DX11 Public Beta Bugs

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
Yeah, I've lost all hope of that... wasn't Gorgar and Firepower on the cards as well? And Black Hole? And I think I encountered the problem with the Ripley's extra ball on the third ball not getting recognised, causing the end game menu to appear with a ball still to be played :/

Another uncorrected-for-years bug. This seems to be par for the course.

I've had that happen after losing my first ball, and in another instance, lost a 1B point game because of it.

It's good that FarSight seems to be diligently tracking cosmetic bugs with the DX11 version. They should have been doing this years ago with game breaking errors-which are across all platforms.

nudnick

Apr 8, 2014
ALL tables have longer load time with this new build. Also noticing laggy parts on CV - ball dropping off of ring leader, right after you plunge, and when the table first comes right out of loading up ...

Current state of "bright ball" does make the ball easier to see.

Robert Misner

Oct 4, 2014
I find the weird ball slowdowns independent of the FPS of the game are gone the ball movement seems identical to dx9 again.
I as well am experiencing the really long load times
I've turned on the high ball visibility
I've Gone thru all of Season 4 and will work on 3 next.
I find the ball visibility is very good now on all of season 4 tables using The following Table Settings.

Phantom Of the Opera
Room Brightness 0%
Bulb 40%

Party Zone
Room 0%
Bulb 55%

Earthshaker
Room 5%
Bulb 55%

Starship Trooper
Room 0%
Bulb 40%

Addams Family
Room 0%
Bulb 55%

Cyclone
Room 5%
Bulb 55%

JackBot
Room 10%
Bulb 55%

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
This issue has been talked about since its' release. It's too bad that in three years, nothing has been done about it.
It also took a very long time before the TZ ball-launch bug was fixed.

Also, ROM emulation for this table was discussed as being a possible 2014 upgrade. We all know how that went too.

BK ball lock has been fixed, will be in the next build.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Hey Mike...

Even in this not quite finished state, you have pushed more fixes and user requests into this DX11 build than I've ever seen in TPA. Yeah, even more so than the PS3 super patch. I can't tell you how much I appreciate you not taking the easy way out, and I'm sure I'm not alone. You've taken the lumps this forum often dishes out and managed to shift opinions, which is no small feat.

So thank you. Never stop pushing. You're our FarSight hero.

greatdane

Feb 19, 2015
Good fix regarding the brigther ball. I was not an issue for me before but now I actually think it looks better.
I am guessing the slow load times are connected to locking the fps to 60... seen that problem on other games.
Maybe this has already been reported but Highwire multiball on CV is not working now, balls never release.

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
Is it just fixed in the PC or in other versions as well? I know this bug is present in Android, I assume it is present on other platforms too.

Will be on all patforms in their next patches. I'll be in tonights DX11 beta for testing (DX9 later)

Good fix regarding the brigther ball. I was not an issue for me before but now I actually think it looks better.
I am guessing the slow load times are connected to locking the fps to 60... seen that problem on other games.
Maybe this has already been reported but Highwire multiball on CV is not working now, balls never release.

I fixed the slow low times earlier this morning. It was the 60fps lock. Was holding it back from loading at full speed.

I'll look into CV

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Will be on all patforms in their next patches. I'll be in tonights DX11 beta for testing (DX9 later)

I fixed the slow low times earlier this morning. It was the 60fps lock. Was holding it back from loading at full speed.

I'll look into CV

Awesome Mike!
Now I want to know what a fps lock has to do with loading times.

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
I only managed a 10 min test tonight but the ball is certainly clearer. I felt it wasn't reacting to the table lights like before but that may have just been the tables I tried - like I said a brief test and I know it is a temp fix.

Maybe the fix for the ball is to make it like before but be able to define a minimum brightness level. eg: lock at 20% light when light drops below that amount. Just an idea and maybe that makes no sense to how the ball is programmed.

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
Awesome Mike!

