pinball creator.

danivempire

Oct 26, 2013
If they ever go that way, releasing original tables, they would need to really think it through and not go the way Zen pinball goes.
Their tables are nice to play, but it doesn't play like pinball....

On future pinball, I've played a few really good original tables like Knight rider, grendizer and gremlins.
The gremlins table is really awesome, and look professionnal, too bad future pinball physics are really bad...

Crawley

Mar 25, 2013
Zen like tables would be fine but my preference would be creating tables that look/play like the real-life counterparts. To me that's the allure of this product.

Kinda surprised at all the posts where people are not interested in new pinball tables. Pinball has been pretty stagnant for years with a trickle of new tables coming out since the 90's. And virtual tables have mainly been updates of the existing tables and then Zen. I would think people would be chomping at the bit to see new original tables they could play.

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
I say "give em' a shot." On the other hand I think of the Future Pinball original creations that I've played. Very few of them held my attention for long. The pinball creator idea seems more interesting to me. An easy to use interface with lots of samples for playfield and plastic art along with "toys" that can be implemented to do different things would be pretty cool. Seems like it would be a major undertaking to design something like that and make it easy enough for the novice to figure out.

foxystyle

Nov 23, 2013
I would love to see sequels to my fav tables. I can imagine a sequel to Black Knight with a DMD, new features and the same old good soundtrack.

BigWeather

Jul 1, 2013
I'd be interested as a separate app, similar to "Pinball After Dark", but not as part of the main seasons -- I like that reserved for recreations of historical tables.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
SIN? What's that? Am I missing a reference?
Sin is an original table design I'm working on intermittently as real life allows. The stated goal is to end up with a table that has the complexity of Twilight Zone, the flow of Attack from Mars, and the humor of Scared Stiff.

If you listen to the last segment of TPA Barcade Podcast #2, the gang and I discuss Sin for about 15 to 20 minutes at the end.

Freelance

Feb 28, 2012
Not really. TPA's biggest appeal for me is the fact I can play all the pins I never got the chance to play when I was younger, as I've never been to an arcade in my life. If they do start making original pins, I do NOT want them to go with Zen's route and make them all video-gamey. I want it to be like the Pro Pinball series, where each original table feels just like an actual pinball table.

oqvist

Nov 23, 2013
It would be interesting with new phantasy tables. There is virtual pinball as good as real life. Big race USA and timeshock! is as good as any real table I ever played. Fantastic Journey is nicely designed but never did it for me. For some reason I kind of preferr designs that could be made IRL but yes why not wide bodies better suited for 16:9 displays :)

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
I believe that if the team does this, it should be a separate app. pinball arcade is for real pins only.

That said if a new real pinball game is made first, then recreating it in TPA would be legit. :)

If, say, SIN got made in real life, then it would be eligible for inclusion in TPA.

I would want it to still not be very ZEN like.

However, what would be interesting is visual gimmicks... that are doable in real life as well. Say instead of spinning discs on whirlwind it would have actual tornadoes on the table. they would act like the spinning discs did. Only tricks that coudl be replicated in real life would be allowed.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
I believe that if the team does this, it should be a separate app. pinball arcade is for real pins only.

That said if a new real pinball game is made first, then recreating it in TPA would be legit. :)

If, say, SIN got made in real life, then it would be eligible for inclusion in TPA.

I would want it to still not be very ZEN like.

However, what would be interesting is visual gimmicks... that are doable in real life as well. Say instead of spinning discs on whirlwind it would have actual tornadoes on the table. they would act like the spinning discs did. Only tricks that coudl be replicated in real life would be allowed.

Yeah, with Pepper's ghosts you could easily add visual effects and have magnets, discs, etc to create unusual ball behavior

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
I would prefer Farsight to spend all their time on recreating real tables. This is what is most interesting to me and there are still so many interesting tables out there. That being said, I would probably still buy an original table.

JPelter

Jun 11, 2012
I would probably buy original tables if they were releasing such, but I wouldn't be too happy about it. Looking at Zen it's pretty clear that what they put out is lightyears away from real pinball tables from real designers as far as table design and rulesets go. They've been getting better at it recently, and there are a handful of actually really well done tables on the platform (Fear Itself is probably the crown jewel), but overall it's going to be incredibly difficult for anyone to get to the level the Bally/Williams and old Gottlieb designers were at at their peak. I think it'd just lead to disappointment.

tripleplonq

Dec 3, 2012
I would like to see good original tables. I don't care for licenses or names, if the layout, rules and artwork are nice and the lighting and physics are great... Yes. But it should be a separate app.

Members online

Members online