Controller support for Android?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
What is the best way to hook up a tablet to a TV? I have the Nexus 7 2013, and heard it supports the SlimPort adapter. Is this all I need?

If you are running stock Rom and kernel, this is all you need. Modified kernels don't usually have SlimPort modules baked in, as the modules are proprietary licensed code.

MontanaFrank

Dec 19, 2012
Thanks for the Moga support Ryan.

My heart goes out to you jaredmorgs, you wanted controller support as much as I. I sure hope a Moga Pro comes your way ASAP.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
In app controller mode A - flippers on shoulder buttons L1/R1 works beautifully, lag free, with analogue nudging, and multiple simultaneous inputs. Awesome!
I've no reason to remain rooted now. 'Sixaxis' is no longer required.

Thanks Ryan.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I am looking into A mode now, its very proprietary but I think I can make it work, hmmm

You'd give me an early Christmas present and save me about $80 if you can roll it in, Ryan.

Just tried another Moga app to test whether it was me. Game works perfectly.

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
so I got A mode working, let me clean up a few things and post an APK, I am hoping that your button mapping is the same.

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
Ok, if I understand the docs right the shoulder buttons are the same mapping you just don't have the triggers. Try this. It's not perfect but its starting to snow here so I gotta get home. Plunge and nudge works (though for some reason the nudge right is doing the magna save thing) and the shoulder buttons do the triggers. Not sure if the others are mapped correctly yet but that will give you something to test.

http://androidfiles.pinballarcade.com/beta/AndroidPinballActivity_20e.apk

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Ok, if I understand the docs right the shoulder buttons are the same mapping you just don't have the triggers. Try this. It's not perfect but its starting to snow here so I gotta get home. Plunge and nudge works (though for some reason the nudge right is doing the magna save thing) and the shoulder buttons do the triggers. Not sure if the others are mapped correctly yet but that will give you something to test.

Thanks SO much for this Ryan. Will test very shortly. Now get back home!

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012

So these are the results for the MOGA POCKET.

=Standard Controls - Moga Pocket (Mode A)=

Left flipper = left trigger
Right flipper = right trigger

Launch ball/plunge = right analog stick down

Analog Tilt = left analog stick (works great btw)

View lock = X button

=Table-specific Quirks=

Black Knight: Right tilt causes both magna saves to trigger (could this be to do with the scripting behind this table, and it being the only game that has two extra cabinet buttons).

Attack From Mars: Right Analog Stick "down" launches ball (this is intuitive enough seeing as though analog down is plunge) ;).

Enter initials interface (all games): Red "select" button on-screen is mapped to Right Analog Stick Down. Flippers behave as you would expect and advance the letter selection.

=Suggestions=

Some of these may be relevant to when/if you enable menu navigation in-app, but many apply to using controls in a logical fashion on the Moga Pocket.

!!Note!!

With the extra buttons on the Moga Pro, mapping magna saves to X and B buttons should not be changed as part of the main scheme, Ryan.

X = Black Knight Left Magna Save
B = Black Knight Right Magna Save / Solenoid Launch Ball Button
Y = View Change (long press to lock view)
A = Default Menu Choice (such as Continue after game over).

Start (overload this button with multiple functions depending on game state):
- Starts the game in Table Flyover mode.
- Pauses the game in Gameplay mode.
- Confirms the table from the table select menu (interchangable with "A" if this is chosen as above).
- Enters the initial on the score input screen (just like a real table).

Select = Could be a default "escape back one screen" when you work out how to put in menu navigation mode. Alternatively you could map Select to "View Select" and

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
You mean shoulder buttons right? Well not bad for a last minute change =) As always thanks for the feedback!

Yep, for a last minute change, you pretty much nailed it!
Yep, shoulder buttons. The pocket only had two digital shoulder buttons.

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
I'll be damned, the B mode version works for the Shield too. Anyone know anyone that has one of those?

N

netizen

I'll be damned, the B mode version works for the Shield too. Anyone know anyone that has one of those?

There were a few members posting about their shield experience.
Am I making things in my head, or is there a noticeable difference in flipper strength when you use L1/R1 vs L2/R2?

For the Moga Pro mode A, it'd be consistent if it was possible to keep the same/similar button config as the PC/Console versions.
Flippers/Magna Save: interchangeable between L1/R1 and L2/R2
Left Stick: Nudge
R Stick: Plunge
Start: Pause
A: Select + trigger/Plunge button
B: Back
Y: Change Camera View
X: lock Camera View
D-Pad: navigate menus
Enter intials: assigned flippers keys

Select: add credit/machine start button(?) for buy ins or to add player after pressing play(?) Just trying to think of future requests and slip one in :D

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
There were a few members posting about their shield experience.
Am I making things in my head, or is there a noticeable difference in flipper strength when you use L1/R1 vs L2/R2?

For the Moga Pro mode A, it'd be consistent if it was possible to keep the same/similar button config as the PC/Console versions.
Flippers/Magna Save: interchangeable between L1/R1 and L2/R2
Left Stick: Nudge
R Stick: Plunge
Start: Pause
A: Select + trigger/Plunge button
B: Back
Y: Change Camera View
X: lock Camera View
D-Pad: navigate menus
Enter intials: assigned flippers keys

Select: add credit/machine start button(?) for buy ins or to add player after pressing play(?) Just trying to think of future requests and slip one in :D

I think its in your head =)

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Since Ryan - added Moga Pro Support (pack 20 beta and release apk forward of that).
I've found that if your rooted, and connect a PS3 Dualshock controller wirelessly through the 'Sixaxis' app as a 'native controller', it has all the same functionality as the Moga (ie analogue nudge & plunge and other buttons). This is with Stock JB 4.3 rooted.

Might be useful for anyone without a Moga Pro - or a cheaper alternative purchase for anyone in Australia Jaredmorgs.

This should probably work for an un-rooted user if they plug a Dualshock via USB/OTG adapter and a usb cable. This method wouldn't require Sixaxis.

Nice one Ryan.

I'll have to check wiimote + classic controller through usb/bt gold and find out if that works also.

Last edited:

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Since Ryan - added Moga Pro Support (pack 20 beta and release apk forward of that).
I've found that if your rooted, and connect a PS3 Dualshock controller wirelessly through the 'Sixaxis' app as a 'native controller', it has all the same functionality as the Moga (ie analogue nudge & plunge and other buttons). This is with Stock JB 4.3 rooted.

Might be useful for anyone without a Moga Pro - or a cheaper alternative purchase for anyone in Australia Jaredmorgs.

This should probably work for an un-rooted user if they plug a Dualshock via USB/OTG adapter and a usb cable. This method wouldn't require Sixaxis.

Nice one Ryan.

I'll have to check wiimote + classic controller through usb/bt gold and find out if that works also.

Nice idea there Baron.

I don't know if I could do without the Moga native controller low latency input. It is noticeably quicker than USB/BT Joy Center 8.

Ryan did a pretty great first pass at getting Mode A bashed into the app after it went GA.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Nice idea there Baron.

I don't know if I could do without the Moga native controller low latency input. It is noticeably quicker than USB/BT Joy Center 8.

Ryan did a pretty great first pass at getting Mode A bashed into the app after it went GA.

Using the Dualshock through Sixaxis with Ryan's added controller support feels every bit as quick and responsive as using the Moga Pro, and I'm really sensitive to lag.
I was about to retire the Dualshock for the Moga due to analogue inputs, but since I found it works I'll keep using the Dualshock as the quality feels better than the Moga.
It's a lot quicker to connect the Dualshock also.... About 3secs as opposed to 30secs for Moga.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Using the Dualshock through Sixaxis with Ryan's added controller support feels every bit as quick and responsive as using the Moga Pro, and I'm really sensitive to lag.
I was about to retire the Dualshock for the Moga due to analogue inputs, but since I found it works I'll keep using the Dualshock as the quality feels better than the Moga.
It's a lot quicker to connect the Dualshock also.... About 3secs as opposed to 30secs for Moga.

On those recommendations, I might have to give the Dualshock a go. Get a 2nd hand one and it will be even cheaper!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.