AtGames Legends pinball

yespage

Oct 31, 2015

AtGames is releasing a couple packs of Dr. Seuss tables, three tables 12/20. Magic Pixel again has been contracted to put these together. I presume these are former pinball Gottlieb or Williams tables. The previous Taito tables were pretty good, and I look forward to these tables.

With the latest update putting haptics live OTG, this table has hit the right spot. Too bad it wasn't released like this, but it is finally here. With the Activision Atari games out as well (Data East too), this machine has gotten even more fun. I wish it was easier to replace the backglass monitor. I have another larger monitor (discarded from work) hooked to the side for OTG, and it looks great (stock backglass is good, but just a bit small).

Saw I lost my #1 in Stars Phoenix, which stung a bit. Tried playing it again, that table has grown on me, and I swear something broke in it. I was doing very well, and I think multi-ball happened, but then before I knew it I was on third ball... when I thought I was still live on the first. Unfortunate because I was in the zone. I'll be back. Still #1 in Black Belt Retro, a very boring table that I got very lucky on.

yespage

Oct 31, 2015
AtGames is releasing a 4K table. Looks nice, probably an upgrade in sorts, but uncertain the actual improvement. But that isn't what I'm wondering about.

They are listing other tables as HD. I can't find any information anywhere about a remastering of the Gottliebs that came with the Legends Pinball machine. An update and improvement in its looks would be great, but I can't tell if this is a remaster or whether they are trying to sell the existing product as "HD".

Rayder

Mar 21, 2014
With the AtGames pins, the HD one has a 1080p main screen, the new one has a 4K main screen in it.

The older HD version only had two video screens, the main game screen (1080p) and on backbox screen (not sure res), and the DMD would just show on the single backbox screen.

The new Legends 4K pin has three screens; the main game screen (4K), a larger backbox screen (not sure res) and a third screen for the DMD.

As for the tables, I'd assume they are the same, just now outputting at the higher 4K resolution. And possibly run a bit smoother on the more powerful hardware.

You should find more info here: (USA link)

I just pre-ordered both the HD Arcade machine and the 4K Legends pinball table a few minutes ago. Kinda expensive, but it will be my first foray into these units. We'll see how it goes.

yespage

Oct 31, 2015
Tried a bit harder to look. It looks like they have the 4K tables and the original ones are being dubbed "HD", which is really fraudulent for the Gottlieb tables. Based on the tables included in the 4K machine, I'd stay away from that unless it has the same pluggability that the HD table has to a computer to play Visual Pinball. Though, not many are 4K even there.

The only tables I think I saw available in 4K are the new "deluxe" Zaccaria and the completely fake ones. I don't think they have the capacity to render the old tables into 4K, though they look great on the HD machine.

The trouble with "4K" is that the machine likely can't do a real 4K anyway. With the Dayton exciters, and the finally stable and haptics friendly for Visual Pinball setup, the older Legends Pinball machine is awesome. It'd be nice if it was larger, but for the price, it really has paid off well.

The local Zaccaria tables are great and the access to play from a PC, while not quite as easy as it could be, takes it to a whole new level.

yespage

Oct 31, 2015
I've been somewhat obsessed with No Man's Sky for a while now. Yesterday was the first time in a bit that I've actually perused the menus and software on the Legends "HD" Pinball. They had "HD" downloads for the Gottliebs and Zaccaria tables. The Zaccaria tables seemed to maybe look a little better, ball seemed a bit faster. Gottlieb really only noticed the ball rotating action. Everything worked well. They advertised the Zaccaria download as 1080, 60 fps. It is hard to tell really. Being so close up, and all. I'd say I've always liked the Zaccaria tables on this machine. It was the Gottliebs that looked underwater.

yespage

Oct 31, 2015
Looks like AtGames has a few other 4K machines, Star Trek, Peanuts, Addams Family, generic. In general, the machines come with the Zaccaria Deluxe tables in 4K plus whichever table(s) are related to the machine theme. They had the 4K Zaccaria tables on sale for Black Friday, however, without any actual previews for the 4K benefits, hard to justify wading into these waters.

I'm really curious about the Gottlieb tables, as the Zen engine is bulky as all heck, while Zaccaria is much more streamlined, hence the chance at better graphics.

No way am I biting at the 4K table. While the visuals will be an improvement, I can't imagine the Zac tables being that much better than the 1080p. And there are not enough replayable Goettliebs.

Rayder

Mar 21, 2014
The Gottlieb tables are the ones from Farsight's "The Pinball Arcade". They are considered the weakest (graphically and physics-wise) tables on the ALP. But Farsight was one of the earliest devs to make commercially available re-creations, so it's just that they were made on a very old engine. I've had them on PC and Playstation for ages, since long before they lost the Bally/Williams license. Love them just because they are re-creations of real-life tables and not originals that never existed IRL, or as I call those, fako's.

I have the Addams Family 4KP pre-ordered, along with the SSF sound kit. My plan is to buy all-of-everything AtGames makes available for it. But there's so many fako's and not enough re-creations. Hopefully that's where Zen will come in, they have the Bally/Williams license now.

So, we have the Gottliebs made on a very old engine. The Zaccaria's (Magic Pixel) where 1/3 are real-life re-creations and 2/3 fakos (remake and retro). Also, many of the AtGames exclusives are made by Magic Pixel. Then we have Zen, who started out making fako's for years, but now are getting into re-creations with the Bally/Williams license. It's just too bad Stern has turned against video re-creations of their tables. They feel it cuts into sales of their real tables. Almost forgot, we also have some fako's based on Taito IP's.

I fear the 4KP won't be nearly as "expandable" as the original ALP was though. You'll probably still have the HDMI-in ability for hooking up a PC to play stuff like VPX and Future Pinball and whatever else, but other stuff like CoinOpsX, Legends Unchained and OneSauce will likely be gone, due to the collaboration with Zen. At least until the fanbase/community figures out some workarounds.

We shall see, I suppose. Couple more months to go before the 4KP releases.

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
The Gottlieb tables are the ones from Farsight's "The Pinball Arcade". They are considered the weakest (graphically and physics-wise) tables on the ALP. But Farsight was one of the earliest devs to make commercially available re-creations, so it's just that they were made on a very old engine. I've had them on PC and Playstation for ages, since long before they lost the Bally/Williams license. Love them just because they are re-creations of real-life tables and not originals that never existed IRL, or as I call those, fako's.

I have the Addams Family 4KP pre-ordered, along with the SSF sound kit. My plan is to buy all-of-everything AtGames makes available for it. But there's so many fako's and not enough re-creations. Hopefully that's where Zen will come in, they have the Bally/Williams license now.

So, we have the Gottliebs made on a very old engine. The Zaccaria's (Magic Pixel) where 1/3 are real-life re-creations and 2/3 fakos (remake and retro). Also, many of the AtGames exclusives are made by Magic Pixel. Then we have Zen, who started out making fako's for years, but now are getting into re-creations with the Bally/Williams license. It's just too bad Stern has turned against video re-creations of their tables. They feel it cuts into sales of their real tables. Almost forgot, we also have some fako's based on Taito IP's.

I fear the 4KP won't be nearly as "expandable" as the original ALP was though. You'll probably still have the HDMI-in ability for hooking up a PC to play stuff like VPX and Future Pinball and whatever else, but other stuff like CoinOpsX, Legends Unchained and OneSauce will likely be gone, due to the collaboration with Zen. At least until the fanbase/community figures out some workarounds.

We shall see, I suppose. Couple more months to go before the 4KP releases.
Turns out, maybe with Stern?

yespage

Oct 31, 2015
Regarding the Gottliebs and an older engine, they are selling these as 4K, which would have required some substantial upgrades to the graphics. Merely putting them on a 4K screen wouldn't improve things enough, certainly regarding the price to buy the tables. So did Farsight upgrade these, or is this a con?

Definitely my biggest complaint with the 4K table. A bunch of advertising but little in the way or showing what the product does.

Rayder

Mar 21, 2014
My guess with those Gottlieb tables is that they're simply set to output at 4K. Think about it, Farsight's The Pinball Arcade on PC has many varying resolutions you can run it at, so they just bumped up the output resolution for the 4KP and called it an all new edition.

I mean, MAYBE they had to adjust a few things in the program to accommodate the faster CPU in the 4KP to justify new packs, but I doubt there were many significant changes beyond a res bump.

So, calling it a con is kind of subjective. There really isn't any access to resolution settings in the old packs that the user could get at. But then again, they DID do an update to the Gottliebs for the original ALP that are supposed to be included in the 4KP version, so...hmmm.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.