DLC Release Date

BBIAJ

Jul 31, 2012
Launch Table optional update is LIVE! I grabbed it via Add-ons on the XBLMP via the Dashboard. Plunger cams are in, as is the new lighting model and, 4th in-game cam! No added lag either, as some people seemed to be concerned about.

Oh, and I've been reading these boards for a week or so now, only signed up the other day, first post today, as this seems like a good place for updates and table discussion!

EDIT: Apologies, thread hadn't updated when I thought it had, hence me repeating everything already posted above.

What a school boy error to make as a debut post... *sad panda*

Last edited:

Daniel Osborne

Feb 28, 2012
I didnt have to delete anything to get the update working today. It just went past 99% when it unlocked this morning, as FS said it would.

it did that for me too initially, but it made no difference to the game at all, that's why i tried what i did, and that worked for me.

Daniel Osborne

Feb 28, 2012
Launch Table optional update is LIVE! I grabbed it via Add-ons on the XBLMP via the Dashboard. Plunger cams are in, as is the new lighting model and, 4th in-game cam! No added lag either, as some people seemed to be concerned about.

Oh, and I've been reading these boards for a week or so now, only signed up the other day, first post today, as this seems like a good place for updates and table discussion!

EDIT: Apologies, thread hadn't updated when I thought it had, hence me repeating everything already posted above.

What a school boy error to make as a debut post... *sad panda*

Welcome to the forum !

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
it did that for me too initially, but it made no difference to the game at all, that's why i tried what i did, and that worked for me.

I have 4 camera's plunger cam and updated lighting on the core tables, so it installed for me.

TOTAN looks gorgeous btw.

N

Nik Barbour

You might need to delete the optional update file from your hard drive that failed at 99% and re-download maybe - stuck @ work so can't try this.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
You might need to delete the optional update file from your hard drive that failed at 99% and re-download maybe - stuck @ work so can't try this.

Thats indeed enough to fix any potential issues. No need to delete your game, DLC or saves. I created a thread outlining this.

DJ Clae

Jun 17, 2012
Well, of course I'd already deleted the incomplete file. Guess I didn't need to delete everything. Thought it was the only way to get it to finish downloading.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
The optional update now shows up under "latest addons" on marketplace, so this should get attention to the new tables as well regardless of their publishing dates.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Do the captive balls on TOTAN and TOM look chrome or are they dull grey like PS3 after lighting update/downgrade?

Aurel

Jul 27, 2012
Just got all the updates and sure the game is now even more attractive with new tables and lights improvements.
I only regret the following:
-ToM is now a little too dark,
-View 1 in CV is too close from the table
-DMD in CV is often splited (desync)
-Zooms are now launched too late and are reverted too fast.

So nice job, but I regret that the originals views (n°1 and 3) were not conserved for these new tables (and now with the last update they are no more available for the old ones... snif!...)

laughing_lunatic

Jun 6, 2012
Black Hole <<snip>> and went on to score 79M on it.

79 Million. On Black Hole.

I have 4 camera's plunger cam and updated lighting on the core tables, so it installed for me.

TOTAN looks gorgeous btw.

Man, I can't wait to get home now, haven't played ToTAN for while, looks like I need to revisit. I always loved the aesthetics of ToTAN, with sexy new lighting, I may have to throw on a Barry White album while I play...

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
I can confirm that Theatre of Magic doesn't have the captive-ball rendering bug that people were complaining about on PS3. However, the table art is now a little dim and grey for my taste; I preferred the more vibrant colors with the old lighting. The playfield lights certainly look much better now.

I tried Black Hole but didn't notice any major gameplay changes; in particular, the pop bumper on the lower playfield still closes the gate (based on statements from Farsight, I didn't expect this particular update to change that; it sounds like the fix might come in September, or whenever we get CftBL/Black Knight).

MichRX7

Aug 2, 2012
First time poster, long time lurker. I have owned TPA since launch and must say that while there are some issues with the game here and there, there is nothing that would keep me from spending $10 for the initial game and $5 for packs of two tables each. I paid $400 for a really crappy looking Strikes and Spares machine thinking I would fix it up and one year later it sits behind me working only 50% of the time while I play my $10 Xbox simulation of four way newer pinball machines for hours.

