Alien Crush and other early video pinball games

DJ Clae

Jun 17, 2012
To be honest, Zen Pinball, with its subdued sound and fantasy tables that try to be life-like bore me to tears. Alien Crush, Devil's Crush and Jaki Crush are the way video pinball should be done. In those games there are a wealth of objectives and moving targets that make no attempt to replicate the realistic pinball experience. This is the way video pinball is meant to be. It's a Japanese take on an American invention. For real tables, give me The Pinball Arcade. For video pinball, it's still the Crush series all the way. The series has aged well.

SpiffyRob

May 5, 2012
Wow, thanks to everyone for pointing me to the Crush series. I never had a TG-16, or knew anyone who did, so I'd never even heard of these. They are great fun!

Brian Clark

Feb 28, 2012
To be honest, Zen Pinball, with its subdued sound and fantasy tables that try to be life-like bore me to tears. Alien Crush, Devil's Crush and Jaki Crush are the way video pinball should be done. In those games there are a wealth of objectives and moving targets that make no attempt to replicate the realistic pinball experience. This is the way video pinball is meant to be. It's a Japanese take on an American invention. For real tables, give me The Pinball Arcade. For video pinball, it's still the Crush series all the way. The series has aged well.

I also like HAL's pinball games, especially Revenge of the Gator and Kirby's Pinball Land. I miss the games with multi-tiered boards. I like Pinball FX2, Metroid Prime Pinball, and Pokemon pinball, but I miss the style of the Crush games and HAL's pinball games (a couple of which probably had a huge influnce on the Crush series. It was mentioned in interviews with Iwata that HAL made Nintendo's NES Pinball too).

Zeether

Sep 22, 2012
Did anyone ever play or hear of a Saturn pinball game called Fantastic Pinball? It's from the same devs who worked on Devil's Crush MD and it has this cutesy anime aesthetic but the game plays like Devil's Crush and has some fun little bonus stages.

Lord Boron

Apr 18, 2012
Shout out for Pinball of the Dead on the Gameboy Advanced. Had a lot of fun with that one. Still have the cart. around somewhere.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
That was Dragon's Revenge, it was made by Tengen. I had it on my MD and it was enjoyable, but not in the same league as Devil Crash.

People always say this, but I have played both and MUCH prefer Devil Crash MD. I can understand the hate for Dragons Fury, the graphics are all butchered up and a lot of the appeal of the board is lost, but Devil Crash MD has far superior bonus stages to Devil Crush, and better music too. The port was handled by Technosoft which was on the best Genesis developers back in they day. You can even enter codes to listen to Thunder Force and Herzog Zwei music on that version.

Brian Clark

Feb 28, 2012
People always say this, but I have played both and MUCH prefer Devil Crash MD. I can understand the hate for Dragons Fury, the graphics are all butchered up and a lot of the appeal of the board is lost, but Devil Crash MD has far superior bonus stages to Devil Crush, and better music too. The port was handled by Technosoft which was on the best Genesis developers back in they day. You can even enter codes to listen to Thunder Force and Herzog Zwei music on that version.

This was the original post:

DopedToInfinity said:
That was Dragon's Revenge, it was made by Tengen. I had it on my MD and it was enjoyable, but not in the same league as Devil Crash.

There was no Dragon's Fury hate. Dragon's Revenge is the US made "sequel" done by Tengen rather than Compile (most likely the developers of the TG-16 version) or Technosoft (Genesis port). I only played a bit of it, but from videos and my impressions of the physics, so far, I agree that it's not in the same league as any version of Dragon's Fury/Devil Crash. However, it should be mentioned the US Dragon's Fury has a glitch where a ball can fall through the left gate on the bottom playfield when it is closed that isn't in the JP Devil Crash MD version.

Video of Dragon's Revenge on a JP MD. Odd how a US made game that is an unofficial sequel to Devil's Crush actually came out in Japan. The owner of the video seems to lack experience with pinball games (he mentions sonic spinball, doesn't mention the crush/crash games, and uses two flippers at once), but I thought it was interesting that it's played on a JP system and I wanted to show that the game has a JP version (though it has no differences from the US version).

Last edited:

jkonami

Apr 4, 2012
Did anyone ever play or hear of a Saturn pinball game called Fantastic Pinball? It's from the same devs who worked on Devil's Crush MD and it has this cutesy anime aesthetic but the game plays like Devil's Crush and has some fun little bonus stages.

I found out about this while looking up other video pinball games I hadn't played. I'm gonna try to pick it up one day and add it to my Saturn collection.

You guys ever hear of this one?

http://hardcoregaming101.net/paranoiascape/paranoiascape.htm

Doesn't necessarily look like a good game but definitely interesting.

xAzatothx

Sep 22, 2012
Devil Crush was excellent, crazy floaty physics but games could last ages. Played it last week actually. Was also a fan of Pinball Fantasies and Dreams on the Amiga. Pinball Arcade is the new champ now though :)

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.