Round 5: Q&A With Bobby King: Answers

Chris Dunman

Apr 11, 2012
I can see the economic sense of focussing on mobile platforms from a potential customer base and quick revenue perspective.

I can also see the desire for polished console and PC versions trickling down to mobile platforms simply because then console / PC editions would be just wonderful to play.

As I'm not well versed in the ROM emulation / scripted argument could PW just explain briefly why he has concerns?

No critisism is intended PW, I just think a lot of people respect your opinion and if you're concerned, should we be?

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
To those console fans worried about their light slider, did you not read Bobby's response correctly? He said that work for consoles will be starting on this, so I don't understand why you're carrying on so much.

Therefore mobile platforms will not be "sacrificing the console experience" for your lighting needs. The stated fact is that it involves a lot more work to implement, regardless of the platform.

So putting it another way, it was not a priority given the current theory of development constraint the team was under.

Now people are on-boarded correctly regarding the techniques required, development on this can begin.

Let's all just get along and not blame other platforms for "holding back" anything. We all know enough about the development model Farsight uses to know this is a weak argument to use. Development, after all, is rendered for consoles first.

gsxrboy

Feb 21, 2012
Correct !

Not only that, but the limiting factor mentioned in his reply seems to be the space requirement (i.e. downloadability) of the tables being 4x larger. That would take up lots of valuable storage space and push them (likely) above the (in iOS case, don't know about Android) the 50mb cellular size limit, which would be a bad idea.

Considering the iPad 3/4 and the new Nexus 10 run hugely bigger resolutions than a 1080p PS3/360 game, the tables for those aren't exactly consoles versions "dumbed down" for mobile platforms. The speed that mobile platforms are improving shows they will over take the current console performance very very soon, if they haven't already in some regards. Even if a PS4/720 comes out tomorrow, they will have to have a 7-10 year life span (to justify the development cost of the hardware) and what ever tech they have at launch, will have to stay that way for a long long time. Mobile tech isn't going to slow down any time soon.

lettuce

Mar 17, 2012
I think FS all along said that the lead platform was the Xbox 360!, which is ironic seeing all the issues the 360 is having at the moment. I should imagine FS would program for the 360 and then see what they can get away with on the iSO and Android devices and then tone down the gfx's as required to keep a constant frame rate....well thats what i hope they would do!?

Im disappointing to hear that not much progress has been made on the light slider as i feel this is an important feature!. I am in the camp that likes my tables dark that is why im really happy with the light level on the upcoming Twilight Zone table its just how the lighting is when i used to watch my father play pinball in the arcades when i was a child, every dark with the backglass lights shining on the table!, but alot of people seem to complain when the tables are dark, just took what happened to MM, that was perfect in the 2nd update and then it got updated again with a lighter playfield and now just doesnt look natural!

Also gutted about the emulation on pre 1985 tables, if there going to do these pre 1985 table scripted then do it right please!!

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
As I'm not well versed in the ROM emulation / scripted argument could PW just explain briefly why he has concerns?

No critisism is intended PW, I just think a lot of people respect your opinion and if you're concerned, should we be?

The original plan was to fully emulate all tables with the exception of EM tables. Now that FarSight is having trouble getting the timing emulation CPU synced with the platform CPU (which is more than likely only a problem on mobile platform and devices), they have decided not to ROM emulate any tables pre 1985 which tells me that they've pretty much given up on this and decided to go with scripting. The problem I have with scripting is that many of the light sequences on the tables are never scripted properly and take away from the table more than most people know if they've never had a chance to play the real table, not to mention the lack of the attract mode light sequences as well.

I hope that FarSight reconsiders this move and decides to ultimately ROM emulate pre 1985 tables (with the exception of EM tables) in the near future.

xNiCeGuYx

Apr 16, 2012
I don't want scripted tables, too!
Please FS don't rush with releasing all the pinball tables. Quality should be over quantity, we want fewer good made tables than two rushed ones every month.

Fuseball

May 26, 2012
The problem I have with scripting is that many of the light sequences on the tables are never scripted properly and take away from the table more than most people know if they've never had a chance to play the real table, not to mention the lack of the attract mode light sequences as well.
So true. BK loses so much of it's qualities without the light sequences. Multiball is genuinely thrilling on the real thing.

Russell Bergman

Feb 29, 2012
I'm not worried. FarSight will come up with solutions to overcome the technical difficulties of pre 1985 machines. Remember, computer technology advance significantly every 4-6 months. I can see myself playing Solar Fire, Embryon, and Centaur in 2014-15! !!!!

Chris Dunman

Apr 11, 2012
Aha, with you now PW. If the scripting is good enough though, won't that effectively be the same as emulation or am I missing the point?

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Aha, with you now PW. If the scripting is good enough though, won't that effectively be the same as emulation or am I missing the point?

To accurately script a table with every single scoring scenario, ROM sound and light sequence would be extremely time consuming and time is something FarSight doesn't have on their side with the two tables a month schedule they've committed themselves to. It would be in their best interest, and ours as well, to get all pre 1985 tables (sans EM tables) properly emulated.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
The original plan was to fully emulate all tables with the exception of EM tables. Now that FarSight is having trouble getting the timing emulation CPU synced with the platform CPU (which is more than likely only a problem on mobile platform and devices), they have decided not to ROM emulate any tables pre 1985 which tells me that they've pretty much given up on this and decided to go with scripting.
Echoing what everyone else is saying: Screw the damn phones!!!!!!!!! If they can get emulation working on consoles, they need to do it, and at least have a few versions not turn out so shoddy.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Riddle me this: How many tables have been released since 1985 to now? Is the world really going to end if some of the older tables can't be ROM emulated?

Laurence Merraine

May 14, 2012
Echoing what everyone else is saying: Screw the damn phones!!!!!!!!! If they can get emulation working on consoles, they need to do it, and at least have a few versions not turn out so shoddy.

Actually I don't think they need to do anything they don't want to do. Consoles are expanding into multimedia etc as people don't need consoles to play games anymore.

I have both Xbox and ps3 and as much I have the options I still have only bought the tables on iOS, as I can play them anywhere. I can't do that on the Xbox or ps3.

I would say that volume of sales would be higher on the mobiles than either consoles. It would make commercial sense to focus on where the money is. They are having issues with both the ps3 and Xbox releases, more so than iOS which is still higher than the android.

ericb

Nov 20, 2012
Riddle me this: How many tables have been released since 1985 to now? Is the world really going to end if some of the older tables can't be ROM emulated?

Life will surely go on. I'm not sure where the sense of entitlement came from, but it seems to be contagious. Good luck finding a physical table in perfect working condition with the ability to play any time you wish for only $2.50.

TPA is really cool, I love it, but it's not vital to one's well-being.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
I would love it if they just refused to do any table made before 1985. Those who are fans of Centaur, Xenon, EBD, and others, just remember - a shoddy port of a good table = crappy table. This is all moot anyway, since the world's ending on Dec. 21st, no matter what we do.

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts