Wow! - Pinball Arcade coming to Oculus Rift in 2016 - confirmed

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
After reading impressions from the Valve/Vive event that VR system is looking like it will be better than the Rift. I'd be far more interested in Vive support at the moment.

lio

Jul 24, 2013
Ever since I saw the price tag on the first consumer version of the rift I'm somewhat less excited about this... had it been released with the originally announced 300-400$ price tag I would have pre-ordered it in a heartbeat... 741€ is something different... so now I'll wait and see what Valve has up their sleeves and then probably wait some more until the prices come down a bit (hopefully)...

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
Neither oculus rift nor cabinet support would do my wallet (or my neck) any favors.

To each their own.

I find it odd that unofficial cabinet support has been accomplished by some intelligent hobbyist staying up later at night. I'm sure the same can be said for so many in the emulation/simulation community, for whom re-creating classic arcade video/pinball games is a labor of love.

Last edited:

DaPinballWizard

Apr 16, 2012
Just wish FarSight saw it that way and gave us true cabinet support. Thought that is what they were trying to accomplish from the start but something happened along the way. Given up on them a long time ago as far as cabinet support of any quality. Still have my hopes set on Pro Pinball. That makes my cabinet come to life, and it is just beta. I think we will see true cabinet support from Barnstorm and PP. Can't wait!!

nudnick

Apr 8, 2014
Just wish FarSight saw it that way and gave us true cabinet support. Thought that is what they were trying to accomplish from the start but something happened along the way. Given up on them a long time ago as far as cabinet support of any quality. Still have my hopes set on Pro Pinball. That makes my cabinet come to life, and it is just beta. I think we will see true cabinet support from Barnstorm and PP. Can't wait!!

I'm pretty sure it all has to do with licensing. the fear is probably that once they release the ability for cabinet that "some" folks out there will turn around and make the use "public" rather than "private". I just requested my code form Zen Pinball for cabinet support for Pinball FX2 and got an email from the Zen Studios Community Manager requesting that I send back a pic of what I use to play Pinball FX2 on so that they could verify that it is not going to be used for "public" use. Once I sent him back a pic of my ugly home made plywood cab, he sent me a code to unlock cabinet mode.

It would be cool if FS supported a cabinet building tool and followed Zen's method and requested a pic from us to verify that it will not be used for public use ... maybe also a checkbox license agreement when turning on cabinet support that specifies that it will not be used for public use.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Yeah, they confirmed (on FB) that it is a licensing issue. They had it more or less ready (FS is playing it on their private cab) and it got dumped because they didn't want to work something out / gave business with Stern a higher priority.

I tried to start a discussion about the zen method here
Farsight, pleas fix cab licensing issues --> Zen Fx2 role model
http://digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php?t=10940

am1001

Mar 6, 2014
I am interested in the vive now its been announced for £689 all in for the uk. Can Farsight confirm that pinball arcade is coming to Vive too?

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
I am interested in the vive now its been announced for £689 all in for the uk. Can Farsight confirm that pinball arcade is coming to Vive too?

Yeah, after all of the latest hands-on reviews and comparisons between them the Vive is definitely the one I'm more interested in.

Robert Misner

Oct 4, 2014
i'm beginning to worry when they said it would be coming to Occulus rift ,that they mean it will be coming to the Occulus store as a new app not just an update/upgrade for the pc users.
Which could mean Occulus exclusive..and having to rebuy all the seasons again.
I think everyone's hoping its just an update..wish they would clarify their intentions instead of the wall of silence. The price of these things is definitely more then I had hoped but Id like to get Vive as well vs the Rift.

Pete

Jul 16, 2012
does anyone else think it's pretty hilarious that after wanting virtual reality to exist for most my life I am more excited about playing pinball virtually than doing anything else with it? using the most modern gaming technology to play one of the oldest... it's great! now i realize it's not magic and we aren't going to really be able to touch and feel anything we will basically just be holding a controller and having a screen up in our face. But just to be able to look around the table by moving our heads is soooooo cool. pinball arcade seems so static at times always stuck in the same angle, having free control of the perception is going to make it feel 2000 times more real.

Robert Misner

Oct 4, 2014
I watched this Vive Demo yesterday..
and then went and preordered it. Simply amazing. Its a game changer. I can't see how anyone isn't excited by the potential.

Robert Misner

Oct 4, 2014
then I watched this 80's Retro-arcade vr front end..and i'm hoping someone somehow finds away to add pinball tables to it and launch all our pinball games thru it ,even if it ports you a different room(like TPAs temp room)and i was giddy like a little girl.

I've been using a heavily modified HotRod controller upgraded with a zebboards analog nudge controller and converted to x-arcade controller for the joysticks.
This things gonna be perfect for VR pinball and Arcade games.I'm very tempted to get an X-arcade tanks stick for trackball support
t8wyCzN.png

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
If this further evolves I guess we all will have a fun time in the retirement home.

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
does anyone else think it's pretty hilarious that after wanting virtual reality to exist for most my life I am more excited about playing pinball virtually than doing anything else with it? using the most modern gaming technology to play one of the oldest... it's great! now i realize it's not magic and we aren't going to really be able to touch and feel anything we will basically just be holding a controller and having a screen up in our face. But just to be able to look around the table by moving our heads is soooooo cool. pinball arcade seems so static at times always stuck in the same angle, having free control of the perception is going to make it feel 2000 times more real.

I pre-ordered my Samsung Galaxy S7 a few days ago and because I pre-ordered they also give me the Samsung Gear VR headset.
Pretty simple, but still cool to get it for free, but I'm surprised that neither Zen nor TPA seems to have simply made their Android versions VR compatible...
Seems like it would require fairly little to implement and people could already be playing it in VR with Google Glass or the Gear VR.

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
I watched this Vive Demo yesterday..
and then went and preordered it. Simply amazing. Its a game changer. I can't see how anyone isn't excited by the potential.

I hadn't seen that particular vid you posted, but I've read/watched about 10 different hands on comparisons between the Vive/Occulus and most seem to agree that the Vive comes off as way more impressive (although the Occulus has far more games in the pipe).

The Vive also looks awesome and expensive and the Occulus looks generic and plain in comparison. I'm looking forward to trying both, but the Vive looks better to me.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.