AtGames Legends pinball

strells

Oct 7, 2014
I watched a number of Youtube videos on this table over the weekend with lots of positive feedback. Despite it being based on the 22 Gottlieb tables from TPA, I'm still tempted. Anybody familiar with the Atgames ecosystem have opinions/insights into if this is worth it beyond the 22 (or should I just keep waiting for the A1Up AfM)?

vfpcoder

Jul 9, 2012
First of all, based on the youtube videos, the TPA physics seem to have been finally tuned for challenging game play. And the internal tables are all provided at 60 FPS, 1080p on a 36" table screen with a 15" backglass screen. And WiFi connectivity is built-in. So that's all very impressive hardware for the $599 asking price. However, only Gottlieb tables are provided in a native fashion. With the native tables you get backglass support and haptic feedback. With the ecosystem and the WiFi connectivity you get Zaccharia tables and some (original) VPX tables. But those tables don't support the backglass or the haptic feedback. FarSight is promising additional original native tables at some point.

BOTTOM LINE: This could be an incredible Pinball cabinet for the asking price if somebody can figure out how to run VPX tables on it natively. Otherwise, it doesn't seem worth it just for the Gottlieb tables.
(The mind boggles, though, just thinking about how good this platform could have been if FarSight had not lost their Williams/Bally License!)

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I hardware on both AtGames and 1Up have been getting really solid reviews, so that's not an issue. What you have to ask yourself is what do you plan on doing with the cab. If you are planning on adding a PC so that you can bring in many more games, then AtGames is the way to go. If you are only going to use it with what is made available, then you have to ask how much you really enjoy playing Gottlieb and Zaccaria tables. If you are a fan of Zen and of Williams, then the answer for that is obvious.

Don't hold your breathe for FarSight doing any updates or corrections for the Gottlieb tables. These look exactly like what they programmed for Arcooda, and no the physics weren't touched. This is a port to Android of that build from what I can tell. Knowing FarSight, they were contracted for this, the software has been delivered and shipped, contract fullfilled. Any further changes beyond basic support would require new product contract. I'm much more curious about what these Taito license inspired tables will be, my money being on reskinning Williams tables they'd done in the past.

One thing I don't like with all the AtGames talk and their ArcadeNet and BYOG is nobody likes to mention the subscription cost. This is where AtGames is going to make their money, the cabinet is just a loss leader into it. None of the reviews mention the cost, finding the cost on the website is not easy, especially because they advertise instead that it's free for the first month. Last thing I saw was it's $20 a month to get those online tourneys and leaderboards. Ouch.

strells

Oct 7, 2014
Ouch, I didn't know about the subscription cost either! Maybe I will just wait for A1Up. Both their Marvel and Star Wars are tempting, though.

yespage

Oct 31, 2015
Having the Zaccaria without Haptic really makes one think thrice. I would gladly go with a large Zaccaria library instead of a smaller Williams/Bally library, but right now Zaccaria on AtGames seems like an after thought.

Mar 9, 2012
Having the Zaccaria without Haptic really makes one think thrice. I would gladly go with a large Zaccaria library instead of a smaller Williams/Bally library, but right now Zaccaria on AtGames seems like an after thought.

I wouldn't say that.. I asked Magic Pixel when the PS4 was getting new tables that steam has and this is what he said..

--

We want to update it but we still need to finish up the iOS version.
And the AtGames cabinet version, those are the two projects we focus on right now.
Once these two are done, we finally have more time to update the other platforms.

wizard33

Jul 31, 2014
Atgames mentions the 22 built-in games and say it's expendable. But they are not very accurate about this. More tables from Gottlieb ? If not, which brand ? Which price ?

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
They have already announced that 106 Zaccaria tables will become available this Spring (essentially all but the Deluxe tables).

They also announced that there will be some tables devoloped around classic Taito video game licenses, rumor being 8 of them, and it is widely believed that FarSight is making them.

As for price, nobody knows. Probably be priced just like Zaccaria currently is.

You won't download directly to the cabinet, rather to a USB thumbdrive you then plug into the slot on the cab.

You aren't going to see Stern titles on this, I can pretty much say with confidence. There are game studios developing licensed digital pinball titles other than Magic Pixel and Zen (I don't count FarSight any longer as I'm pretty sure the Taito titles will just be re-skins of tables they already developed for TPA). AtGames will throw all future development to the VPX community as they've already been touting this idea of community profit sharing for original content.

Hope that fills in the blanks for you.

Cowboy

Feb 23, 2012
I don't know if anyone here has one of these yet, but they are amazing!

Coming from a guy who Beta tested for FarSight back in 2012, I can say this is the best these tables have felt yet....the experience with them in this cabinet is really good!

They issued an update on the 22 Gottlieb tables a couple of weeks ago that added ball spin, so someone is improving the tables for this platform.

As much as I enjoy the Gottlieb tables the huge selection of Zaccaria steal the show, they are pretty spotless and hard to find fault with.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
It’s very interesting that it took the Legends Pinball platform to make people truly enjoy the Zaccaria library. Previously the main comments were always about the physics being too floaty and of course the oddball design, but with ALP, suddenly those things don’t seem to matter. I don’t know if that has more to do with not having Zen stealing attention away or whether the form factor is the difference. I am happy Magic Pixel’s efforts are finally getting their due though.

Cowboy

Feb 23, 2012
I think it might be a little of both, there is no doubt they look great in this setup....this thing makes the older table styles like the Zaccaria ones even more realistic.

yespage

Oct 31, 2015
I see that AtGames has the Wave 10 Express: Legends Pinball Plus available. The price includes the Zaccaria tables, roughly a bazillion of them. However, there is no indication if haptic feedback, etc... is included with the Zaccaria tables.

Cowboy

Feb 23, 2012
Haptic feedback is included with all the tables. It works just as well with the Zaccaria tables as with the Gottlieb.

It is an identical experience just with different tables.

strells

Oct 7, 2014
I ended up getting one...and a PC to run VPX and Future Pinball and FX3.

I've already modded it with a 3rd display (like Cooltoy did, but not a complete Simpsons Pinball Party mod like he did!) and I'm waiting for the VBIS (or BVIS or Rachel; whatever you want to call it) board to become available again to easily switch the backglass between the stock Atgames interface and my PC (using a regular HDMI-to-LVDS adapter board for now).

Expensive, time-consuming hobby this is.

vfpcoder

Jul 9, 2012
I ended up getting one...and a PC to run VPX and Future Pinball and FX3.

I've already modded it with a 3rd display (like Cooltoy did, but not a complete Simpsons Pinball Party mod like he did!) and I'm waiting for the VBIS (or BVIS or Rachel; whatever you want to call it) board to become available again to easily switch the backglass between the stock Atgames interface and my PC (using a regular HDMI-to-LVDS adapter board for now).

Expensive, time-consuming hobby this is.

Wow! So you have two Arcade1UP Visual Pinball Cabs (AFM and Marvel); and, now, the AtGames "Legends" Pinball Cab!!
Is it too early to ask which one you like best?

strells

Oct 7, 2014
I haven't finished setting up the ALP completely, but the hardware and expansion possibilities are the best. My son likes the Gottlieb and Zaccaria tables more than I do.

Of the A1Up machines, AfM is the clear winner for me because I love real tables. I mentioned elsewhere that the g-sensor in the Marvel was DoA. A1Up is sending me a replacement so we'll see if that helps improve that table for me.

yespage

Oct 31, 2015
Finally arrived. It is very nice. The visuals are incredible. You need to put your face into the screen to start seeing the pixels. I hooked up the PC via OTG, but I'm getting a very fractional of a second lag on the flippers. Not seeing that with the native tables. The other issue is the haptic is causing unwanted vibration. Turned the haptic to low and the sound down and it is still too much. For instance, when the Jaws music plays in Tee'd Off it is more vibration than sound.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.