Cactus Canyon and Central park are Available NOW!! PSN NA

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Only crazy people want glass. : P

Well then, call me #%$&ing NUTS then because I want glass with realistic reflections!

It's actually a very important part of a pinball machine when you think of it.
In fact I'd rather see Farsight delete a of the fake screws and other unimportant things rather than have no glass.

Oh and I also want to hear the CLACK! when the ball hits the glass.
That's one of the most satisfying parts of pinball. Especially when you don't own said machine. ;)

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
Well then, call me #%$&ing NUTS then because I want glass with realistic reflections!

It's actually a very important part of a pinball machine when you think of it.
In fact I'd rather see Farsight delete a of the fake screws and other unimportant things rather than have no glass.

Oh and I also want to hear the CLACK! when the ball hits the glass.
That's one of the most satisfying parts of pinball. Especially when you don't own said machine. ;)

Some people with real machines take the glass off for special occasions so that they can play with zero reflections. If pinball machine manufacturers could get glass for a reasonable price that had zero reflections, they would. Glass is an evil necessity on a real table. It keeps the machine cleaner and keeps people from cheating and abusing the table. Its not needed on a digital table.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
But coin slots are?

Well, I guess they aren't, but they are aesthetically pleasing to the program, and they don't hinder gameplay. I guess one could find the glass aesthetically pleasing as well, but as in the real machines, sometimes the reflections do hinder gameplay. Of course, FS would never make the reflections to be annoying, and I rather liked the effect in PHOF, but when it came down to it, I always turned that function off.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
Yeah like Fungi I turned it off in PHoF, because it made gameplay harder on the eyes. I don't notice it on real machines unless the room is dark, in which case illuminated backglass reflections stand out, which are pretty but still distracting/obscuring. I fully support Jersey Jack's Invisiglass! : D

Anyway while you're apparently willing to sacrifice playfield detail for glass, I think you're probably in the minority on that; in any case, I'm glad they decided in favor of playfield detail.

Maybe you could just tape a sheet of glass over your TV screen.

I wouldn't mind if they added the CLACK, mind you--I just played a Black Hole with a chipped flipper that tended to ricochet the ball off the glass from a solid hit--THACK! THWACK! I liked to imagine my repeated play of that table was causing the owners to stew in their not-repairing-everything juices. ; )

Last edited:

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
I doubt there's many people at all that would want the glass reflection effect in the way of the playfield detail.

If FS ever did add a glass effect I hope they would only do it as an option. Actually it could fit in well with Pro Mode, which is light on features right now. It would be another thing I wouldn't want to bother with on most tables and would only mess with for a few minutes if it was available. So it fits right in with the other pro-mode features to me.

I also second the comments about glass on real tables. Usually it makes things hard to see either because of reflections or smudges but it is sort of necessary for the integrity of the game.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
But coin slots are what?

"...needed on a digital table"

I really don't think it was sacrifice any table details.
They certainly aren't pushing the limits of the PS3 with this stuff.

They handled it well with the Williams Collection.
I didn't have reflections on all the time, but it was interesting to turn it on for a few plays and then try it off. Probably similar to what I would do if I owned the real thing....and isn't that sort of what they are doing with this?

Anyway, like stereoscopic 3D, it could be toggled off, so everyone would be happy.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
I doubt there's many people at all that would want the glass reflection effect in the way of the playfield detail.

If FS ever did add a glass effect I hope they would only do it as an option. Actually it could fit in well with Pro Mode, which is light on features right now. It would be another thing I wouldn't want to bother with on most tables and would only mess with for a few minutes if it was available. So it fits right in with the other pro-mode features to me.

I also second the comments about glass on real tables. Usually it makes things hard to see either because of reflections or smudges but it is sort of necessary for the integrity of the game.

Farsight has done it. Just check out videos of The Williams or Gotlieb Pinball Hall of Fame collections.
And yes they is an option to turn it on or off during a game.

I wouldn't be paying $4 for it though.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
On a real pin its really loud without glass. Im almost suprised by how much the glass insulates the noise.
Yeah PHOF had the glass option. Enough with charging for options dam!

sotnwaffle

Apr 13, 2012
I'd like CC more if it didn't seem to have the same kind of bug that Attack from Mars has with balls sometimes abruptly changing their direction toward between the flippers after leaving an orbit. Not that I don't play it a lot regardless.

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
Farsight has done it. Just check out videos of The Williams or Gotlieb Pinball Hall of Fame collections.
And yes they is an option to turn it on or off during a game.

I wouldn't be paying $4 for it though.

I was talking about them adding it to Pinball Arcade. I saw it in the old Williams PHoF game (and the video you kindly posted from Gottlieb). Even though it was subtle in PHoF, I turned it off pretty quickly when the option was there, and I definitely wouldn't be paying extra for it in TPA either.

On a real pin its really loud without glass. Im almost suprised by how much the glass insulates the noise.
Yeah PHOF had the glass option. Enough with charging for options dam!

I think you're misunderstanding my sentiment. What I meant was not that FS should be charging be charging for options, but rather that since they already are charging for options they should try to make what they're charging for worth the money. Adding something like the glass reflection option (or better yet custom difficulty settings) to that light-on-content package could help make it appear a little more worthwhile. That would also give FS some justification for taking the time to add it. I'm just looking at it from a business perspective.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
I couldn't even remember the reflection setting in PHoF Williams so I popped in the disc yesterday. The effect is so subtle that its not even noticeable during play. Seems like it would be a big waste of time to me.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Does anyone else find the outlanes in Cactus Canyon really unforgiving??
It's bad enough that you can't see the right lane, but it seems to drain at a 75:25 percentage.

Also, what camera angle do you guys like on CC? I can't seem to find one that looks right.
I also have this problem with Attack From Mars and Twilight Zone as well.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
Does anyone else find the outlanes in Cactus Canyon really unforgiving??
It's bad enough that you can't see the right lane, but it seems to drain at a 75:25 percentage.

Also, what camera angle do you guys like on CC? I can't seem to find one that looks right.
I also have this problem with Attack From Mars and Twilight Zone as well.

I think my high score on this is like 20 mil or less. The balls go down the outlanes quicker than I can react. They also go SDtM off a sling too quick to see. The best angle to see where everything is is the "five year old" angle over the flippers. But that's the worst for quick reactions. I wish we could set the stuff covering the outlanes to be semi transparent.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
For all the tables I'm using either view 2 or 3, usually a fixed camera too.

The fixed camera is nice for a large display, but you lose out on some of the upper playfield bonuses by doing so.

I give up on Cactus Canyon.
The right outlane is infuriating!

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.