Round 5: Q&A With Bobby King: Answers

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
1.) In Round 2 of the Q&A, you said that the flipper physics update would probably start to be phased in around the September update. Can you give us any news about these advanced flipper physics? Also, in terms of general physics, when do you plan on updating the older tables to use the improved physics that you've implemented in the newer table releases?

We've done some work updating the flipper physics, but the major aspect of what we want to add is going to be a substantial change that will require a lot of re-tuning once we're happy with it.

Note that the ball going through the flippers on occasion is a frame rate issue. There's a chance that the planned physics improvement will increase the frequency of the ball going through the flippers when the physics update rate drops below 60 per sec (which is why the ball goes through the flippers now), so it's not a sure thing for it to be added on all mobile devices.

We have made an improvement to side flippers which are in TZ. I'll be going back and retuning all of the more vertically positioned flippers as I have time. For example, I retuned the upper left flipper on Black Hole and made several other Black Hole flipper improvements that will be in the next update.

2.) You also said in Round 2 that you envision a lighting slider on the Table Menu for day/night settings. This is one of the most requested features that we see brought up on the forum. Have you made any progress on this, and the lighting in general on the various platforms?

We don't have the tech on mobile devices to do this without at least quadrupling the number of textures per table which would make the size of a table download huge.

On console, we can start looking into this now that we have been training more artists to tune lighting. Adding this feature is not trivial. Altering the lighting involves changing many light sets. It's not just a global setting.

3.) In regards to The Twilight Zone and Star Trek: The Next Generation, are you still on track for the Kickstarter release date timeframes? Have any surprises come up while working on these tables or any interesting tidbits that you can share?

We are on schedule thanks to focusing on just one table for each of these updates. The development has gone well. There have been a couple surprises on the licensing side, but nothing that I can share.

We’re planning that the next release on consoles will be TZ. We’ll jump it ahead of the other packs that haven’t been released yet.

4.) Do you have ROM emulation in place for the early Bally SS tables (Centaur, Eight Ball Deluxe, Xenon, etc.)?

We have been advised not to ROM emulate anything pre-1985. Getting the timing emulation CPU synced with the platform CPU is problematic.

We plan to script the gameplay like we're doing for Big Shot.

5.) Are you considering adding more randomization or variation to certain table events (Kick-outs, for example)?

Yes, we will be improving variation at some point. It complicates the tuning more than you would think because not all the way kickouts are not 100% consistent now.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Thanks to Jeff & Bobby. I really dig these Q & A sessions.

The answer to question 4 is very interesting. I wonder if this will effect the number of early Bally SS tables we will see.

Last edited:

Fuseball

May 26, 2012
Well, regarding the non-emulation of pre-1985 games... I would request FS either spend more time getting the scripting right or not bother at all. I wouldn't be at all happy if Centaur or EBD were released as shoddily put together as BK.

On the plus side... at least we now know what to expect from future releases.

DarthVonDoom

Jun 13, 2012
I'm really glad we finaly have his answers and I really appreciate his honesty but I can't help but be slightly depressed with how much
negative and pessimist almost all his answers are. I'm still really looking forwad to Centaur but I'm going to lower my expectations.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Answer #2 stop neglecting consoles because of the lack of power of mobiles, TPA should be made for consoles then trickle down to mobiles.

night

May 18, 2012
About the lighting issues (question 2): I wonder if these issues are still problematic if FS went for pre-rendered tables instead of dynamic. I honestly don't give a thing about this hovering camera and 9 out of 10 times I play TPA with a steady cam, just like it would be in real life. I think a lot more would be possible on the graphic end if FS went for pre-rendered. Looking at the demo of 'Pro Pinball' the results could be absolutely amazing, does it justify the make graphic sacrifices just to have this hovering cam..?

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Answer #2 stop neglecting consoles because of the lack of power of mobiles, TPA should be made for consoles then trickle down to mobiles.

I agree with you 100%. I had concerns about portable platforms and devices limiting how precise FarSight could recreate these wonderful tables and now, Bobby has confirmed my worse fear for this project. I hate to say it, but I'm very disappointed with this decision.

EDIT : My post is mainly in response to Answer #4 which is very disheartening to me.

Last edited:

Fuseball

May 26, 2012
I personally never expected to see the day/night slider on iOS or Android. I expect any console focus is getting harder to justify when one of your two console platforms is currently off-limits too.

pseudokings

Jun 10, 2012
Sounds like not a ton of progress has really been made on anything other than new table development. Obviously new tables are at the top of everybody's 'want list', and they're what pays the bills, so no problem with that being the primary focus, but it would be nice to see more of this other stuff progressing. Hopefully they have also done a metric ton of little fixes.

