Request Beta of Pinball Arcade for PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
If the previous poster would complain less and read more, he would see that there was a long wait with the Greenlight process, then FarSight had a meeting with Valve, following which the game was Greenlit at the next opportunity. FarSight is now implementing the required Steam features in TPA so that it can be released.

DaPinballWizard

Apr 16, 2012
If the previous poster would complain less and read more, he would see that there was a long wait with the Greenlight process, then FarSight had a meeting with Valve, following which the game was Greenlit at the next opportunity. FarSight is now implementing the required Steam features in TPA so that it can be released.

When t was first announced over a year ago, Steam had nothing to do with it.

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
When t was first announced over a year ago, Steam had nothing to do with it.

Actually, it was. Steam denied Farsight because of "no interest" in pinball games, and so we had to start emailing them about it. That attempt was unsuccessful.

DaPinballWizard

Apr 16, 2012
Well it was pretty stupid of them to assume that they would get picked up by Steam. I remember back then they were announcing that it would be out relatively soon. Within months. More assumptions.
I have given up waiting. It gets released whenever. Who cares anymore. Sick of waiting and getting hopes up.
Hopefully by Xmas .

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
We get hot under the collar about this (including myself) but it's because we are so keen to see it sooner rather than later. At least now we know there are no more hurdles to jump through - I'm off to play some silver ball to destress, and drool over the latest Pro Pinball screenshots :cool:

Mr. Pacman

Feb 28, 2012

I could have built a house for all the time we've been waiting for that PC version. I know about the Greenlight process...although, I still believe that Farside didn't push enough for a PC release.

Now we are at the "implementing the required Steam features in TPA" stage and I wonder how do they manage their available time to do this. The whole situation looks worst than bureaucracy in underdeveloped countries. Maybe, they should finally take a little break from their ultra frequent updates for the other systems and spend more time for the PC version. There are people who want to pay for that product and Farside keep on doing everything else except sweating and getting anxious about that ultra delayed PC release. Sorry, but this isn't a good way of doing business IMO.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
There are people who want to pay for that product and Farside keep on doing everything else except sweating and getting anxious about that ultra delayed PC release. Sorry, but this isn't a good way of doing business IMO.

There are more people who want to pay for expansion tables on mobiles. Thats not necessarily me (because I do want to check every table out but the beta program gets me that fix) but I disagree: it makes perfect economic sense to bring in that constant mobile revenue while expanding slowly.

Besides, not letting the PS3, WiiU, iOS and Android developers and artists work on their projects doesnt mean they are able to work on the PC-version. I don't want the sommelier in a restaurant starting to help prep my dinner just because I don't drink wine.

Last edited:

Mr. Pacman

Feb 28, 2012
There are more people who want to pay for expansion tables on mobiles. Thats not necessarily me (because I do want to check every table out but the beta program gets me that fix) but I disagree: it makes perfect economic sense to bring in constant revenue while.

Besides, not letting the PS3, WiiU, iOS and Android developers and artists work on their projects doesnt mean they are able to work on the PC-version. I don't want the sommelier in a restaurant starting to help prep my dinner just because I don't drink wine.

I was speaking generally about how they manage their time and sources... Also, if they only want to support mobile platforms, it's their choice...but, it's a bad practice to officially announce a product that gets less attention by the company. That kind of treatment gives them a bad, amateurish image of people who try to get whatever they can by spreading a marketing bait without being able to fully support their aim.

Last edited:

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
We just got access to the Steam SDK a few weeks ago.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/193406/Steamworks_SDK_now_available_to_all_developers.php

In the past the SDK wasn't available until you were greenlit/approved and unfortunately they changed this policy after we were greenlit. We've never done a steam game before, so it is all new to us.

Adding more people on the Steam SDK integration wouldn't make it get done any faster. It's a common misconception that more programmers working on something makes it get done faster. The problem here is the work I'm doing now isn't modular enough to break up into smaller parts to hand off to someone else.

I'm splitting my time between doing Steam and implementing new tables. I've done most of the tables so it makes sense for me to do them (I can get them done faster than anyone else from all the experience). I also have done the most work on PC. Handing off Steam/PC to someone else wouldn't make sense cause we'd have to spend weeks getting them up to speed on how PC works.

From a business stand point, the new tables are most important because they bring in revenue needed to sustain the studio (pay utilities, salaries, etc). I love what I do, but sorry, I cannot work for free. I have bills of my own to pay and a family to take care of.

On the bright side, I'm pretty much full time on Steam right now.

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
We just got access to the Steam SDK a few weeks ago.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/193406/Steamworks_SDK_now_available_to_all_developers.php

In the past the SDK wasn't available until you were greenlit/approved and unfortunately they changed this policy after we were greenlit. We've never done a steam game before, so it is all new to us.

Adding more people on the Steam SDK integration wouldn't make it get done any faster. It's a common misconception that more programmers working on something makes it get done faster. The problem here is the work I'm doing now isn't modular enough to break up into smaller parts to hand off to someone else.

I'm splitting my time between doing Steam and implementing new tables. I've done most of the tables so it makes sense for me to do them (I can get them done faster than anyone else from all the experience). I also have done the most work on PC. Handing off Steam/PC to someone else wouldn't make sense cause we'd have to spend weeks getting them up to speed on how PC works.

From a business stand point, the new tables are most important because they bring in revenue needed to sustain the studio (pay utilities, salaries, etc). I love what I do, but sorry, I cannot work for free. I have bills of my own to pay and a family to take care of.

On the bright side, I'm pretty much full time on Steam right now.

Hey, Mike, take your time with this. No worries. How long would it take for you to implement the SDK?

Last edited:

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
Hey, Mike, take your time with this. No worries. How long would it take for you to implement the SDK?

The biggest part I need to get done is how the DLC works. Once I get past that (hopefully soon) it'll be much easier to finish up. DLC is tough cause every platform does it differently, so I have a few questions in with their dev support.

Cloning wouldn't work, as the clone would have to be raised, educated, and then brought in as a new employee in 20+ years. ;)

I'm a little older than 20's...thanks =)

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
The biggest part I need to get done is how the DLC works. Once I get past that (hopefully soon) it'll be much easier to finish up. DLC is tough cause every platform does it differently, so I have a few questions in with their dev support.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/226980/ Maybe this will help you out a bit, since FX 2's system works similarly, in terms of "Table Packs", with TPA's system. Are you planning to make every table a demo like the mobile versions, and make TotAN free?

Last edited:

AshleyAshes

Jun 27, 2012
Nice to see that Mike's alive and things are in progress. I have money I intend to spend the moment TPA comes out on Steam and I have friends who are eager to hear the news that they can get it on PC as well.

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
http://store.steampowered.com/app/226980/ Maybe this will help you out a bit, since FX 2's system works similarly, in terms of "Table Packs", with TPA's system. Are you planning to make every table a demo like the mobile versions, and make TotAN free?

I've checked out how they do it, and I would think we would want it to be similar.

We would like to allow demoing tables. I'm not sure yet if we're just giving away Tales free, then each table pack is bought, or if it'll be a 4 table launch pack like we did on consoles. Those decisions are up to management.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012

The PC version is going to bring in revenue too!

Thanks for the update.

Last edited:

rob3d

Feb 20, 2012
I've checked out how they do it, and I would think we would want it to be similar.

We would like to allow demoing tables. I'm not sure yet if we're just giving away Tales free, then each table pack is bought, or if it'll be a 4 table launch pack like we did on consoles. Those decisions are up to management.

demoing on pc would be great. being a newbie to classic pinball I can't tell you how many times I looked at a tables theme and thought "nah that cant be good", then I play the demo and it ends up being one of my favorites (Gorgar, blackhole, and several more)

I've purchased nearly every table pack all because of the demos, so it's definitely a plus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.