I remember Future pinball had that issue years ago when setting VSync on. I guess the whole game runs at a slower speed rather than just the graphic updates, so a faster PC will load a file slowly when locked at 60fps. Again I might be talking out of my ar*e.

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
Awesome Mike!

When you load in resources you update the app in between. If you lock to 60fps, then any time not used in the 16.667ms frame, is waited on. SO say you load a file in 1ms, there are 15.667ms left in the frame. It'll wait till those ms are up before loading the next file. Thus making each file take 17ms to load instead of 1.

The fix was to not lock the framerate unless we are in the table ready to play.

New build will be later today. I usually make them between 3 and 5pm PST, depending one when I'm done for the day. Today, probably closer to 5.

Pinballs

Feb 20, 2014
Really nice with all these updates and fixes.. You are doing great work Mike :)

DX11: The background images on the Table Select Screen look stretched and zoomed in...

DMD frame: Would it be possible to make a slider to adjust the Opacity (transparency) of the DMD?
or maybe just being able to turn the frame off.
I get image retention of the frame of the DMD.

The DX11 version of The Pinball Arcade is simply amazing! Thank you :)

Last edited:

_gl

Jul 5, 2012
Woohoo, 2560 resolution is back, and new 'Brighter Ball' config! Works, but the ball is now too bright with darks rooms imo. No longer looks realistic. Is there a happy medium?

BTW @Farsight, it's great that you're listening and fixing bugs. But I've been meaning to talk about your 'beta testing' lately. I spent years beta testing, for people like MS, Adobe etc. I think it's absolutely crazy that games companies like you expect people to _pay_ to be testers. Early access I get, but quality testing is a skill and should be rewarded, not charged! A good tester knows exactly what the devs need to know, how to use tools and give quality reports. They're worth their weight in gold, and you won't get them by making them pay you! Every thing I've tested gave me the software free plus the odd perk. In my case I'm a programmer so my reports were even more useful (knowing exactly what the dev needs to know, often suggesting possible causes). I get that you have to fill Kickstarter rewards somehow, but you should have a proper test team that you reward, not the other way 'round.

nudnick

Apr 8, 2014
Woohoo, 2560 resolution is back, and new 'Brighter Ball' config! Works, but the ball is now too bright with darks rooms imo. No longer looks realistic. Is there a happy medium?

BTW @Farsight, it's great that you're listening and fixing bugs. But I've been meaning to talk about your 'beta testing' lately. I spent years beta testing, for people like MS, Adobe etc. I think it's absolutely crazy that games companies like you expect people to _pay_ to be testers. Early access I get, but quality testing is a skill and should be rewarded, not charged! A good tester knows exactly what the devs need to know, how to use tools and give quality reports. They're worth their weight in gold, and you won't get them by making them pay you! Every thing I've tested gave me the software free plus the odd perk. In my case I'm a programmer so my reports were even more useful (knowing exactly what the dev needs to know, often suggesting possible causes). I get that you have to fill Kickstarter rewards somehow, but you should have a proper test team that you reward, not the other way 'round.

nah ... we've been waiting a long time for DX11 in TPA on the PC. I'm happy to be a part of this and happy that I'm finally seeing things through DX11 ... I could care less if I'm paying for this ... a happy meal at McDonalds cost more than purchasing a table

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
They do have testers that didn't pay. I'm one of 'em. The people that did pay did so by choice. It was a win/win.

_gl

Jul 5, 2012
- mouse cursor not hidden (windowed or fullscreen).

- Scared Stiff: flasher lighting bug, texture cuts off hard:

lighting%20bug_zpsjan92dno.jpg

BTW, should the two front monsters not move?

_gl

Jul 5, 2012
They do have testers that didn't pay. I'm one of 'em. The people that did pay did so by choice. It was a win/win.

Your call. I'll report the odd bug because like you I care about the game. But I used to spend far more time doing much better reports when I tested properly. You don't get that for free, nor should you.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts