PS3 NA Version 2.14 Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
Maybe you have to have all of the pro modes/ ball skins? Doing so makes the season 1 pro pack say "purchased" in the psn store.

MonkeyGrass

Jul 11, 2013
I don't know what they did to the lighting engine, but the performance improvements are noticable, for sure. Just ran at 1080 and it would appear that a lot, if not all, of the lag is gone. The ball lighting is completely different, much more visible at 1080 than the 720 I have been running at.

Firepower has a weird rosy "glow" on the ball that gives it a very darkened appearance. I think the ball is now going to be more keyed into each tables colors and light scheme, I am seeing pretty dramatic differences on the same ball from table to table. At least, that's how it appears over here. I took a bunch of pics but I don't have time to get em up and loaded here before I go teach. I'll try to post them later this evening so you can see what I'm seeing. What's strange is the "rosy glow" was on several tables until the restart, and now it appears limited to Firepower (at least in the 6-7 tables I've played thru so far) so I'm not sure if what we're seeing is a bug, a table-specific lighting effect, or something else entirely.

As for the new custom balls, I bought both full season 1 & 2 passes, no pro tables, and don't have them...

Last edited:

MarkItZeroSmoky

May 26, 2013
I'm thinking the custom balls have something to do with having purchased or earned the TZ & ST:TNG skins and the eyeball. Has anyone that purchased the skins have the new balls? Has anyone that earned the skins in the tournament have the new ones now? Its definetely not a season pass perk.

bob5453

Jul 23, 2013
I own all tables, I didn't have the extra balls, but the balls looked so great after this update that I went and bought the Star Trek ball package and the Twilight Zone ball package today and now I have all the balls pictured above to use in every table. They don't really tell you what you are getting in the ball packages on psn, but obviously you are getting a set of balls with each pack.

This was an awesome update, tables seem to look better and the ball choices are quite effective, same ball will look different on different tables, so experiment with them.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
no
I don't know what they did to the lighting engine, but the performance improvements are noticable, for sure. Just ran at 1080 and it would appear that a lot, if not all, of the lag is gone. The ball lighting is completely different, much more visible at 1080 than the 720 I have been running at.

Firepower has a weird rosy "glow" on the ball that gives it a very darkened appearance. I think the ball is now going to be more keyed into each tables colors and light scheme, I am seeing pretty dramatic differences on the same ball from table to table. At least, that's how it appears over here. I took a bunch of pics but I don't have time to get em up and loaded here before I go teach. I'll try to post them later this evening so you can see what I'm seeing. What's strange is the "rosy glow" was on several tables until the restart, and now it appears limited to Firepower (at least in the 6-7 tables I've played thru so far) so I'm not sure if what we're seeing is a bug, a table-specific lighting effect, or something else entirely.

As for the new custom balls, I bought both full season 1 & 2 passes, no pro tables, and don't have them...

We should try to tally up who got the extra balls and why.
I received them on the 2.14 update.

I bought tables 1-12, then season pack two. I also Kickstarted TZ, ST TNG, and T2, as well as a few tables for iOS.

Tann

Apr 3, 2013

Glad to here that. Thanks for your report. Switching to 720p to 1080i, I don't notice anymore the huge difference of responsiveness than before the patch.

Actually, the ball behavior is much better now in 1080i (better overall feeling) than in 720p.

At least, that's how it appears over here. I took a bunch of pics but I don't have time to get em up and loaded here before I go teach. I'll try to post them later this evening so you can see what I'm seeing. What's strange is the "rosy glow" was on several tables until the restart, and now it appears limited to Firepower (at least in the 6-7 tables I've played thru so far) so I'm not sure if what we're seeing is a bug, a table-specific lighting effect, or something else entirely.

Thanks for the upcoming pics. I will do the same if needed.

But to give an idea, for me, on all tables, the custom balls looks like the ones in PHoF : flat and dark.

It was way better before the patch. Not a big deal though, as I used only the red ball on Rbion. With the shiny effects, the ball looked like a fireball. Now, it looks like a dark red pasteboard ball.

Last edited:

Russell Bergman

Feb 29, 2012
Cool. It seems that they are each base on a different table. Let's see if anyone can help me fill in the blanks. Starting from the top left and moving right before going into the next row:

1. Theatre of Magic (the trunk)
2. Taxi
3. ?
4. Scared Stiff
5. Ripley's
6. ?
7. Monster Bash (Frankenstein's Monster)
8. Medieval Madness
9. Black Knight
10. Harley Davidson
11. Gorgar
12. No Good Gophers
13. Genie
14. Funhouse
15. Creature From the Black Lagoon
16. ?
17. Bride of Pinbot
18. ?
19. Big Shot
20. Attack From Mars

That leaves Totan, Black Hole, Cirqus Voltaire, and Elvira and the Party Monsters for the question marks. (Assuming these are all season 1 tables.

I think I can fill in the missing blanks, although I could be wrong on some.

