DX11 Public Beta Bugs

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Haven't tried the new build yet, but just want to say that I'm loving the constant updates. Keep up the good work Mike!

JPelter

Jun 11, 2012
New build is up in public_beta. If you play in dark mode, try out the brighten ball option in the pba config and give your feedback. It's something I'm trying until I get a better solution from engine programmer.

Version 1.37.9
- Forced 60fps on DX11
- Fixed ball visiblity when on top of HH glass
- Added more resolutions to configuration utility
- Fixed UI in resolutions lower than 1080
- Added option in the config utility to brigthen the ball, default is off.
- Fixed messed up lamps on Dr Dude
- Fixed draw order on Medieval Madness pop bumpers
- Fixed ball shadows
- Art and tuning tweaks on JackBot (DX9 and DX11)

1200x1920 is now directly selectable from configure, but the camera is still in 9:16 mode, so the flippers get cut off partially on completely on almost all tables. If we could get the camera angles for 10:16 from DX9 ported over that'd be great!

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
That ball brightener is a good temp fix, Mike. It's not perfect obviously, but I think will work until The Mechanic works on the game engine. I specifically tested it out on POTO with 0% lighting as that table is uber dark, and I was able to follow the ball wherever it went.

I did notice that with the ball brightener selected, the tables take 5-10 seconds to load after being selected. Also, is this option only temporarily in the table config until you can work it into the game menu itself with the light sliders?

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Ball still needs to be brighter. It's better, but not quite there yet.
Cirqus Voltaire is broken. High Wire multiball just no longer works.
And as SYT stated, the tables take so long to load now, I thought it'd crashed.

Michael DiFilippo

Mar 26, 2012

I haven't tried the new build, but the tables taking longer to load is an issue on the Xbox One. I hope they're not merging other bugs into this pc build..

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012

Brighter? See to me any brighter and it'd push the believability out for me. Of course we know the answer to this...another slider! I can't get enough of them. I want one for table angle and for score display brightness too :)

I think if it was integrated into the engine, the idea would be that even if the ball went into dark areas and got darker itself, the highlights would still be nice and bright like in the pic posted a few up. Right now the ball dims a little and somewhat reflects the colored lights around it, but it looks like it is in a different environment. Like a weatherman standing against a green screen.

At this new brightness I don't find it distracting at all, there's just a slight unreality to me. If it were brighter I don't think I'd buy it at all. Like I said, good temp fix to me, a slider option would satisfy everyone until engine integration could be applied, but that is probably dependent on if turning it on and off has to be in the config setup if not.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
SYT. You seem to be seperating my desire for a brighter ball and your desire for nice bright highlights. To me, they're one in the same. I don't want a glowing lightbulb. I just want to be able see the most important part of the game. The current engine is just matching the ball with the darkness setting of the table without it reflecting the lights surrounding it.

As you said, in real life, the ball picks up EVERYTHING. It's a mirror. Turn off all the lights in a room. Turn on one bulb overhead, the ball will pick it up. And it won't be grey. It'll be as white as the bulb producing it.

Last edited:

Michael DiFilippo

Mar 26, 2012
1. The top portion of the default ball is still static and not entirely reflective to coincide with the native steel look. T2 skull ring a bell?!
2. I'm still having issues with my resolution. DX 11 specifically defaults to 1080p. I have to press Alt-Enter three times to get my monitors true resolution.
3. The tables take too long to load. (Present in XB1)
4. I can't navigate tables with the 360 joystick.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
So we are clear we are seeing the same thing, [MENTION=16]Fungi[/MENTION] ...

Without ball brightener.

AD40E116641DCE754F83F3824A717CEF59A03830

With ball brightener.

ED35607BED35E4519502E59CB7A8ACCE22AC930F

That's in the darkest place of the table, and I can spot it real easy. This is with room light at 0% and lights at 50%

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
So we are clear we are seeing the same thing, [MENTION=16]Fungi[/MENTION] ...

Without ball brightener.

AD40E116641DCE754F83F3824A717CEF59A03830

With ball brightener.

ED35607BED35E4519502E59CB7A8ACCE22AC930F

That's in the darkest place of the table, and I can spot it real easy. This is with room light at 0% and lights at 50%

I actually like that. I think that looks great. For some reason, I'm not seeing that. Either it's because I didn't try it on POTO, or the setting reset after relaunching the app because I thought it had crashed. I'm gonna try it again right now. Hold on... BRB

Last edited:

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Ok. I DO get that ball on POTO. And I like it. But here's what I'm getting on CV.

Capture_zps6nzsfuux.png

When FarSight matches the POTO ball across the board, I'll be a very happy pinballer.

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Hmmm, I'll have to check it on CV. I only tried it on MB and Whirlwind in addition to POTO and it was all good for those.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Ok, I just took a look at MB and Whirlwind. I like those as well. The only tables I tested were CV and CftBL. Both look too dark. What are the odds that the 2 tables I tested are the ones that look dark? TAF looks good too. Sigh. I really don't want to launch over 50 tables to test 'em. Especially considering the current load times.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I just ran through a bunch. Centaur, Cactus Canyon, Champion Pub, and BSD are all now playable with 0% lighting, which they weren't previously. I agree that CV for some reason isn't as shiny, but it's still miles better than it was. I looked at White Water and it's damn near perfect on that table. Same with Gorgar. Victory is another that benefits.

I don't know, maybe play with the bulb levels and see if that makes a difference. I know on some tables I need to go over 50%, while on others like CV I dropped it down to 35% (I don't like the Ring Master to look blown out).

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
Don't know if anyone reported this, but on Black Knight with the 3rd ball lock bug.... Calling the attendant results in a 'Ball not Stuck - Cancel attendant call' response, which means the ball won't lock or come out or anything, just click-clacks in the lock.

This issue has been talked about since its' release. It's too bad that in three years, nothing has been done about it.
It also took a very long time before the TZ ball-launch bug was fixed.

Also, ROM emulation for this table was discussed as being a possible 2014 upgrade. We all know how that went too.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
This issue has been talked about since its' release. It's too bad that in three years, nothing has been done about it.
It also took a very long time before the TZ ball-launch bug was fixed.

Also, ROM emulation for this table was discussed as being a possible 2014 upgrade. We all know how that went too.
Yeah, I've lost all hope of that... wasn't Gorgar and Firepower on the cards as well? And Black Hole? And I think I encountered the problem with the Ripley's extra ball on the third ball not getting recognised, causing the end game menu to appear with a ball still to be played :/

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.