DX11 Public Beta Bugs

Crazy Newt

Dec 2, 2012
Windows 7
i7 3770K
nVidia GTX 770 2MB
16GB ram

I have two 1920x1080 60Hz monitors, but no matter what I've attempted so far in either the PBA Launch Utility or the nVidia, the game always comes up windowed with black bars on either side, and if I select CTRL+ENTER for full screen, the monitor reports a resolution at 1600x1200. The monitor does not support this height, and it looks as if the image is 1600x600 at full screen.

I realize this is just a beta, and that windowed mode is the only option that is currently available, but is the resolution locked for the beta? I've disable one of the monitors, tried launching the configuration from within Steam, the system tray, and the folder location. I can't get the DX11 version to change at all, no matter what options I have selected, it always comes up the same way. Also, I am not seeing any difference when setting MSAA to the maximum values of the lowest. It always looks the same. It plays fine, but is a bit fuzzy looking.

Anyone have any ideas?

JPelter

Jun 11, 2012
Windows 7
i7 3770K
nVidia GTX 770 2MB
16GB ram

I have two 1920x1080 60Hz monitors, but no matter what I've attempted so far in either the PBA Launch Utility or the nVidia, the game always comes up windowed with black bars on either side, and if I select CTRL+ENTER for full screen, the monitor reports a resolution at 1600x1200. The monitor does not support this height, and it looks as if the image is 1600x600 at full screen.

I realize this is just a beta, and that windowed mode is the only option that is currently available, but is the resolution locked for the beta? I've disable one of the monitors, tried launching the configuration from within Steam, the system tray, and the folder location. I can't get the DX11 version to change at all, no matter what options I have selected, it always comes up the same way. Also, I am not seeing any difference when setting MSAA to the maximum values of the lowest. It always looks the same. It plays fine, but is a bit fuzzy looking.

Anyone have any ideas?

Confirming somewhat similar problems. My monitor is 1920x1200. I set my resolution to 1920x1280 in the DX11 tab, and the game always has slim black bars on the top and bottom of the screen.

Michael DiFilippo

Mar 26, 2012
I think this is the first of several waves in the beta process. Meaning right now FS locked dowm the utility options to have us focused merely on gameplay. Then theyll ask us to test other areas. My humble opinion.

Michael DiFilippo

Mar 26, 2012
@ Mike.

What is\isnt locked down at the moment? I too havent noticed any difference using the launch utility.

Which areas of improvement should we currently stay focused in? Then what next..?

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
I found a bug where the config utility was saving the settings file to the wrong location. I've fixed that and in this evenings build it should work properly.

A temporary work around is look for the dx11_settings.dat file, most likely in your pinball arcade steam installation and move it to your save file in My Games\Pinball Arcade.

This is why the back buffer is stuck in 1920x1080. Also why portrait isn't working for you.

Also note, the first 3 tabs on the config utility are for DX9 ONLY, they do not modify the settings for DX11, which is it's own tab. Once i have stuff like full screen working, I'll add that to the DX11 tab.

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
If we have already downloaded the open beta, will steam update tonight automatically?Or will we need to manually grab beta download again?

As long as you are still set to the beta it will auto download any updated. Sometimes a restart of steam client is needed to get it to update once a build is out.l

Robert Misner

Oct 4, 2014
deleted both dx11_settings.dat files and let the program recreate it and pasted it into the missing folder and Portrait mode is now working great.
using ALT+Enter 3 times gets to fullscreen with no distortion ..(maybe its actually fullscreen window)
Amazing how good this looks now compared to landscape

DarkMatt

May 5, 2013
The game won't even start for me. It crashes and my computer lags for a bit afterwards. Can only imagine it's my graphics card complaining. I dunno what to give for information, so ask and I'll fetch it.

Most I've done is try running it from a clean My Games folder. Nothing changed.

R

Rhandos

B) Why can't FarSight seem to incorporate sound quality with the jump in graphic quality. The jump in graphic quality from the PS3 to the PS4 destroyed the sound (evidently it's still botched), and this seems to be the case on PC too, though not quite to the same extent as the PS4 version. I'd be more enthusiastic if FarSight's upgrades actually did upgrade the overall experience.
I had the impression that the audio did improve on almost all tables...? It sounds less jangly/tinny to me almost everywhere I tried. Can anyone confirm this or am I going crazy?

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
Thanks for the portrait workaround Mike. I am finding by playing on the same screen in portrait versus the landscape mode some tables appear even lighter even on 0% lighting. I guess it is an illusion related to the angle we are viewing the table at. I have my TV set on dark settings but would it possible to make the slider go even darker? It is almost there but some tables are still too light. Not sure what others think?

Edit:
If I look at CV on the PS4 in dark mode, it doesn't look as dark on the PC in portrait nor landscape mode. Extra darkness and adjustable table lights illumination would really make a difference.

PS4 version:

Last edited:

DarkMatt

May 5, 2013
That would be an NVidia GTX 260 and oops that does mean it's a bit too old does it?

Nuts. Oh well. Thanks for the support.

Robert Misner

Oct 4, 2014
I think we should add in some calibration pics to ensure everyone testing has set their display to the same contrast and brightness setting that matches up with what Mike and their team are using.

this site's images might do just fine.

specifically this image you should adjust your brightness so you just barely see the drop shadow in full screen

thx-brightness-pattern-100538283-orig.jpg

and this image you can use to adjust your contrast you should see 8 shades of white boxes in full screen

thx-contrast-pattern-100538286-orig.jpg

Save a copy on of the pictures on your computer and view them fullscreen before adjusting your settings.

Nearly

Apr 15, 2015
While in the main menu of the game in Landscape mode, clicking 'Exit Game' had no effect. I was forced to invoke the Task Manager to shut the game down. I'm not sure if that's a DX11 issue though. I normally play in portrait, so I can't say if it's unusual. At the same time, the menu screen stated that it was vs 1.37.5 DX9 when I was in the DX11 Beta.

I also got a bit of black strobe effect across a rectangular segment of the screen when the lights flashed in tandem while playing Dracula. However, my graphics card sometimes causes artefacts, so it could be unrelated to Pinball Arcade DX11.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts