Zaccaria Pinall - Update v1.2

inspector42

May 27, 2012
Holy smokes, the game plays FAST in simulation mode. Is this accurate to the tables, or has the new physics engine kicked it into overdrive?

mrtangerineman

May 7, 2013
Simulation is fast, and hard! I want the game to be as close to a real table as possible. I await the comments of some real table owners to see what they think of the update or if they tweak the options to get it spot on. In a way this update reminds me why I didn't play pinball in the arcades more growing up i.e. because it was hard and my money didn't last long. Wish I'd persevered then and definitely will now.

jhamdotme

Apr 14, 2012
Simulation is fast, and hard!

You're not kidding. Too hard for me, right now. I'm sure there's a Goldilocks "just right" custom setting, but I haven't really messed with any of that yet. Don't tell anyone, but I've been playing in "Arcade" mode.

Which reminds me: With local high scores, there's nothing separating Arcade Mode scores from Simulation scores. Surely this should be done. And what about with Custom settings? I know that Game Center is supposed to be coming in 1.3, and if we don't get expanded support for leaderboards at WWDC next month, they're going to have to really think about these things.

Mayuh

Sep 2, 2012
Yep, Farfalla is that fast in real life. Even my Star God (really early SS) is fast...

ZZZ used coils and mechanics 5-10 years before Williams/Bally used them. Good thing is that they're almost interchangeable... My StarGod's drop target reset is powered by Rudy's head assembly coil :)

Btw, the Farfalla we have here has a white ZZZ logo printed on the back of its glass in the lower right corner. I can take a picture next Friday...

Anyway really nice update! Thank you!

clembo2021

Apr 3, 2013
If you guys want to play it on Sim mode but you think the balls a bit too fast, turning up the "Ball Friction" will help take the edge off.

night

May 18, 2012
I bought Gold!

Some quick first observations:

Time Machine: great job on the new playfield, better colors and good to see the little palm trees on the red ramp!

Physics are.. fast, hard!! I have tweaked a little with the physics option, to soon to tell what the right adjustments should be. I had a hard time telling the difference until I set everything to 0 and compare it with 100. Are Zaccaria tables as fast as they are now?

Good flipper sizes.

Graphics: great to have control over inner/outer lights, helpful if you play in 'night' modus.. but the default night modus is now VERY dark. The thing is: adjusting the inner/outer lights will also affect 'normal' lighting, so when you switch to normal it will be too bright..

I can't seem to find a use for the RGB sliders. (You can have too many options as well :) )

The ball looks a bit too dark now.. I still think the older 'original' default ball had a good brightness but should have another environmental (less detailed) map and things are perfect. This one looks to grey/dark to me.

Good job on Farfalla!

I really think Zaccaria looks and feels much much 'real' than playing TPA, even thought their physics are good, their tables are too 3D and the sound FX are not on par with Zaccaria.
Zaccaria is a work in progress, but it's getting bloody good!

Edit: I wrote it before, but the games end too abrupt, when you loose your last ball imediatley the high-score window shows. A quick 1 second camera fly-over or a zoom-in on the backglass is a better way to end, and then show the high-score.

Last edited:

night

May 18, 2012
Will other tables be made available for preview? How does Time Machine rate against the other tables?

Time Machine is a strange but simple table. If you want to try another table you can't go wrong with Pinball Champ and Farfalla, they are more complex. Zaccaria tables are different, which is a good thing. Early 80-ties and obscure.

mrtangerineman

May 7, 2013
Time Machine is a strange but simple table. If you want to try another table you can't go wrong with Pinball Champ and Farfalla, they are more complex. Zaccaria tables are different, which is a good thing. Early 80-ties and obscure.

I don't think you can go wrong with a Silver or Gold membership if you can afford it. ASK have already demonstrated that they care about their customers and listen to feedback, so I don't think i'll be regretting my purchase six months down the line.

Vinc3Has3

May 11, 2013
So, I went looking for proper pinball machine angle, and the answer came up no less than 6 degrees to no more than 9 degrees, if you want faster play on your table. The updated physics engine has a 25 degree angle for Arcade mode, and 75 degrees for Simulation mode!

Zsolt, is the angle setting truly relative to the floor, like a true machine, or is it a more arbitrary internal measurement for your engine? Meaning, if I set an 8 degree angle, am I getting real-world type results, or ridiculously slow simulated play (I hope that made sense...)?

DeeEff

Feb 28, 2013
Zsolt, is the angle setting truly relative to the floor, like a true machine, or is it a more arbitrary internal measurement for your engine? Meaning, if I set an 8 degree angle, am I getting real-world type results, or ridiculously slow simulated play (I hope that made sense...)?

