Battle of the Tables - Round 2

doveton

Mar 7, 2013
ok so in the last round centaur left pinbot without a bride, dr dude was destroyed by aliens and teed off got lost in the zone. we're left with 16 tables and i think theres gonna be some very close tussles out of this lot:

Medieval Madness v Cirqus Voltaire

Elvira and the Party Monsters v Centaur

Theatre of Magic v White Water

Creature from the Black Lagoon v Whirlwind

Ripleys Believe it or Not v Attack From Mars

Tales of the Arabian Nights v Twilight Zone

T2 V Pinbot

Monster Bash v Scared Stiff

you know the drill, voting closes wednesday, 11pm uk time, 3pm pacific time. If any of the contests are tied at that point im going to sudden death, next person to vote decides it. if nobody new has voted after 2 hours of this then the table that got the most votes in round one will go through.

switch3flip

Jan 30, 2013
Medieval Madness

Centaur

Theatre of Magic

Creature from the Black Lagoon

Attack From Mars

Twilight Zone

T2

Monster Bash

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
Medieval Madness v Cirqus Voltaire - Wow, tough choice right at the beginning. I like both of them. I prefer the voices in MM, that's why this table wins.

Elvira and the Party Monsters v Centaur - Centaur, because it's a very unique table

Theatre of Magic v White Water - ToM has more to do, but both tables are great fun.

Creature from the Black Lagoon v Whirlwind - Just because the movie table is funnier.

Ripleys Believe it or Not v Attack From Mars - Sorry Martians, but you have to leave the contest. At least for me. Ripley is one of my favourites.

Tales of the Arabian Nights v Twilight Zone - Anyone who can see me smiling when starting Lost in the Zone, knows why I choose this one. I can't see any table win against Twilight Zone, to be honest

T2 V Pinbot - Ah, good, very easy choice for me. Pinbot may go and visit his bride.

Monster Bash v Scared Stiff - Phew, a difficult one. I like both, but I guess Scared Stiff is a bit more fun to me

Interesting, but not surprising to me: There are only 5 season 2 tables out of 16 tables left in the contest.

doveton

Mar 7, 2013
Medieval Madness v Cirqus Voltaire - i go back to medieval madness time and time again, cv ive had some decent games on and its not a bad table but i rarely go back to it these days

Elvira and the Party Monsters v Centaur - im hooked on centaur at the moment, cant get enough of it. it can be horribly, awfully frustrating at times and the vast majority of games i struggle to get anything going at all, but on those rare beautiful moments when it all just clicks and you find yourself with 5 balls pinging around the table for a fair amount of time, i dont think theres many better experiences in the whole of TPA

Theatre of Magic v White Water theres just so much going on on white water, ive not played it much in a while to be honest but im sure there will be days to come where i play it to death again, with TOM im not too sure. i loved it for a while there and its a great table but im not sure how much id miss it if i never played it again

Creature from the Black Lagoon v Whirlwind - for a DMD table creature from the black lagoon is a bit too one dimensional for me, theres not nearly as much variety of things to do and it doesnt hold my attention much compared to others. whirlwind doesnt have a massive amount of depth either i guess but i find it a lot more fun to play than creature

Ripleys Believe it or Not v Attack From Mars - i was playing RBION just 30 minutes ago and i think the reason why its never been a favourite despite being a solid table with a lot to do is more to do with the aesthetics than anything else, its simply an ugly looking table. attack from mars is one of the great tables for me and maybe the one ive played most, although that might have something to do with the fact its the first table that comes up when you load up TPA

Tales of the Arabian Nights v Twilight Zone - ive recently started playing TOTAN a lot more, and its gone up a huge amount in my estimation, but the twilight zone still tops it for me. a good game of TZ leaves me buzzing when its all over

T2 V Pinbot - a few people said T2's simple ruleset is a minus point in the first round, but for me its a big plus. dont get me wrong, i love tables with deep rulesets as much as anyone, but sometimes all i want to do is smack a pinball around a table a bit without thinking too much about it, and T2 is the perfect game to do that for me. pinbot the weakest table left in it for me, just does nothing for me whatsoever

Monster Bash v Scared Stiff - i was a lot more torn on this one than i would have been a month ago. monster bash has just lost a lot of its appeal to me lately, and im not sure why cause its always been a favourite. still putting it above scared stiff though even though im a big fan of that also. yeah its a bit easy, but its a lot of fun and its kind of nice to have at least one table that makes it look like im a half decent player!

N

netizen

Medieval Madness v Cirqus Voltaire

Elvira and the Party Monsters v Centaur

Theatre of Magic v White Water

Creature from the Black Lagoon v Whirlwind

Ripleys Believe it or Not v Attack From Mars

Tales of the Arabian Nights v Twilight Zone

T2 V Pinbot

Monster Bash v Scared Stiff

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
*sigh*

Medieval Madness
Centaur
White Water
Creature From the Black Lagoon
Ripley's
Twilight Zone
Pinbot
Monster Bash

k88dad

Nov 9, 2012
Cirqus Voltaire

Centaur

Theatre of Magic

Attack From Mars

Twilight Zone

T2

Monster Bash

Ark Malmeida

Apr 3, 2012
Wow! Really tough choices in some of the matchups!

