Zen Pinball - Star Wars

Chellspecker

Apr 20, 2013
Ok , if your wondering, Zen has separated StarWars Zen Pinball 3 pack into it's own installation , this is no doubt due to Disney now owning StarWars and to track sales and royalties for StarWars Pinball easier?
Who knows , why really? But the good news is previous buyers may download the new stand alone version free of charge.

On which platform can you download the standalone Star Wars Pinball for free? I've purchased all the tables as in-app-purchases in Zen Pinball for iOS, but wouldn't mind having the standalone, especially if tables are released on it that aren't going to be in Zen, like they did with Marvel. It's so confusing. It would be nice if they could just put all their tables in one app. That's one thing TPA has done a decent job of, is the subscription model with new table added via the primary app portal. Either that, or just release each table as a separate app which the buyer can organize into a folder. The overlap drives me crazy. Now I have Marvel with two tables: Spiderman and a second copy of the Avengers, and Zen with all the other Marvel tables plus the Star Wars ones. And now they come out with Star Wars Pinball? Good grief.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
On which platform can you download the standalone Star Wars Pinball for free? I've purchased all the tables as in-app-purchases in Zen Pinball for iOS, but wouldn't mind having the standalone, especially if tables are released on it that aren't going to be in Zen, like they did with Marvel. It's so confusing. It would be nice if they could just put all their tables in one app. That's one thing TPA has done a decent job of, is the subscription model with new table added via the primary app portal. Either that, or just release each table as a separate app which the buyer can organize into a folder. The overlap drives me crazy. Now I have Marvel with two tables: Spiderman and a second copy of the Avengers, and Zen with all the other Marvel tables plus the Star Wars ones. And now they come out with Star Wars Pinball? Good grief.

Wait, on one hand you're asking for the stand alone game, but on the other complaining that they should all just be one app? Which do you want?! Hehe. So Zen is merely covering as large a purchasing market as they can. Many people have no clue about Zen pinball, but they search Star Wars to see what's available, and wham, lookee there. Same thing with Marvel. Those are brands that the general public is way more aware of. The plus is, if you bought it separately, you automatically get it in the whole Zen package, should they discover that eventually. The weird one was Star Wars, which came out as it's own thing after the fact. Zen made that available for free though to those that already purchased, as they added the whole 'light and dark side' element of team scoring to the game.

There's a real simple solution for you though...just delete the individual releases from your device and only play through the core Zen platform.

N

netizen

There's a real simple solution for you though...just delete the individual releases from your device and only play through the core Zen platform.

Except that the Marvel Standalone app is the only way to get the Spiderman table. If you're a completinonist this is the sore thumb of the bunch.

With the Star Wars standalone there is all likelihood that Zen will make an exclusive table that isn't a part of the core zen platform.

shogun00

Dec 25, 2012
The weird one was Star Wars, which came out as it's own thing after the fact. Zen made that available for free though to those that already purchased, as they added the whole 'light and dark side' element of team scoring to the game.
That's only on the PS3/Vita version thanks to Sony's Cross-Buy feature. On iOS and Andriod, you have to pay twice.

Except that the Marvel Standalone app is the only way to get the Spiderman table. If you're a completinonist this is the sore thumb of the bunch.

With the Star Wars standalone there is all likelihood that Zen will make an exclusive table that isn't a part of the core zen platform.
That won't happen for the Star Wars tables. Zen has confirmed many times now that the 10 tables will be available on both platforms.

Spider-Man had some licensing issues, since they have to deal with multiple licenses (Marvel doesn't own it completely) and one of the licensor's was being a bit stingy. Zen found a loophole as long as it was under the "Marvel Pinball" label, they can release it on the iOS and Android.

Last edited:

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013

I've seen the Zen forum moderators state several times that this won't happen, and that all star wars tables will be available within the main app as well as the standalone.

N

netizen

And i'm sure that before Zen was available on Mobile there were assurances that it wouldn't be parted out into a double dipping application as well.

The issue surrounding the license rings rather hollow, as if it were a licensing issue then why wasn't the FX2 forced to split into a Marvel Pinball standalone version to house Spiderman separately on all platforms. It is just on the Mobile ones where the freemium and IAP models have become so standard that developers have taken advantage of this.

Unfortunately Forum Moderators cannot predict the future actions of the company. IF/When Zen does do something that goes against these predictions it makes for bad forum relations. Just like the assurances that all the marvel tables would be released in the core app on the release of THD and HD.

Notice a pattern?

**** even on PC the license in question is a part of a pack that is a part of the Core FX 2 game itself.
This is why I have such a hard time buying that this isn't just another company using the power of their license's draw to double dip, because they can.

If it truly was all about the license then the Marvel standalone would be free or they would have made the one table you can't get the one that you have to pay for up front.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Whatever - Zen say its licencing issues, that's good enough for me.
I'm grateful they found a workaround.

Should Spiderman have been the bundled table with the pack - yes, but it cost me £0.69 to double dip buy Avengers, and Spiderman was only £1.20. A small bag of crisps (chips in usa) costs about 70p.
Am I upset - nope - I'm playing Spiderman.

shogun00

Dec 25, 2012
The issue surrounding the license rings rather hollow, as if it were a licensing issue then why wasn't the FX2 forced to split into a Marvel Pinball standalone version to house Spiderman separately on all platforms.
That's because when they made the license contract, it included the console versions of Pinball FX 2, Marvel Pinball and Zen Pinball 2. They didn't had phones/tables in mind when they made the table and the contract didn't cover it. They found a loop hole in the contract and that was how they were able to get it onto the iOS and Android.

Unfortunately Forum Moderators cannot predict the future actions of the company. IF/When Zen does do something that goes against these predictions it makes for bad forum relations. Just like the assurances that all the marvel tables would be released in the core app on the release of THD and HD.
Just an FYI, Zen doesn't have any forum moderators on their forum. There are actual two Zen employees that comb the forum. Solitude is actually one of the main managers.

Baramos

Aug 18, 2013
I have given this a try a couple of times, since it is now free for Playstation Plus members.

The star table is definitely Empire Strikes Back. The other two aren't very good in comparison. ESB is fairly entertaining, though having played a lot of Pinball Arcade, I find the physics very hard to get used to. They just don't seem right in this.

I dunno, I would never pay for this, but if you have a PS3 and have Playstation Plus, you can't beat the price.

DaPinballWizard

Apr 16, 2012
Not showing as free here. Guess it is time to delete the app again. Only reinstalled it to try Star Wars. Not seeing it. Only crappy Sorcerer.

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
Zen always gets me somehow. I say I'm never going to buy any more tables on iOS because I never really play them. Then at some point I end up purchasing, play once or twice then go back to TPA and never touch them again. I'm saying now that I'm not purchasing these new Star Wars but knowing myself I'll probably end up not being able to resist.

Sun Vulcan

Jun 28, 2012
SWP_Darth_Vader_table_screenshot008.jpg

SWP_Starfighter_Assault_table_screenshot005.jpg

SWP_Darth_Vader_table_screenshot009.jpg

SWP_Starfighter_Assault_table_screenshot011.jpg

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
I think this set could do with a bit more variety. The Darth Vader and Starfighter Assault tables both have the same colour themes. They maybe could have swapped one of the tables to the third pack. And looking at the playfield art for DV, it looks like 40% of the missions are from ROTJ. I would have liked to see a table based on a prequel movie, if only for variety. No doubt I will love the tables to bits, though, and I'm sure the rulesets will be very different between tables. I still play Boba Fett regularly. Hitting the balls onto the Slave I is so satisfying.

As an aside, who saw a Darth Vader table coming from a mile off? ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.