Let's hope the Playfield Degree setting isn't supposed to be real, as its allowed values are 0 (totally flat) to 100 (tipped 10 degrees forward past vertical)! :^O

I just played both of these settings and 0 still has the ball heading towards the flippers, albeit at a much slower acceleration rate than 100.

DeeEff

Feb 28, 2013
Bug: Custom physics settings easily lost

If you enable custom physics settings via the Game Mode switch (Arcade/Simulation/Custom), and then switch away from Custom to either Arcade or Simulation, a subsequent return to Custom loses all previous values - they are reset to the Simulation settings.

night

May 18, 2012
I played some more. Physics seem completely overhyped, is it me? I tuned everything down in the menu, almost all to 0 exept the table degree which I set on 7 and the flipper elasticy on 50, these settings seem(?) more real, but I make a wild guess here. Anyway, with settings set to 0 the flipper force and bumper force seem way too powerfull! Youtube vids look more relaxed in the physics, but I hardly have any reference.. I thought the physics before the update where more spot-on than it is now, and the physics adjustments won't get the wild edge of the physics.

When we set table degree to 0 the ball should not roll down at you anymore, bumper force set to 0 should have 0 force and set at 100 the force should be max. Then we can fine-tune it, but now we hardly can.

Keep in mind that I had some stutter issues on my iPad2 before the update, perhaps I am used to slower physics, I would love to hear other opinions, I might be wrong.

Last edited:

Mk pinball fan

Jul 11, 2012
I feel the same way. The Physics don't seem right. I've spent a better part of a day playing with the Physics. I just can't seem to get it right. The ball speed seems a bit fast as well as the flipper force. As stated above, even at 0 there is still movement. I'm not upset with my gold purchase, but I can't seem to play for very long with the new Physics. That being said, I've never played any of the real pins, so maybe I'm wrong here. Any suggestions are welcome!

Last edited:

DeeEff

Feb 28, 2013
Just found another bug with the physics settings, I think. You've got three switch settings -- Arcade, Simulation, and Custom. If you're on the Arcade or Simulation switch setting, you can change any of the sliders, but I don't think they have any effect on gameplay. When on the Custom switch setting, changing values via their sliders does have perceptible effects (as expected). Methinks the Arcade and Simulation mode sliders should be non-changeable if the intent is to have these two modes be consistent and give the user one configurable mode. As it is, it appears that one could create separate custom modes; one each for the Arcade, Simulation, and Custom switch positions (I'm actually in favor of this).

Sub-bug 3a: The text "To apply these settings use CUSTOM mode" appears at the bottom of the physics page, but this is a bit confusing: if you (for example) change Arcade mode settings, there is no way to "apply" them in Custom mode, other than changing the switch position to Custom and creating your settings group all over again.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Physics seem a bit off to me too. I haven't bought Gold yet. Waiting to see what happens with the physics.

Vinc3Has3

May 11, 2013
Let's hope the Playfield Degree setting isn't supposed to be real, as its allowed values are 0 (totally flat) to 100 (tipped 10 degrees forward past vertical)! :^O

I just played both of these settings and 0 still has the ball heading towards the flippers, albeit at a much slower acceleration rate than 100.

Ah! I hadn't looked at the full range. I did a quick play with a 7, and noted a more relaxed feel, but it was hardly a proper test. When the ball starts really moving at the pre-set levels, it starts to seem weightless as it bounces off of the rubber...

tripleplonq

Dec 3, 2012
'Playfield Degree' is probably just a bad label. It should say playfield tilt or something.

The settings also yield different results across the tables.
I found one setting for Locomotion (0,0,34,100,0) that feels OK on that table, but on other tables it's still too fast. (I first thought I may have adapted to the very slow iPad1 gameplay of v1.1, but I still think it's too fast on some tables, no matter what settings I use.)

It would be nice to extend the range of those sliders a bit.

DeeEff

Feb 28, 2013
The settings also yield different results across the tables.
I found one setting for Locomotion (0,0,34,100,0) that feels OK on that table, but on other tables it's still too fast. (I first thought I may have adapted to the very slow iPad1 gameplay of v1.1, but I still think it's too fast on some tables, no matter what settings I use.)

It would be nice to extend the range of those sliders a bit.

I've been running (25,0,33,100,0) for the last hour on all tables and am happy with the way the ball's handling (as happy as I can be without a tap nudge, that is ;^) And the physics settings seems to behave the same on all tables for me.

Once I get the tables down I'll probably speed it up by reducing friction; increasing the playfield angle much more makes the ball feel like a rock. Once I have that under control I'll mess with the bumpers. I do like all the options; each has a noticeable effect.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.