Medieval Madness - CV would have beat most tables as I love the theme and lightshow, but MM is one of the all time greats IMO.

Centaur - Love the artwork and sounds on Centaur.

White Water - Another tough one but WW is one of my all time favorites. The upper shot to the falls or Whirlpool is great and the sounds when the ball goes into various holes are just amazing.

Whirlwind - System 11 games are favorites of mine. Now if we can just simulate the fan!

Ripleys Believe it or Not - Such a deep rule set and tons of modes. Great ramp and loop shots. Love this table!

Twilight Zone - Twilight Zone is just amazing. Love the show, love the pinball.

T2 - Even though it has a shallow rule set the theme is very well done. Cannon shot is fun too.

Monster Bash - Shame to see the Elvira tables with such tough match-ups. MB wins the battle of the monster/horror themes.

Last edited:

Crawley

Mar 25, 2013
Medieval Madness
Centaur
White Water - Ugh, tough choice. I like both tables but a slight nod to White Water, a bit more fun to play.
Attack From Mars - Nooooo! Ripley's is a fantastic table, not one I took to initially but grew to love. But damn AFM is just the complete package for me. So much fun to play, challenging at times, but also very easy to get in to. Ugh. Hate making this choice.
Tales of the Arabian Nights - Another difficult choice but I'm going with the table I have more fun playing which is TOTAN.
T2
Monster Bash - Even though it kicked out one of my favorite tables in the last round, Big Shot, and the theme isn't as good as Scared Stiff it's just a better table and more fun to play.

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
Medieval Madness
Centaur
Theatre of Magic
Whirlwind
Attack From Mars
Twilight Zone
T2
Monster Bash

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
Medieval Madness v Cirqus Voltaire - CV's rules fit together much better with some fun stacking. I still hate MM's rules around Trolls and Multiball Madness - great if you stack correctly, horrible if you don't (must cycle all the way around through Royal for another chance.) I don't expect the crowd to agree with me here though.

Elvira and the Party Monsters v Centaur - I always feel a bit guilty voting down an early solid-state table, it can't help its era. But they just aren't as interesting as later games, even a fairly lightweight one like Elvira.

Theatre of Magic v White Water - Massively tough call. They're both very good but not quite great. I'll vote TOM for better balance compared to the rather dominating 5x jackpot on Whitewater.

Creature from the Black Lagoon v Whirlwind - Not a fan of either (why couldn't one of these have gone up against AFM or TZ?) CFTBL's highly flawed TPA conversion sinks it. I'd vote the other way on the real machines.

Ripleys Believe it or Not v Attack From Mars - A titanic battle between well-liked tables. But AFM is better.

Tales of the Arabian Nights v Twilight Zone - Won't be as much of a blowout as some might think, TOTAN has quite a bit of love, but TZ will still win.

T2 V Pinbot - I don't get the complaints of T2 being shallow. It's exactly what it's supposed to be and does it very well. Certainly it can't be considered shallower than Pinbot. CFTBL is barely more complex than T2 and still somehow well loved.

Monster Bash v Scared Stiff - I want Monster Bash to win the whole thing, and it should pass through this round easily, Scared Stiff isn't quite in the top echelon of tables.

JPelter

Jun 11, 2012
Medieval Madness v Cirqus Voltaire - Great tables. CV wins for being a bit more challenging in some ways.
Elvira and the Party Monsters v Centaur - No contest. Elvira is booooring, and Centaur is one of the best tables in every way.
Theatre of Magic v White Water - Magic
Creature from the Black Lagoon v Whirlwind - Creature has a pretty terrible ruleset and I don't like the cheesy theme that much.
Ripleys Believe it or Not v Attack From Mars - You skate with the penguin at your own risk.
Tales of the Arabian Nights v Twilight Zone - TotAN wins for absurd difficulty. TZ is sadly a snoozefest in this implementation.
T2 V Pinbot - Pinbot is incredibly pretty with a good ruleset. I don't enjoy T2 as much as I probably should.
Monster Bash v Scared Stiff - Monster bash is somewhat more difficult and overall a better package.

Man-Machine

Dec 6, 2012
MM
Centaur
WH2O
WW
AFM
TZ
T2
SS

Surprised it was so easy. Almost all were given for me. In another setup ToTAN and Pinbot might have advanced to the quarterfinals.

Zorgwon

Sep 14, 2013
Medieval Madness v Cirqus Voltaire - Trolls rule the universe :)
Elvira and the Party Monsters v Centaur - Elvira's poor rule sheet makes Centaur a winner.
Theatre of Magic v White Water - Music, Voices and Art are so much better
Creature from the Black Lagoon v Whirlwind - a dice roll
Ripleys Believe it or Not v Attack From Mars - the head knows that RBION has more to play
Tales of the Arabian Nights v Twilight Zone - more fun in the nights
T2 V Pinbot - Terminating the bot
Monster Bash v Scared Stiff - hair-raising ;)

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
Medieval Madness
Centaur
Theatre of Magic
Attack from Mars
Twilight Zone
T2
Monster Bash

Members online

Members online