Russell Bergman

Feb 29, 2012
Thanks Bobby and Jeff for the Q&A. Here's some food for thought for answer #4. For the next year or so, just concentrate on machines from 1985 on up, and after that two year period of time, I am sure FarSight will figure out the problematic CPU stuff that is making it somewhat difficult to program tables older than 1985 like Centaur, Solar Fire, Xenon, Embryon, etc...., and then we will open the floodgates to older machines I stated previously. I have a very good feeling it will happen!

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
A lot of food for thought this round. And yeah, time to separate what can be done on mobile from what can be done on platform.

Lord Boron

Apr 18, 2012
Just remember if they are going to concentrate on one platform over another, they're going to concentrate on the platform that has the most penetration. And as much as I like the console version, with the number of mobile devices, both iOS and Android, I think consoles would lose. Even I have to admit I play the iPad one more than the PS3 version for the simple reason that the iPad is always at my side. I would be interested to see the sales figure of mobile vs console. (Although that's probably not too likely).

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
So then by what your saying it doesnt matter how bad ass a gaming PC you have or your console is more powerful than any mobile FS should just pump out mobile game quality because thats the bread bringer? Consoles have to purchase both tables DLC as a pack, where as on a mobile you can be picky. FS needs to learn how to program on a PS3 as hard as that will be for those 360 fanboys.....REALITY CHECK!

pezpunk

Jul 29, 2012
So then by what your saying it doesnt matter how bad ass a gaming PC you have or your console is more powerful than any mobile FS should just pump out mobile game quality because thats the bread bringer? Consoles have to purchase both tables DLC as a pack, where as on a mobile you can be picky. FS needs to learn how to program on a PS3 as hard as that will be for those 360 fanboys.....REALITY CHECK!

this is kind of a silly argument. if most their money is made on mobile devices (and i suspect it is), then guess what they're going to focus the majority of their R&D on. simple math.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
Thanks Bobby and Jeff for the Q&A. Here's some food for thought for answer #4. For the next year or so, just concentrate on machines from 1985 on up, and after that two year period of time, I am sure FarSight will figure out the problematic CPU stuff that is making it somewhat difficult to program tables older than 1985 like Centaur, Solar Fire, Xenon, Embryon, etc...., and then we will open the floodgates to older machines I stated previously. I have a very good feeling it will happen!
That's what I've been saying since TPA started. Sadly, they've got a Genie, but maybe they can scrap all the rest after that.

Lord Boron

Apr 18, 2012

No, that's not what I'm getting at all. If they're going to put it out on the PS3, then they should absolutely make it as good as they possibly can for that platform. I'm mostly speaking at those that think they should mostly ignore the mobile platforms because they aren't important and focus everything on The consoles. Because realistically, from a business perspective, that's not going to happen. I love the PS3 version and definitely feel it needs improvements.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
I'll get that answerd. No need to "theorize and ASSume" Heres some MATH 4 U, why build the game on a console then focus on mobiles...how many $$$ man hours go into coverting to mobile? Mobiles are an after thought, although easily convertible to lesser hardware that is not the GOAL, unfortunately it seems FS is just doing a HD remix of PHOF WC & GC with some new liscences so FS has ALL previous renditions to pump out with some tweaks wich will look fine for a mobile but dedicated console gamers require more to be relevant in todays flooded APP market, and this is where TPA should shine, LITERALY! CHROME?

inspector42

May 27, 2012
I'd like some help decoding the flipper pass through comment. Does this mean that the ball was going to drain anyways, and the lapse in animation makes it look like the ball went through, or would the ball have been saved if the processing power was better?

Fuseball

May 26, 2012
That's what I've been saying since TPA started. Sadly, they've got a Genie, but maybe they can scrap all the rest after that.
With respect, you've been saying that simply because you don't like older games - not because of any technical issues.

FS do undoubtedly have the ability to produce scripted tables of a high standard - Gorgar, BH (with gate bug fixed), almost any PHOF table. However, I hope we never see something as inaccurate and rushed as BK on TPA again.

I have every confidence that the team there could produce an excellent and accurate scripted version of Centaur (for example) but it will take longer to get right than a rom emulated table, which does half the work for you. I would also suggest that beta testing of scripted tables be opened up to more people, as many of us have extensive experience of these games (I own a Centaur and a BK for example) and can spot any errors quickly and feedback to the team. Heck, if I didn't live on a different continent I'd offer to come and script Centaur for them! :)

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.