A new app on the way from Stern and Farsight

squezey

Sep 18, 2015
I can understand a separate app for Stern tables at this point even if I don't exactly like the idea but my only hope is that they just take their time with it and crank out some quality work instead a of a rushed sea of buggy Stern tables just because so many people want them so badly. Would gladly pay for it if it's done right. We also have no further news at the moment so all we can really do is just wait for more word from Farsight on how the future in terms of Stern tables is looking.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I seriously hope/pray we will be able to buy the tables outright - whatever the cost - although I think they should keep the price point reasonable so they don't dissuade the casual audience. I am dreading the thought of another (failed) token system - that would just suck the enjoyment out of this amazing announcement.

A token system would drop my enthusiasm for this greatly. Fingers crossed it doesn't go down that road.

Wouldn't it be great if it launched with a 4 table pack. My head might explode if that happened.

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I've heard from FarSight. There's very little they can talk about yet. That's why Stern is the one making announcements. This isn't FS dropping the ball, so they'll talk when they can. So feel free to speculate, share hopes and dreams, but let's back off of disparaging business practices as this is much bigger than anything we've seen before.

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
I've heard from FarSight. There's very little they can talk about yet. That's why Stern is the one making announcements. This isn't FS dropping the ball, so they'll talk when they can. So feel free to speculate, share hopes and dreams, but let's back off of disparaging business practices as this is much bigger than anything we've seen before.

This sounds exciting! :)
On another note, maybe Stern took a look at Farsight's PR track record and thought that maybe they ought to take point on this one....
I'll have to add though that I'm very happy with reponses the last few months by Farsight employees on this forum and via PM's, like FlippyFloppy and RSchwantner. But that was a long time coming....

The Night Flier

Jun 10, 2014
A token system would drop my enthusiasm for this greatly. Fingers crossed it doesn't go down that road.

Tokens would be the beginning of the end.

This Stern deal makes one wonder whether Season 5 is the final season of TPA and that the TPA app will end once the Stern app begins?

karl

May 10, 2012
I don't see a problem with Farsight having two apps at the same time. There is no way this Stern app will give us a new table every month.

I am hoping that there will at least be two or more tables for the base app when it is released, though.

The big question now is when is this thing gonna be released :p Stern is not in the habit of leaking info too early so we could see this happen this fall (I can dream at least)

I see that posters here and on pinside almost demand that this app must be out on pc and consoles at launch.

I would love for that to happen, but I am afraid it will take much, much longer for the app to be ready for other platforms than mobile and I
have a sneaking feeling that Stern might not even want this to come out on other platforms.

I would love to be wrong but I am not setting my hopes to high.

No matter how this is done, it will still be great. Playing new Stern tables on pc with dx11 etc, is almost to good to be true anyway.

What we need now is more info, quickly, or the speculation and wishes might be just impossible to match when it is released :)

Last edited:

francis247uk

Jul 7, 2012
Amazing news - SO much to speculate over!

Is the app going to be brand new and built from the ground up to utilise newer technologies that weren't around when PA was built (my preference) or will it in essence be a "Stern Branded" TPA, and if so, does that mean that Farsight have the ability to emulate newer table technologies?

If it comes out on PC, will cabinet mode be supported?
Will original artwork files, table ROM files & sounds from Stern be supplied to Farsight, or will they send them a table to breakdown? Or just allow them onsite at manufacture?

Will it be for new Stern tables or older ones too, and if so, how far will they go back license wise?

How much will it cost? How often will tables be released?
Would Stern consider buying Farsight? Will Pinball Arcade take a backseat as a result of this new app? Are Farsight going to split the core staff to work on each separately?

In fact, the more I think about it, the more I think Stern would want them eventually focusing on Stern tables only - pretty sure that having digital recreations of tables increases their real world value, and I'm sure this would be what Stern wants.

Wonder how much control Farsight will have on the product, and how much Stern dictate what there'll be doing.

Overall I think this can only be a good thing (hopefully no more TSPP/LOTR/Spiderman kickstarters?) but will be a real shame if season 5 is the end and we don't get any classic tables for the forseeable future.

Whatever happens, I'm backing the Farsight & Stern colaboration all the way, great news for the future of virtual pinball.

(Hope we also get a Stern Pinball Arcade Fans webpage! :))

Last edited:

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
One of the big reasons it's a new app is so they can drop support for devices incapable of emulating SAM. This is confirmed.

invitro

May 4, 2012
This Stern deal makes one wonder whether Season 5 is the final season of TPA and that the Stern/TPA app will end once the Stern app begins?
I don't see any reason to continue TPA once they start churning out Stern/Sega/DE tables. There are no unlicensed WMS/Bally/Gottlieb tables that have a chance of matching the sales of the DMD Stern/Sega/DE licensed tables. So unless Farsight can't make one Stern/Sega/DE a month, I'm guessing TPA will end when the Stern/TPA app begins.

pm1109

Dec 18, 2013
Tokens would be the beginning of the end.

This Stern deal makes one wonder whether Season 5 is the final season of TPA and that the TPA app will end once the Stern app begins?

Didn't King confirm that there would be up to season 6 at least.Still a lot of non stern tables they can digitise.Hey what about Doctor Who :p

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts