DX11 Public Beta Bugs

Alex Atkin UK

Sep 26, 2012
... those who are not willing to buy a decent PC can still play DX9 version ...

Agreed.

While I had kinda hoped DX11 would be more efficient and scale DOWN to low-end hardware better than DX9 does. If I had to choose I would push for DX11 to aim for greater realism over scalability.

The fact it is barely taxing my GTX 660 and still far from photo realistic however, begs the question of if they are doing enough to make this game authentic.

That is before we get into the argument of physics accuracy.

Last edited:

Alex Atkin UK

Sep 26, 2012
In the Xenon beta, we are currently also testing new flipper physics for that table only. FarSight seems to be making an effort to step things up, so we're getting there.

That's good to hear. I was hoping they would go all-out on the DX11 build seeing as they can set a baseline specification for that build while still catering for those of us with low-end hardware in the DX9 build.

Bearing in mind I mostly play on my Asus T100, I want DX11 to be as authentic as possible to give me a worthwhile reason to play on my desktop PC. The Beta doesn't seem to like WINE so I would have to boot into Windows.

Longi

May 30, 2013
Hi Mike, i noticed that left nudge (left ALT) didn't work under DX11.
The same button worked under DX9!! :confused:
Can you fix that please? Or have someone a solution?

PALADiN

Aug 14, 2013
Hi Mike, i noticed that left nudge (left ALT) didn't work under DX11.
The same button worked under DX9!! :confused:
Can you fix that please? Or have someone a solution?

This could possibly be related to fullscreen not working in DX11 at the moment.

PALADiN

Aug 14, 2013
Yet at the same time, the Start still functions as I press the Enter key.

Alt is generally considered a Windows system key for apps that arent full screen. This is not the case with Enter which is why that key works as intended.

seattlemark

Jan 8, 2013
I am having problems with DX11 with joy2key. I was having problems with DX9 and joy2key, but that's "magically" resolved for me per my post in a DX9 thread of http://digitalpinballfans.com/showt...ince-DX11-beta?p=208102&viewfull=1#post208102 (I use it for some additional nudge keys.)

Is anyone else currently successfully using joy2key to map keyboard letters into DX11 TPA (using a 360 controller).?

I found what has been causing my problem with Joy2Key. Details in this post of mine: http://digitalpinballfans.com/showt...ree-Camera-Mod?p=208128&viewfull=1#post208128

suffocater

Apr 4, 2015
Sound Bug on Victory:

No Music at all, except for the short time when the ball is in captive spots and then not every time. I started DX9 directly after the DX11 game and Music played normally through the game. Seems to happen only in DX11.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Hmmm, seems there's a sound issue happening then, what with Whirlwind having music issues too. Wonder what other tables are affected.

Michael DiFilippo

Mar 26, 2012
I have a stereo hooked up with hdmi and when I play AF, the pop bumpers make a high pitch cracking sound. The reason I mention this is because I remember for the longest time that there were stereo issues with the ps4. The issue is almost nonexistent on a normal monitor or tv.

davidhbrown

Aug 2, 2014
Anyone else find that the first game you try is slow but others are okay?

I've been having an odd slowdown that typically affects only the first game or two I play. For example, I started off playing White Water and the emulation was around 50% speed. Tried the next dozen games up the list and all were running full speed, even tried Cirqus Voltaire which more often than others runs slow for me and it was good, too. Quit and restarted with Cirqus and it was slow (always seems to have a too-bright-yellow neon tube when I start it first); most others were okay; White Water was maybe around 80%. Then back to Cirqus and it was mostly okay; sometimes slow depending on what was happening.

My system is admittedly a bit unusual. Windows 8.1 pro; i7-4770 CPU; Quadro K2000 for graphics; 32GB RAM. Three monitor setup; primary is only 30Hz, but TPA is on a 1200x1920 monitor running at 60Hz. Using the 1.37.12 beta and NVIDIA's latest "performance" driver (clean installed).

Bruno

Apr 30, 2014
Anyone else find that the first game you try is slow but others are okay?

I've been having an odd slowdown that typically affects only the first game or two I play. For example, I started off playing White Water and the emulation was around 50% speed. Tried the next dozen games up the list and all were running full speed, even tried Cirqus Voltaire which more often than others runs slow for me and it was good, too. Quit and restarted with Cirqus and it was slow (always seems to have a too-bright-yellow neon tube when I start it first); most others were okay; White Water was maybe around 80%. Then back to Cirqus and it was mostly okay; sometimes slow depending on what was happening.

