Doctor Who Kickstarter

mewzard

Apr 18, 2015
Farsight can't make a new ruleset unless they script the table which is next to impossible on such a complex table.

From what I read it looks like the regenerated Doctor Who table will just have different graphics, new sounds, added lights and added toys. Or like they said, an "intense mod" of the original table.

Would they be unable to modify the existing ROM? Keep the base game and some elements, while changing other elements?

hammr25

Oct 4, 2012
Too bad they can't update the front page of the campaign with this news. A person just finding the project would actually have to go to the updates tab to see this. It's also too bad they don't have any prototype models of the new stuff to advertise.

IGoFirstIndy

Jul 12, 2014
Too bad they can't update the front page of the campaign with this news. A person just finding the project would actually have to go to the updates tab to see this. It's also too bad they don't have any prototype models of the new stuff to advertise.

Agreed.

I upped my pledge. Hopefully it hits the goal. This is the perfect type of table for TPA play.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
Would they be unable to modify the existing ROM? Keep the base game and some elements, while changing other elements?

I'm pretty sure they can quite easily. After all, they have their website added to the DMD on games that have that. They also have had certain things removed in the past. I remember seeing something where all the rules and such load as a script onto their computer and they can just edit the rules and commands.

Flipperdeflip

Feb 17, 2015
I'm pretty sure they can quite easily. After all, they have their website added to the DMD on games that have that. They also have had certain things removed in the past. I remember seeing something where all the rules and such load as a script onto their computer and they can just edit the rules and commands.

• You can enter custom messages on most real DMD pinball tables in the Operator's Menu.
  • That was probably a scripted table like Black Knight still is.

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
Farsight's got the ability and expertise to make at least small ROM modifications. If you've built an entire emulation engine, you're going to be able to work inside the ROM that much.

But that doesn't mean it would be at all feasible to code a whole new game or expand an existing one that way. Assembly language coding is super tedious. Projects like Cactus Canyon Continued take years. If Farsight is doing anything, it'd be a fairly simple scripted rule set like Ghostbusters.

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
Upped my pledge from 15 to 50, using the old "just think of all the time I play TPA, that's not even a dollar a day, I pay more for a movie that I just see once" excuse :)
Let's try to get this thing over the finish line!

JPelter

Jun 11, 2012
I'm not really happy about things with TPA lately, but I do want the kickstarter to succeed so I tossed in $15 for this so I don't forget.

Flipperdeflip

Feb 17, 2015
It actually says on that graph why the projection is higher now.

"Projection data is always for the previous day's pledge total."

If there was a previous day with a low pledge total then the projection would be lower.

I don't know whether Super Bowl will influence the number of backers on Sunday evening EST, but the pledges on Monday and Tuesday will show how far we get, imo.

I saw on that Kicktraq that there were only 60 extra backers yesterday, making me believe that Farsight still haven't reached many Whovians.

mewzard

Apr 18, 2015
Well, outside of unusual circumstances, a Kickstarter tends to do its best on the first three days and the last three days (give or take a bit of time). Who knows, maybe there are a lot of people waiting to see how their finances are closer to completion (having clicked on the "Remind me" button, which reminds people a few days before things end), or maybe there will be a last-minute advertising push, or a new tier update that really entices people.

lettuce

Mar 17, 2012
What happened to all the issues in the past where FS said that they could deviate from the original artwork on the table??, such as adding in popular after market toys to the tables??. If they can do this what would stop them from changing artwork on licensed tables to bring them to TPA??, for example The Shadow, Independence Day, etc?

invitro

May 4, 2012
What happened to all the issues in the past where FS said that they could deviate from the original artwork on the table??, such as adding in popular after market toys to the tables??. If they can do this what would stop them from changing artwork on licensed tables to bring them to TPA??, for example The Shadow, Independence Day, etc?
Depending on the table: the name, the stuff in the ROMs, the sound, the toys, etc. Also, the manufacturer license probably doesn't allow selling of a version of The Shadow mangled enough ("The Dark Spot"?) so that there is no trace of The Shadow.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012

Don't know, but it's one of the questions we'll be asking Mike today at 12:30pm on blab.im for the BlahCade Podcast recording session. Anyone can watch, post comments live.

https://blab.im/blahcade-blahcade-podcast-why-video-game-movies-get-it-wrong

Flipperdeflip

Feb 17, 2015
And Steve still works for FarSight, just not AT FarSight.

Is he on the payroll or is he a contractor? Is he going to do the rom-hacking needed to create a different rule-set?
When I pay a car mechanic to fix my car then I don't tell people that I fixed my own car.

Well, outside of unusual circumstances, a Kickstarter tends to do its best on the first three days and the last three days (give or take a bit of time).

A kickstarter also tends to do its best during weekends, but today this KS only got half the pledges that it needs every day to succeed. If they don't reach the Whovians then I'm afraid it'll cost us current backers much to make it succeed.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.