3. White Water (water ball)
6. ? I am guessing Cactus Canyon. The design on half of the ball kinda looks like the apron on Cactus Canyon.
16. Cirqus Voltaire (it looks like Cirqus Voltaire lightning artwork)
18. Centaur ( I think this is just a cool "novelty" ball you can use with Centaur or Black Hole, which I tried and it works for me on Centaur and is a fun challenge on Black Hole!)

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Ok . when they gave TZ Kickstart backers all a Pro Mode table but not STTTNG backers , I did not complain . But if you're telling me because I bought every Season One table at full price and not the Season 1 pass that I don't get the Season 1 Ball set , then that's going too far , I paid more , and I deserve the set just as much as any Season Pass owner , more so as a early adopter.

Honestly though, you aren't missing much. Most of them are dull and dark. The only ones I would even consider using are the golf ball and the pool ball.
I really wish I could delete the rest of them. None of them come close to being as cool as the original silver ball or the eyeball.

shogun00

Dec 25, 2012
Yeah has anyone determined if these are part of a ball-pack, or just supposed to "be there"? I don't have them, but I have never bought any custom balls thru PSN. If I get all of these by purchasing a ball pack, I may just do that.
Confirmed! I just bought the two custom balls from the Store ($1.98 in all) and all of the other custom balls became available.

Note 1: I didn't win any tournament.
Note 2: I don't own a single Pro Table, just the regular versions.

Last edited:

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
I won the custom balls from placing #2 in the tournament...so I have to buy balls I already have?

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
Confirmed! I just bought the two custom balls from the Store ($1.98 in all) and all of the other custom balls became available.

Note 1: I didn't win any tournament.
Note 2: I don't own a single Pro Table, just the regular versions.

That makes sense, I did buy the custom balls long before this update came out. I bought all of the tables individually and only have one pro table (STTNG).

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
I got all the new balls with 2.14. I've won balls in a tournament, although actually I had already bought them (TZ and ST:TNG) a while back from the store.

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
I've gotten all the special balls but have never even entered a tournament. I have just the Twilight Zone porto mode that I got as a freebie and the TZ ball but that's it.

Kemetman72

Banned
Sep 12, 2012
There's 21 new balls I counted. Thanks FS! And now we have a yellow 1 billliards ball along with the 8 ball so I guess it is safe to assume we will be getting a billiards themed table in the future. Also the golf ball might indicate Tee'd Off in the near future as well. I bought both ball packs then then eyeball ball appeared and now with this update 21 new ones. I am in ball heaven!! Also thanks for bug fixes and improvements.

warh0g

Jan 3, 2013
Can't wait to get home tomorrow and test the game in 1080p again :) anyone noticed if the multiball collisions have been updated also, like it is on iOS?

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
There's 21 new balls I counted. Thanks FS! And now we have a yellow 1 billliards ball along with the 8 ball so I guess it is safe to assume we will be getting a billiards themed table in the future. Also the golf ball might indicate Tee'd Off in the near future as well. I bought both ball packs then then eyeball ball appeared and now with this update 21 new ones. I am in ball heaven!! Also thanks for bug fixes and improvements.

I think the "8" ball was just an alternative ball they added not in reference to any specific table. I think the yellow "1" ball is specifically for Big Shot. The "8" ball was in there as an alternate before they added the table specific balls.

MonkeyGrass

Jul 11, 2013
OK so here are some pictures of the ball weirdness.

Strangely enough, it did it again, but only on Firepower when I switched to 1080 for the first time. A subsequent exit and re-launch cleared it up, and I haven't seen it since.

So I am definitely going to put this in the "Bug" category. It's gone now for me, but it showed up three different times. Here's what I'm talking about:

First & Third launch of game after the update. This shot is RBioN I believe, from when it was doing it all across the game. Ball looks like this on every game the first time, and only on FP the following times:

2013-07-23+14.13.36.jpg

On following re-launch, it looks like this:

2013-07-24+00.07.43.jpg

Come back later that night, and get this on initial game launch:

2013-07-23+14.09.22.jpg

Tann, I think these are the "dark" balls with no lighting you are seeing on your end? This happens when the other ball turns pink. I think what we're seeing is an alpha or transparency channel that is not being overlaid properly.

2013-07-23+14.11.03.jpg

Later that evening, another exit/re-launch and all my balls are shiny again. Haven't seen the issue since.

Let me know if this lines up at all with what you are seeing, Tann. Mine is all cleared up after a couple reboots.

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
Tann, I think these are the "dark" balls with no lighting you are seeing on your end? This happens when the other ball turns pink. I think what we're seeing is an alpha or transparency channel that is not being overlaid properly.

Later that evening, another exit/re-launch and all my balls are shiny again. Haven't seen the issue since.

Let me know if this lines up at all with what you are seeing, Tann. Mine is all cleared up after a couple reboots.

First, thank you for the pics.

I didn't encounter this weird pink "glow" using the "zebra" ball (tested on Funhouse, because I don't own Firepower).

Concerning the dark ball, yes, this is it, but even a little more darker (on FunHouse and Rbion, I think it depends of the table). Reboot the game doesn't change anything, and moreover, it messes up the regular ball each time (as I start a game with a custom ball).

I will take pics tonight, in order to compare.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts