Cabinet mode table packs

DrainoBraino

Apr 11, 2012
Hmm....Pretty complicated when you think about it.

You got full cabinet mode: 3 monitor setup, or 2 and a real DMD.
Cabinet mode with two monitors: Backglass and DMD on one, the other for the table.
Cabinet mode with one monitor: The DMD can be moved anywhere. this is the way I play VP. 1 monitor and I put the DMD in a place where it's least interfering with the table. I was hoping to play TPA like this, I don't plan on using 2 monitors or building a cabinet anytime soon.
Portrait mode: not true cabinet mode, just similar view to portrait on phone or tablet. I would be happy if this was available.

What do you think will be available on TPA?

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
This is just a guess, but I'm thinking TPA will support the playfield on one monitor and the backglass/DMD on the other.

Even in the VP communitiy, support for real DMD's is a fairly new thing.

The term "full on cab" is a bit wider than only one configuration. Expecting FS to support niche hardware exactly like the very community that pushes the bleeding edge of that hardware configuration is probably unrealistic.

What they will do is anyone's guess though, since they are ordering a cab, who knows what depths of support they will add.

Roo

Jul 5, 2013
This is just a guess, but I'm thinking TPA will support the playfield on one monitor and the backglass/DMD on the other.

Even in the VP communitiy, support for real DMD's is a fairly new thing.

The term "full on cab" is a bit wider than only one configuration. Expecting FS to support niche hardware exactly like the very community that pushes the bleeding edge of that hardware configuration is probably unrealistic.

What they will do is anyone's guess though, since they are ordering a cab, who knows what depths of support they will add.

Well they got their cabinet from VirtuaPin, so I'd at least expect support for that. That means plunger, nudging, and 2 screens + real DMD. They already had the real DMD working at the Chicago Pinball Expo, actually. Not sure about other toys like a shaker motor, but if they support it I'll consider adding one to my cabinet. It added a lot more than I thought it would after playing a number of real tables with them in Chicago.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Well they got their cabinet from VirtuaPin, so I'd at least expect support for that. That means plunger, nudging, and 2 screens + real DMD. They already had the real DMD working at the Chicago Pinball Expo, actually. Not sure about other toys like a shaker motor, but if they support it I'll consider adding one to my cabinet. It added a lot more than I thought it would after playing a number of real tables with them in Chicago.

Out of curiosity,

The shaker motor, is this a large motor to simulate say...Earthshaker? Or just a small motor to give some haptic feedback for solonoids and that small shake that the flippers make when activated?

shimoda

Mar 14, 2013
Full out shaker motor. They are quickly becoming an item people put in many cabs despite many applications not really being 'right' for it. That said, a shaker adds something to a game if done right. I'm considering adding one to a Doctor Who for when the Dalek shots are made or when the mini playfield moves.

Loadedweapon

Oct 26, 2013
yea it would be nice to get some info on this.. I want to buy them but I will only play on the cab it would be crazy to set at my desk when i have this full size 3 screen pincab setting right beside me..
I figure once they get the bugs worked out on the tables that they will start work on cab support.. I know they want to play there virtuapin too lol..

Last edited:

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
This is about all the info I can give (as I really don't have any more details).

Cabinet support is different from Portrait. Portrait will be an option based on resolution. It will be similar to playing on an ipad or iphone in portrait. There is no plans to charge anything extra or have this be separate from the game. It'll be available in an up coming patch. Not sure exactly when yet.

Cabinet support will have multiple display support, cabinet controls, real DMD, etc. Management hasn't figured out how that is going to be handled yet. Whether it's a separate app, and add on, etc...

And I actually need a real cabinet in the studio to work on this, and I'm told I should be getting access in a few weeks.

karl

May 10, 2012
Mike, thanks for suppling all the info that is possible at this time. This is just what I predicted but it is nice to hear it from the source and not have people relying on my guesses ;) Pleased to hear that you are doing it this way so that the ones wanting just portrait can sleep a little lighter and buy the game on pc sooner, rather than later :D

Just hoping that Paul will prioritize sending you this. He is a really nice guy but he does have way to much for one guy to take care of alone sometimes. How he manages it at all is pretty amazing

Gardhul

Aug 5, 2013
This is about all the info I can give (as I really don't have any more details).

Cabinet support is different from Portrait. Portrait will be an option based on resolution. It will be similar to playing on an ipad or iphone in portrait. There is no plans to charge anything extra or have this be separate from the game. It'll be available in an up coming patch. Not sure exactly when yet.

Glad to hear that the portrait mode is not that hard to implement: it's what I'm really missing now from the game. No interest for me about cabinet, just need to use my pivotable monitor at its best.

Justin2097

Jul 2, 2013
I'd settle for portrait mode at the moment anyway, as my cab will only have a 2 screen setup. Portrait is the only way I play on android, so I'm eagerly awaiting it.

Tin_Foil

Nov 1, 2013

Cabinet support will have multiple display support, cabinet controls, real DMD, etc. Management hasn't figured out how that is going to be handled yet. Whether it's a separate app, and add on, etc...

And I actually need a real cabinet in the studio to work on this, and I'm told I should be getting access in a few weeks.

Thank you for at least addressing this in some form. I know the cabinet community isn't as large as your general community, but I'd wager we're a lot more rabid. I guess, for now, I'll enjoy what I have and continue to wait for any large purchases.

Loadedweapon

Oct 26, 2013

Thank you portrait mode will be nice to atleast get it on the cab.. Thats really all fx2 has. I look forward to the cab version

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I'd at the very least like to see a 2 screen mode.

The shaker sounds pretty awesome but my "cab" setup is pretty basic. Two screens, one for playfield and one for backglass/dmd.

I like the idea of having DMD support, but what would be done for alphanumeric displays etc. Having 2 screen support would be a great start, with features to come later, such as third screen (some use a small usb lcd as a dmd monitor for instance) and solonoid support.

As for the rest. The controls could be implemented now as the iPac2 for instance simply maps keyboard commands, so aside from adding more controls and fine-tuning the nudging a bit, it seems like that part is mostly taken care of by the player.

The possibilities are endless. I also wonder how many virtualpin setups TPA has the potential to sell for Noah. There are a lot of setups available there so, potentially something for everyone. Couple that with custom builds, this could encourage more people to build/buy setups.

DrainoBraino

Apr 11, 2012

ok thanks Mike. Well there's the answer for now.

Can't wait for these to become available, TPA is awesome on PC!

Roo

Jul 5, 2013
Out of curiosity,

The shaker motor, is this a large motor to simulate say...Earthshaker? Or just a small motor to give some haptic feedback for solonoids and that small shake that the flippers make when activated?

Yeah, large motor that kind of rumbles the whole cab, but with a surprising amount of subtley sometimes. Some games like Roadshow came with them originally and I think most new Sterns support them as add ons or in the premium edition. I also played some older tables like AFM with one added, though I'm not sure if this is considered a mod that Farsight could not support in their license. It was cool in AFM, actually - small shake each time you hit the ship, big shake when you destroy it.

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012

Thanks a lot Mike for the updates - they really should give you a community managers salary on top of your developers salary.

Great news about multi-monitor and DMD support. Might be worth supporting a 3rd screen where the DMD can be dragged to for those without PinDMD and real DMD. I hope that the cab support will eventually have working backglasses but of course expect to pay more than the standard PC version. Would still be nice if it all could be done as add-ons to standard version so releasees can happen at same time.

Love 'the Management' quotes :)

hqdefault.jpg

priested

Nov 7, 2013

While this is good info and I really appreciate it, one of the most important question for cabinet owners remains unanswered. That is whether if we buy now, we will have to re-buy the tables again when cabinet mode is eventually offered. That is the only thing holding me back from buying both seasons right now since I am reasonably happy with my work-around using window mode. Any idea when we will have an answer to that question? And thanks again for all the work you have put in and on trying to get us answers.

HRMpickles

Apr 15, 2013
+1 I as well am holding off until I know how cabinet mode will be sold. I can buy an add on but I can't buy the table packs again, $90 for pro mode is way too much to spend twice!

Members online

Members online