My system is admittedly a bit unusual. Windows 8.1 pro; i7-4770 CPU; Quadro K2000 for graphics; 32GB RAM. Three monitor setup; primary is only 30Hz, but TPA is on a 1200x1920 monitor running at 60Hz. Using the 1.37.12 beta and NVIDIA's latest "performance" driver (clean installed).

Your 600$ GPU is too weak for a pinball game. You have to invest in a better one. The game is perfectly optimized. You could also downgrade to a GTX 960 or 970, people have been reporting no problem running the game with those cards.

Last edited:

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Your 600$ GPU is too weak for a pinball game. You have to invest in a better one. The game is perfectly optimized. You could also downgrade to a GTX 960 or 970, people have been reporting no problem running the game with those cards.

A Quadro K2000 is a workstation GPU that is not optimized for gaming. If you're doing video editing or a lot of Photoshop work it's fantastic. If you're playing games, not so much: it's no better than a low-end GPU in that regard.

As the developer has mentioned more than once in this and other threads, DX11 is GPU-intensive. If you want to jack up the settings then yes, you will need to spend $250+ on a GPU. It's the same for any other current game out there. Go look at the current recommended specs for Witcher 3 - that's pretty much "if you don't have a $350 GPU, don't expect high settings". As has been explained, anyone who thinks along the lines of "hey, it's just a single, static, pinball table, how hard can it be on my GPU" doesn't know the full story and hasn't been listening.

FWIW: My system at home is as follows, and I can run DX11 @ 1080x1920 smoothly at 60fps, including "problem" tables such as CV:
- Intel i7 2600 (Quad-core 3.4Ghz); an older CPU, getting on for 4 years old, but it was top-end at the time and it's still good to go;
- Gigabyte Windforce GTX760 (getting on for 2 years old, but it's as quiet as a mouse);
- 8Gb RAM;
- Windows 7 64-bit.

I for one don't believe that there's any bias towards nVidia or away from AMD; as has been previously mentioned, both the XONE and PS4 have AMD GPUs, and the PC DX11 build is based on the XONE build, so why would there be some perceived difficulty with AMD GPUs? I think the issue is that right now AMD are lagging behind Intel/nVidia in general, almost all of the recommended GPUs are nVidias and CPUs are Intels.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I have zero issues with slow down on my computer, and it's pushing 6 years old...

Intel Core2 Duo 3.4 GHz, 4GB Ram, running 64bit Win 8.1 Pro. Graphics is Nvidia GeForce GTX 670

Bruno

Apr 30, 2014
A Quadro K2000 is a workstation GPU that is not optimized for gaming. If you're doing video editing or a lot of Photoshop work it's fantastic. If you're playing games, not so much: it's no better than a low-end GPU in that regard.

As the developer has mentioned more than once in this and other threads, DX11 is GPU-intensive. If you want to jack up the settings then yes, you will need to spend $250+ on a GPU. It's the same for any other current game out there. Go look at the current recommended specs for Witcher 3 - that's pretty much "if you don't have a $350 GPU, don't expect high settings". As has been explained, anyone who thinks along the lines of "hey, it's just a single, static, pinball table, how hard can it be on my GPU" doesn't know the full story and hasn't been listening.

FWIW: My system at home is as follows, and I can run DX11 @ 1080x1920 smoothly at 60fps, including "problem" tables such as CV:
- Intel i7 2600 (Quad-core 3.4Ghz); an older CPU, getting on for 4 years old, but it was top-end at the time and it's still good to go;
- Gigabyte Windforce GTX760 (getting on for 2 years old, but it's as quiet as a mouse);
- 8Gb RAM;
- Windows 7 64-bit.

I for one don't believe that there's any bias towards nVidia or away from AMD; as has been previously mentioned, both the XONE and PS4 have AMD GPUs, and the PC DX11 build is based on the XONE build, so why would there be some perceived difficulty with AMD GPUs? I think the issue is that right now AMD are lagging behind Intel/nVidia in general, almost all of the recommended GPUs are nVidias and CPUs are Intels.

So, I guess Mike will change recommended settings from AMD HD 7770 to HD 7950, while a gtx560 is still more than enough. Even a gtx465 can still run this game perfectly. Recommended settings only increased for AMD users. So, if you are poor, buy a cheap Nvidia GPU. Personally, I'm not downgrading to a cheap Nvidia GPU or getting the equivalent of what I already have just for PA, I'll buy a GTX960 4GB this summer that will also allow me to play games that really require it. Until then, not playing PA anymore.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts