Black Flaggers (Pinball Wicked)

Black Flaggers invites you on a pirate’s journey of plundering loot, swashbuckling adventures and cannon wielding foes. The playfield, toys, characters and environment create a lush and vibrant pirate world brimming with life and adventure.

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
It's an engine used in high end 3d shooters... But it still looks great when tuned down a little.

I’ve modded unreal engines since 1999 I’m not dissing the product but it should run 60fps on a moderate system once it’s fully released otherwise they could pay me

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Yeah, just because it's the Unreal engine doesn't mean it should be as demanding as an FPS. Even mobile games have been using the engine for years. Sounds like the game just needs some optimization.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
yeah, maybe you are right.
I did run on "cinematic" setting, if you switch to "epic" it runs at 60 FPS. then there is still "high", "medium" and "low". on "high" it still looks great.
there is a table top view cam setting which cuts off all the scenery rendering in the background (ocean, ships, etc.), then it jumps to 60 FPS easily, even on "cinematic".
I guess if they fine tune and give more graphics options like turning off the water will make it run nicely on most systems.

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
It's now available on Early Access. Price tag is a bit high, £13.99 / €17.99 $17.99. That's for one table, 2 DLC tables will be extra DLC, price not confirmed yet.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
It's now available on Early Access. Price tag is a bit high, £13.99 / €17.99 $17.99. That's for one table, 2 DLC tables will be extra DLC, price not confirmed yet.

Yeah, pretty steep. More than the new Timeshock, and I haven't bought that yet. With Ghostbusters coming soon this is at best #3 on my Digital Pinball priority list. There might even be Zen tables that are higher.

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
I'm not even considering buying it at this premium price, although it really looks good. €10 at Early Access maximum. If they ask for €15 afterwards, fine.

zmcvay

Sep 19, 2014
I went ahead and took the plunge, I like supporting virtual pinball though $17 is steep (I'm one of those who paid MSRP for all the Pro Pinball tables in the 90's, this is still cheap compared to that).

Played for about 30 minutes earlier today, it is probably the best looking virtual pin I've seen to date, excellent graphics and lighting, I really like the table sounds, on the whole much better than TPA in the visual and audio departments, took awhile to get it to display in portrait properly, but there is a nice variety of table angles.

Physics seem alright, though I'm not the best expert on that. It is *very* buggy, had three games in that timeframe I had to restart due to the table getting stuck or not sending a new ball to the plunger. Will see how good they are at squashing bugs from here.

Default is 5 balls a game which made them run a bit long. Despite that I could not figure out what to do on the table. Indications are there are adventures to start and pirates to defeat, but I didn't manage to start either mode. Couldn't find a rule sheet, there might be one online.

On the whole, I'd say this has the potential to be something special with some more work, but more of a direct competitor to Pinball FX than TPA. Looking forward to playing more tonight. However I'd say it's probably best to hold off until this is polished up more before buying unless you are okay with the Early Access thing.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Yeah price is super steep. This will scare many people away. Maybe once the game is finished and dlc tables come for much less it's worth it.

Still best visuals and physics of a commercial game yet.

Be aware that the table is really unfinished, so a lot of modes and missions are not even in yet.. It's more a technical preview

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
You decide
Honestly they are more on a VPX level, which some say it's even better.
Overall it needs some more balancing, but at the flippers it's great. (IMHO)

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
As curious as I am about the game, I'm not $17.99 curious. I don't now if I'd be that curious even if it included the other 2 proposed tables. The game does look purdy though...

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
Waiting for a sale... I don't generally spend more than $10 on anything on Steam. Either a Steam Sale or I'll just wait until it gets discounted. Or it gets tossed in a Humble Bundle.

(I won't be bored. I have a huge pile of games - both still in shrinkwrap and on Steam that I haven't played or touched since I purchased them.)

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts