Drain Monsters

9u1d0

Jan 7, 2013
Is it my playstyle, or are there some awefull drain monsters out there?
Space Shuttle, Firepower, Dr. Dude are probably my worst to control, any of you having the same?

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
CP seems to do a lot of outlane drains. I think this one might be harder than the IRL version, as in that one, I usually win at least one fight, and have made it up to fight 4 (which I quickly lost - MAJOR difficulty spike), but on TPA, I rarely win even one fight thanks to the outlanes, and the most I've won in a single game is two.

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
Fish Tales is the worst for me. Space Shuttle is frustrating at times, yes.

Zorgwon

Sep 14, 2013
Space Shuttle, Firepower, Dr. Dude are probably my worst to control, any of you having the same?
C1812
Genie

SSHTL is not the worst. Just the bumpers need some care. Might be device related.

WFurman

Apr 21, 2013

I've played Space Shuttle in real life (but not recently), and it seems that Farsight's recreation has a higher elevation and jet bumper power than the actual counterpart.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
I've played Space Shuttle in real life (but not recently), and it seems that Farsight's recreation has a higher elevation and jet bumper power than the actual counterpart.
Things such as elevation and jet bumper power are often table-specific issues, especially for a table as old as Space Shuttle. Bumpers tend to lose power over time, and as a playfield ages (or is poorly maintained) the ball speed slows down.
While we're on this, let's not forget PinBot: probably the single worst outlanes out there!

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
Pinbot, Star Trek and actually Centaur (However many of those come back into the inlane). I think Whirlwind tends to get more outlane drains than middle ones as well.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
I vote for STTNG. Not only are 90% of missed shots aimed at the outlanes, they just have to be aimed at the tops of the slingshots which act as giant funnels pointed directly out, which are then view blocked by the launchers.

Last edited:

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
Central Park. Everyone seems to forget this one but it has the lowest average ball time on any machine in the game!

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
ST:TNG and it's not close, especially as an accurate recreation of real life. Yes, folks, those outlanes are just as bad on the physical pin as they are in TPA!

Pin-Bot's issues stem not from the outlanes themselves, but from the fact that every plunger shot has to go into the bumpers and the bumpers have a nasty habit of firing the ball right down the outlanes. Sometimes outlanes get a bad rep when it's not all their fault!

CP has short ball-times but once you've got both Specials lit getting extra balls becomes trivial, most games I now max out my EBs, so one or two quick balls really don't matter when I have 23....

Zombie Aladdin

Mar 28, 2014
It's not so much the outlanes as it is the shape of the slingshots. If the ball ever lands atop a slingshot, it's going down the outlanes, as they are shaped to guide the ball down there. Although yes, the cannons do make it impossible to see where the ball is as well. It drives me nuts in Cactus Canyon too.

CP seems to do a lot of outlane drains. I think this one might be harder than the IRL version, as in that one, I usually win at least one fight, and have made it up to fight 4 (which I quickly lost - MAJOR difficulty spike), but on TPA, I rarely win even one fight thanks to the outlanes, and the most I've won in a single game is two.

That's my experience with The Champion Pub in a nutshell. Shooting the Door scoop is easier on the virtual one to me though.

9u1d0

Jan 7, 2013
C1812
Genie

SSHTL is not the worst. Just the bumpers need some care. Might be device related.

Well, on IOS having the ball coming from the jets, often after a plunger shot, the ball drains on the right or sdtm.
Seems impossible to nudge this away.

N

netizen

On 'droid with SSHTL I find you need to do a softer plunge to not get the deadly drain off the bumpers. I try and plunge so that the ball goes down the A of the U-S-A instead of a full plunge and risking the bumpershoot to the airlock.

Not sure if it's all psychsomatic but the game control seems to be better for me after that.

9u1d0

Jan 7, 2013
I found this vid, from sir_moovenstein of SSHTL on YT, PlayStation 3 version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSh55FoPJzc

Is it even possible to nudge like that on a tablet? When I touch the nudge areas on the screen as fast as he does on PS3 it is almost always TILT on my device immediately

Last edited:
N

netizen

Is it even possible to nudge like that on a tablet? When I touch the nudge areas on the screen twice as fast as he does on PS3 it is almost always TILT on my device immediately

If you're playing with a controller that allows for analogue nudging then yes.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts