Request Any chances to see more Stern tables in TPA?

DokkenRokken

Banned
Apr 7, 2014
- World Poker Tour
- Monopoly
- Rollercoaster Tycoon
- Wheel of Fortune

Those are my main Most Wanted Stern tables so far.

Dutch Pinball ball

May 5, 2012
Lol, that are my least wanted sterns.

Lotr
Spiderman
Batman
Bbh
Indy4

And off course the new ones like acdc, but those cant be emulated yet if i am correct.

pm1109

Dec 18, 2013
Simpsons Pinball Party
If that's the only Stern Table we see in Season 4 than I'll be happy

Enough Said

Captain B. Zarre

Apr 16, 2013
Simpsons Pinball Party
If that's the only Stern Table we see in Season 4 than I'll be happy

Enough Said

It is a pretty reasonable license and FS mentioned on their High Speed stream that they were interested in doing TSPP for their next Kickstarter after Addams Family.

pm1109

Dec 18, 2013
It is a pretty reasonable license and FS mentioned on their High Speed stream that they were interested in doing TSPP for their next Kickstarter after Addams Family.

I really hope you are right.Alot of the younger generation would love to play Simpsons and that in itself would bring in a lot more revenue for them

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
I really hope you are right.Alot of the younger generation would love to play Simpsons and that in itself would bring in a lot more revenue for them

Great game; I enjoy playing this game at the bowling alley every week I go bowling.

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
I'm not a huge fan of the newer Sterns for the most part because of all the plasticky toys. Having said that I played Avengers at the remaining HMV in Glasgow and it's not a bad machine - certainly better than the Zen Marvel table by the same name. The slingshots didn't seem to be working, but I managed a replay on my third ball so I was chuffed with that.

Zombie Aladdin

Mar 28, 2014
Does that mean you're not too fond of The Wizard of Oz, which was designed partially to have more of those plasticky toys?

Wow, how old does your generation have to be if you consider The Simpsons, a 20+ year old show and now struggling with the ratings, to be for younger generations?

I mean, The Simpsons is still a household name, and everybody knows who Homer, Bart, and the others are, but the show has long lost its center-of-popularity status. South Park and Family Guy are both bigger in the mainstream by a longshot, especially Family Guy.

soundwave106

Nov 6, 2013
I mean, The Simpsons is still a household name, and everybody knows who Homer, Bart, and the others are, but the show has long lost its center-of-popularity status. South Park and Family Guy are both bigger in the mainstream by a longshot, especially Family Guy.

I'd say South Park and Family Guy are a bit bigger than Simpsons too at the moment, but to be honest both of those shows are also pretty ancient (Family Guy is 15 years old, South Park 17). Ratings wise (Simpsons included) all are still are one of the more popular shows of each network, but the phenomenon definitely is down compared to when they started.

I think Simpsons is extremely relevant for the demographic that plays pinball at the very least (the other two are as well but Simpsons was *huge* just as pinball became big again).

It's hard to tell which show is relevant to the younger generation. The problem is there really hasn't been anything to challenge these adult cartoons (and the now-departed King of the Hill and Futurama) that has stuck around. Fox has tried a *lot*, and the only thing that has stuck that is sort of new is American Dad. There's the Adult Swim animation and related, which is definitely in the younger generation's interest. But a lot of that is *way* less mainstream.

Last edited:

Zombie Aladdin

Mar 28, 2014
Yeah, The Simpsons appeals to such a wide audience, from all walks of life. The only thing that seems comparable to it is The Beatles. However, I do feel that its days are numbered, considering for this most recent season, the writers agreed to take a pay cut because the time Troy McClure prophesized has come: The show would not be profitable otherwise. That's the state the show is in. The final episode, I believe, has already been planned.

There are two big reasons for the younger generation beig a lot more divided: The Internet and the fall of broadcast television. Both allowed the choices in what a viewer wants to see to proliferate, so audiences are now split between a huge variety of shows. In addition, there's been something of a shift in animated programming that's popular nowadays--the trend is now towards TV-Y, -Y7, and -G shows that appeal to older audiences, as the shame of watching shows intended for children is dying out. As far as adult programming goes, from what I gather, these are the animated shows that are seeing the most success in North America, at least as far as devoted fanbases go (alphabetical):
American Dad
Aqua Teen
Attack on Titan
Bleach (actually aimed at children in Japan)
Blue Exorcist
Bob's Burgers
The Boondocks
Family Guy
Fullmetal Alchemist (includes Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood; both have ended)
Naruto
Puella Magi Madoka Magica (ended)
Rick and Morty
Robot Chicken
Total Drama (is PG in Canada; edited for content in the US)
Ugly Americans
The Venture Bros.

But the REAL ratings winners are family-friendly shows. These are currently holding up the channels they're on and getting the 18-34 demographic every channel fights over (again, alphabetical):
Adventure Time
The Amazing World of Gumball
Avatar: The Last Airbender (ended)
Gravity Falls
Kim Possible (ended)
The Legend of Korra
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
One Piece
Phineas and Ferb
Regular Show
Sanjay and Craig
Star Wars: The Clone Wars (ended; now runs on Toonami)
Stephen Universe
Transformers Prime
Wander Over Yonder
Young Justice (ended)

In addition, Wow! Wow! Wubbsy, Thomas the Tank Engine, and Yo Gabba Gabba!, shows aimed at preschoolers, have also gained a sizable adult fanbase, as has The Muppets (as a franchise, though no Muppets shows are on currently), Sesame Street, and The Electric Company to a lesser extent. The Littlest Pet Shop (2012) was meant to capture the thunder of a certain other show, but it failed to get that audience and got a much smaller but incredibly stable fanbase instead. SpongeBob Squarepants and The Fairly OddParents are still going strong, but their fanbases are rather small and have mostly gone back to the children watching them as intended. Falling out of this audience in recent years have been Ben 10 (Ben 10 Omniverse fractured and destroyed it), Generator Rex (fanbase was small and could not gain enough steam), Thundercats (2012) and Sym-Bionic Titan (merchandising problems caused Cartoon Network to pull the plug on these shows). Bleach also seems to be on its twilight, as fans are getting impatient with its pacing problems, though there are enough casual fans to keep consistent seven-digit ratings whenever it airs. Soul Eater is on its waning phases at this very moment due to it having been off the air for a few months, leaving the devoted core fans. Same goes with Sword Art Online (despite its name, it's a TV show) unless a new season is greenlit.

On the opposite end, Kill la Kill, I would say, I'll predict to be a hit series on the anime scene in the west if it can get broadcast rights. I can also see no direction but up for Bravest Warriors, though it being a web series means zero marketing. I'm predicting some significant amount of fandom for Sonic Boom, but this is hard to predict because some publicity has been made about Dave Polsky as the head writer (who is a major writer for Friendship Is Magic), and mixing Sonic fans and bronies is rarely a good idea--it could unify them, but those two fanbases could just descend into war like they normally do and wipe each other out when it comes to the show. There is a Sailor Moon remake in production, which will have a guaranteed viewer base as the public is still very familiar with the franchise. I also see good things for Hunter x Hunter if it can make it on American airwaves. Finally, the DBZ franchise is returning to TV, once again, with Toonami getting airing rights to Dragon Ball Z Kai.

I don't know which of these shows you'd consider to be mainstream. However, a handful of them do have their own conventions (Avatar/Korra), and some even have their own convention circuits (Friendship Is Magic).

Last edited:

soundwave106

Nov 6, 2013
I don't know which of these shows you'd consider to be mainstream. However, a handful of them do have their own conventions (Avatar/Korra), and some even have their own convention circuits (Friendship Is Magic).

Yeah, it's hard to say. For the original adult stuff on Adult Swim, there was a Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie, and there was a Metalocalypse music tour; there are devoted fanbases for each. But I don't know how much of the general public knows about it. (The 2007 Aqua Teen promotion incident in Boston suggests not a lot.) There's also a pretty devoted fanbase to anime, but I imagine the same applies in that the general public (particularly older people) are not quite as aware. Things are more fractured these days.

You're right that the "most mainstream" in animated television is shows marketed for teens that have crossover audience appeal. Kim Possible, My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, and Adventure Time in particular are fairly big from my perspective (there's a few others in that list that are arguably just as big, but my "first impression" is these three stood out). None of these are The Simpsons level big, but it's the best you can hope for in this day and age on TV. "Mainstream" is sort of becoming a dated concept. :)

The most recognizable animation lies in film at the moment. It's easier for me to picture a Toy Story or Cars or Monsters pinball for instance, the appeal of many of the Pixar franchises is very broad.

Last edited:

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
I'm glad the Simpsons is being put to rest .

The first 8 seasons are Seinfeld level classic. And I think there was a "return to form" sometime in the last few years? I saw a rerun of an episode that lampooned Chris Angel and it was VERY reminiscent of early Simpsons quality and style. I loved it. Way better than the garbage they were spewing in the early-mid 2000s (and late 2000s? I avoided it like a plague because of the drop in quality).

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
On topic: I agree with you. If Stern wants to reach a new audience they should do that. However the collectors market is older and unfortunately wants boring crap like Mustang, and that's the customer they are most comfortable with unforutnely.

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
Does that mean you're not too fond of The Wizard of Oz, which was designed partially to have more of those plasticky toys?

Never seen it or played it so I can't say for sure. Generally speaking it feels like the quality of some of these machines isn't quite as good because the plasticky stuff dominates: Sterns Simpsons is an example.

Little accents are fine (e.g. Martians in Mars Attacks), but when the whole table feels like a Fisher-Price toy I think something is lost.

Zombie Aladdin

Mar 28, 2014
Yeah, it's hard to say. For the original adult stuff on Adult Swim, there was a Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie, and there was a Metalocalypse music tour; there are devoted fanbases for each. But I don't know how much of the general public knows about it. (The 2007 Aqua Teen promotion incident in Boston suggests not a lot.) There's also a pretty devoted fanbase to anime, but I imagine the same applies in that the general public (particularly older people) are not quite as aware. Things are more fractured these days.

You're right that the "most mainstream" in animated television is shows marketed for teens that have crossover audience appeal. Kim Possible, My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, and Adventure Time in particular are fairly big from my perspective (there's a few others in that list that are arguably just as big, but my "first impression" is these three stood out). None of these are The Simpsons level big, but it's the best you can hope for in this day and age on TV. "Mainstream" is sort of becoming a dated concept. :)

The most recognizable animation lies in film at the moment. It's easier for me to picture a Toy Story or Cars or Monsters pinball for instance, the appeal of many of the Pixar franchises is very broad.

Disney itself is back on the rise. Just look at the mega-hits of Tangled, Wreck-It Ralph, and especially Frozen. With Dreamworks, the Dragons franchise is going incredibly strong, and if you looked around on the Internet, you'd never know that Rise of the Guardians resulted in an $80+ million loss. (Jack Frost has a lot, and I mean a LOT, of fangirls.)

Pixar, however, is giving itself a break right now, as Cars 2 was panned and Monsters University, while good, was largely considered not up to Pixar's usual standards. I also personally found Brave to have a weak second act, but the movie has plenty of fans.

Metalocalypse is a rather minor one, but its fanbase is there and has stood the test of ratings. I think its peak has already passed though.

As for lack of mainstream awareness, this is because there are so many shows out there that one can watch (thanks to cable/satellite television, Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, and Amazon TV), and the Internet provides places for fans of these shows to gather. As a result, there is no need to have mainstream awareness for a show to be a success. Everyone is in their own separate fanbase, largely walled off from the other ones and from the mainstream at large.

The issue with picking these is that if you're aiming for the home market, you must pick your franchise carefully, or you will lose. All of the anime shows I listed above are out of the question, for instance, because the typical anime fan in North America is dirt-poor. They will be very willing to play on location, and a correctly placed machine would be a continuous revenue stream, but few can afford a new car even with the available payment options, a necessity of life, let alone a pinball machine. This is why Toyota's 2011 campaign involving Hatsune Miku fell flat (in addition to the weird redesign given to her to allegedly appeal to Americans more) in spite of the Mikunopolis concert selling out months in advance.

Never seen it or played it so I can't say for sure. Generally speaking it feels like the quality of some of these machines isn't quite as good because the plasticky stuff dominates: Sterns Simpsons is an example.

Little accents are fine (e.g. Martians in Mars Attacks), but when the whole table feels like a Fisher-Price toy I think something is lost.

I see. I remember reading about how Jack Guarnieri, a former Stern distributor, heard suggestions from his buyers that they wanted MORE toys on the playfield, and they were willing to pay more to have them. As a result, The Wizard of Oz is full of them, and by the looks of things, The Hobbit will have even more.

I'm glad the Simpsons is being put to rest .

The first 8 seasons are Seinfeld level classic. And I think there was a "return to form" sometime in the last few years? I saw a rerun of an episode that lampooned Chris Angel and it was VERY reminiscent of early Simpsons quality and style. I loved it. Way better than the garbage they were spewing in the early-mid 2000s (and late 2000s? I avoided it like a plague because of the drop in quality).

I haven't watched much of recent Simpsons, but what little I did watch, I quite enjoyed. I particularly liked "E Pluribus Wiggum," especially how it applies Ralph's simplemindedness to complex political issues.

By the way, it's spelled "Criss."

karl

May 10, 2012
Who cares how popular the Simpsons series is today. TSPP is one of the best and most unique pinball machines from Stern and that is what we should focus on. Should be a no brainer if the license is available.

I am a little concerned though. There has been a long time since Farsight even gave us a soft license table and it do take a bit of work on their side to deal with any license holder at all. Since they have a little less manpower these days working on the game and there is a lot of other new stuff that needs to be done, like ps4, Xbox One, DX11, elections for the president of the company, new games in the making etc. it might just not be worth it for them trying to get a license like Simpsons at the moment. It also takes some work to set up the Kickstarter (if that is necessary in this case)

I hope I am wrong of course. TSPP should be one of the easier licenses to get, of the newer Sterns at least and it a table most of us want, a lot. I think it would be perfect for TPA, lots to shoot for in that game and much fun to be had for the young and old :)

Last edited:

canuck

Nov 28, 2012
As zen has the Disney/ Star Wars branding all zipped up, TPA should corner the Simpsons branding. :)

pm1109

Dec 18, 2013
Yup
If we can't get TAF let's aim for TSPP for Season 4
It's been a while since we had a premium table

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.