You can own ONLY 1 TABLE !!! Which one ???

invitro

May 4, 2012
Yeah, I checked out the list on IPDB, and this looks like the only difference of import (I looked at several pics of the regular and LE and didn't see any big deal about the other differences, though I might have a different opinion if I compared them in person):
• 'Armies of Middle Earth' plastic figures were not used. Therefore, no mounting holes exist in the playfield plastics for them.
Extra toys on the playfield is a big difference, so to me it seems like the LE is quite a bit less desirable than the regular edition. I identified two figures in the pics of the regular that I didn't see on the LE, are there more than two? Anyway, it's pretty crazy that the LE would be less desirable... am I losing my mind? Are any of the other differences good enough to outweigh not having the figures?

The main negative about LotR to me is that I find the art to be ugly as sin, the usual Stern Photoshop crap. This is only the flat art... the physical components on the playfield look terrific. I hope I get to play a LotR someday... I'm hoping that SPA will have it within a year.

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
Maybe they had to cut cost after slapping gold trim on everything...:) agree that's funny business. Haven't seen a LE up close though, it could be all that, even with missing figures...

invitro

May 4, 2012
I know I have almost no experience with almost all Sterns, so I have to assess them from pictures and videos. It seems like at least the recent Stern LE's have had some substantial playfield component(s) that are not on the non-LE versions, so I probably assumed this had been the case for a lot longer time than it actually has been :).

IPDB says the LE had a MSRP of $6,499. I wonder how much difference in price there is from the regular version. The oldest Stern I have an MSRP for is Spider-Man (2007) for $5,799.

I have played a few real TAFG's several times, and the gold trim is kind of nifty I guess, but the extra code is to me its biggest plus. But I don't remember much of it. I was excited when TPA had TAFG in place of TAF for that one weekend, and took many screenshots, but I wish I had been more excited and taken even more!

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
I bought my standard version for around 6500 euros, but that included a complete restore and application of a playfield protector by a specialized company in Germany (I also could have a basic fixed-up version for around 5500). I also know somebody who sold his heavily modded LE version for near 8000 euros. Saw a 7000 dollar asking price for an LE on Pinside. They estimate the standard version to be worth between $4990 - $5810 but have no estimate for the LE. I think all in all you'll luck out to have a LOTR standard in good condition for around 5000 dollars/euro's. You'll probably have to give up some more, or be prepared to fix up a LOTR in lesser state.

I also like the extra code in TAFG, but aside from scoring a bit more easily because of jacked-up Jackpots and Mansions, I don't think it makes much of a difference. I like the extra DMD animations and callouts.

HotHamBoy

Aug 2, 2014
It's a really hard question for me simply because I don't know enough about most tables to really judge their depth. I mean, ruling out tables I like is easier than picking one and being sure.

That said, I would probably pick Attack From Mars. The table is always fun to play, but more importantly it's so easy to understand. It's the kind of table that you just take one look at and "get it," even if you don't have much, if any, pinball experience - which applies to just about everyone I know. If i'm only going to have one pin it should be something anyone who plays it can enjoy without knowing the rules per se.

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
White Water would be my personal choice for a table I must own. I love the ramp designs, the theme, and the music to the game. The 5x playfield takes away some of the balance, but few things are more satisfying than scoring a triple jackpot during 5x-even more so than earning your second vacation jackpot in the same game. There's lots to do, clear objectives, and a cow's head complete with a pullstring too.

Of course I would need lots of replacement flippers, plunger springs, and cleaning solution to keep it in great shape. Worth it all in my book.
As close as Demolition Man would come, this is Dennis Nordman's best table IMO.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
My gut reaction was to say Whirlwind, as that's the one I really want to own. However, given the parameters of the question, I think not. Addams Family is a really good answer, as it's not just fun to play, but it's a really good looking pin. I also think Metallica would be great, as it acts as a sort of jukebox too!

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
Gotta be Medieval Madness for me. Darned thing attracted me when it first hit my arcade and I never let it go.

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
Medieval Madness is my gut reaction. It's probably the table I've played most IRL and digitally.

HotHamBoy

Aug 2, 2014
Oh, I just wanna say White Water is my second choice... such a fantastic game. I never get tired of it, that's one of the funnest combo shots in pinball. I love the callouts, too.

MontanaFrank

Dec 19, 2012
Thanks rhetroboi40 for creating this thread.

I was surprised to find that I had spent 15 hours playing TPA to figure out what was the one pinball machine I could only have in a fantasy situation.

I found that the most important aspect of picking a one and only pinball machine is the sound track and game play. I hardly ever play TPA with the sound on. I am addicted to TV; however to make my choice I turned up the volume on TPA up and the TV volume down.

After playing and listening to most TPA tables, I discovered the one pinball machine I like the most is Fish Tales, which surprised me. I love the bluegrass audio theme, the layout of the table and the fast lightning flipper play.

Ten years ago I was that red headed man smokin' a stogie and holdin' up the mess of fish I caught.

I am glad I was raised in Montana and am a country boy.

Snorzel

Apr 25, 2014
In dreamland 1st choice Monster Bash, 2nd Choice Black Knight 2000.

Back in reality I own a Jungle Queen that I have fixed as much as I know how. It needs some shop love from an experienced tech. I have saved enought to do it, but it just so happens a Flash pinball is up for sale for roughly what it could cost worst case to fix my J Q. So my pinball friends if you could pick just 1 out of Jungle Queen or Williams Flash, which would you choose? I would love some opinions

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
Mmmmhhhh... I'd say BSD (great presentation, theme, sound design, stacking multiballs is always a thrill)

But based on a pure nostalgia factor, Pin*Bot. (never get tired of the attract mode/post-game music)

Last edited:

ZREXMike

Jul 30, 2015
Right now STTNG, because it is the one I'm working on getting a better score at & getting thru that pesky tunnel. As far as a real table, T2 has always been the one I'd buy if I could afford a pinball machine. It just seems like it'd be alotta fun (never played one in RL) :)

Jay

May 19, 2012
I've owned three at various times. Now I just have one that I really enjoy. From that experience, the only way I would get another is if it had low maintenance. My current machine (Bally's 1963 Trio) still runs, but it needs a lot of work to bring it back into tip-top shape. So when considering at ease of maintenance, that would leave out a LOT of machines like TZ, TAF, Funhouse, ToM -- all games I love playing but know I could never maintain properly. In that regard, there are currently only three that I've been contemplating acquiring: Comet, OXO and Travel Time. Those are all mechanically simple enough yet have (IMO) fun gameplay.

As for all those wonderful machines I'll never own, that's what TPA is for!

Snorzel

Apr 25, 2014
I've owned three at various times. Now I just have one that I really enjoy. From that experience, the only way I would get another is if it had low maintenance. My current machine (Bally's 1963 Trio) still runs, but it needs a lot of work to bring it back into tip-top shape. So when considering at ease of maintenance, that would leave out a LOT of machines like TZ, TAF, Funhouse, ToM -- all games I love playing but know I could never maintain properly. In that regard, there are currently only three that I've been contemplating acquiring: Comet, OXO and Travel Time. Those are all mechanically simple enough yet have (IMO) fun gameplay.

As for all those wonderful machines I'll never own, that's what TPA is for!

Trio looks like a great pin. It would be cool if you could make a gameplay vid sometime. I looked but there are none out there. Glad too see another EM fan

I know exactly what you feel about machine maintenance. Got my Jungle Queen at a low price, then watching videos to learn about repair guy tells me this is one of the most complicated and thus hard to service EMs, on the bright side almost any machine should be easier :).

Jay

May 19, 2012
It would be cool if you could make a gameplay vid sometime.

I'd love to, but first I want to get it fully functioning. I worked at an amusement park for many years. Trio was in storage underneath their bumper car building, and the owner let me have it. Squirrels had been using it to make nests. So I cleaned it all up and got it working except for a few things. That was thirty years ago, and since then other parts have stopped working and I haven't yet tracked down the causes. I did manage to find the original schematics, so that should help. But that machine is ridiculously complex, even for an old EM.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.