I think back to when I was a kid playing Black Knight and I would have burnt through $10 in 30 minutes, lol... Heck, I paid $50 for that pinball game on the original Mac where you could build your own and was happy with those comic graphics. So let's talk about bugs constructively, but if you are going to call this game unplayable, put your $10 into a nice investment fund and maybe in 50 years you can buy one of these tables yourself.

The only table I am not to a huge fan of, so far, is CV, and only because, in one day of trying, I have not been able to find a camera angle I like. Sure, the wait for DLC felt unbearable, but turn off your Xbox and go outside some time. It showed in July compared to May. Seriously, why stress out over a minuscule amount of time in your life?

Anyhow, just my two cents. Can't wait to get out of work and try and top my BOP high score on day 2.

szycag

Apr 19, 2012
szycag said:
MM's DMD isn't "glowing" like the initial tables after the update. Also the pack one stuff doesn't seem to have the lighting upgrade, or at least the contrast is a lot better on the pack 2 stuff. Will it be another long wait to get the first two DLC tables up to speed?
The core tables update will be out tomorrow.

I'm talking about the DLC tables, not the core tables. Medieval Madness doesn't have the fixed lighting.

Aurel

Jul 27, 2012
The only table I am not to a huge fan of, so far, is CV, and only because, in one day of trying, I have not been able to find a camera angle I like.

Yes all camera views are closer in CV than in others tables (it seams to be also the case with FH but not as much).
I now play all the table with Camera n°1 exept for CV where I use Cam2.
For FH i'm still not decided cam1 is a bit too close, cam2 is a bit too far...
With the global camera number save it's a bit disapointing that all tables don't have the same angle setting in views...

Last edited:

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
Yes all camera views are closer in CV than in others tables (it seams to be also the case with FH but not as much).
I now play all the table with Camera n°1 exept for CV where I use Cam2.
For FH i'm still not decided cam1 is a bit too close, cam2 is a bit too far...
With the global camera number save it's a bit disapointed that all table don't have the same angle setting in views...
I personally don't have a problem with the angles, but I do wish they would make the angles consistant across all tables, unless, of course, a particular table has a radically different shape, such as if they did Pinball Circus, or Revenge From Mars.

Huffster

Jul 31, 2012
Got the update. I too find the TOM table and some other core tables too dark and contrasty now. Although, maybe I just need more time to acclimate. I think it's a very good idea to implement a user adjustable lighting slider in the future, due to the fact that lighting preference is so subjective. For now, I've found playing with my displays brightness and contrast setting can help my personal tastes. Also, if using HDMI there is a setting in the xbox itself for Standard, Intermediate, or expanded video levels that may help. One difficulty in developing graphics with darker scenes and lots of contrast is that everyone's display is not calibrated to the monitors at FarSight Studios. While the lighting may look perfect there, to us it seems out of balance. Maybe they could add a brightness and contrast calibration screen in the future?

Another idea I had is that if a slider could be created for adjusting the lighting, why not a slider for the camera angle view too?

In regards to the bounciness some mention, on certain tables, I personally don't find it to be an issue as the overall playability of the tables seem fine to me. Physics adjustments will be an ongoing task for the FarSight folks and the nice thing about the way the are distributing the game, it seems there will be frequent tweaks and updates that will occur. Lastly, don't forget as mentioned in the behind the scenes making of video HERE you can see they constantly reference real tables while adjusting physics.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
Also, if using HDMI there is a setting in the xbox itself for Standard, Intermediate, or expanded video levels that may help. One difficulty in developing graphics with darker scenes and lots of contrast is that everyone's display is not calibrated to the monitors at FarSight Studios. While the lighting may look perfect there, to us it seems out of balance. Maybe they could add a brightness and contrast calibration screen in the future?

90% of TV's should have their XBOX display set to " standard" Reference levels. Expanded causes black crush on most TV's, and should be used on PC monitors. I find a good reference level is the wooden back wall behind the pinball table: when your settings are too dark you can't see the wooden panels there and you basically only see the shadows.

Same as the PS3 setting Deep Color Output, which should be set on " off" for most TV's.

Members online

Members online