DX11 Public Beta Now Available

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
I usually set the brightness to 10 percent.
I really like it how the new lighting affects the look of the ramps.
Diner & Cyclone look way better now. The lighting adds depth to Cyclone.
However the ramps on CTBL and Partyzone still look bad.
I hope they redo CTBL asap, like mpad mentioned in the other thread.

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
The DX9 exe is always locked to 60fps because the game's physics engine is tied to that number. It seems the DX11 one hasn't been locked down yet, which will fix the speedup issues when that happens. The slowdowns are most likely either bugs or hardware that isn't fast enough to handle the new lighting. No real way to know.

As I've said before, I have an HP Envy with:
AMD A10-7700 Radeon R7 processor 3.4 ghZ
12 GB RAM
AMD Radeon R7 Graphics

Since many of you have more powerful and up-to-date rigs than this, I'd like to know if you're dealing with slowdown as well.
So I can find a graphics card that can handle DX11 TPA. No hurry though.

Note: It handles DX9 and my other games at a smooth 60 FPS. Mortal Kombat "9" runs at 60 FPS at max setting of 1280x768 on this as well. Note: I've tried the 1920x1080 on DX9, and also sported a 60 FPS rate.

JPelter

Jun 11, 2012
As I've said before, I have an HP Envy with:
AMD A10-7700 Radeon R7 processor 3.4 ghZ
12 GB RAM
AMD Radeon R7 Graphics

Since many of you have more powerful and up-to-date rigs than this, I'd like to know if you're dealing with slowdown as well.
So I can find a graphics card that can handle DX11 TPA. No hurry though.

Note: It handles DX9 and my other games at a smooth 60 FPS. Mortal Kombat "9" runs at 60 FPS at max setting of 1280x768 on this as well. Note: I've tried the 1920x1080 on DX9, and also sported a 60 FPS rate.

Well I have no slowdowns whatsoever, but I also have a fairly high-end system so it's not probably going to help that much to determine how much you actually need at a minimum.
i5 3570k overclocked to 4.4G with 16G ram and Nvidia GTX 970, Windows 7 64b.

Crawley

Mar 25, 2013
Was surprised this made as big of a difference as it has. The tables really do look a lot nicer with the lights. Circus Voltaire in particular is really night and day experience between the DX9 and DX11 versions.
My sweet spot for setting the room light seems to be 20%. Can still see the ball clearly and get the light show.

No issues with slowdowns/speedups or anything else so far - I do have a beefy rig. And haven't noticed any bugs other than some of the ones mentioned.

otto4711

Nov 6, 2013
the new lighting creates a completly new pinball experience :D
with my system:
amd hd 7850 and an intel i5 4670 it runs very smooth
(1920x1080 max gfx settings)

with alt + enter u can switch to a full screen mode
(may be its a "window" full screen mode, but runs without problems)

pa is the most expansive pc game i've ever bought :cool: ( 4 x 27.99 € )

Robert Misner

Oct 4, 2014
Everyone in the Beta should enable Steams Built in FPS counter. in the general Steam -->Settings-->In-Game section
I find the game is running at 60fps solid no dips but the ball does sometimes seem...slow..or more accurately like the slope of the table is less in this then the Dx9 Versions.
I'd be curious if those experiencing slowdowns are actually losing frames..

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
Technical question: Would this include streams?

Yes, please don't stream yet. Essentially we would prefer to not have video or screenshots out of stuff that isn't finished. Someone who hasn't played the game might be turned off by bugs that we are currently fixing.

francis247uk

Jul 7, 2012
This is a brilliant upgrade, many thanks Mike and the team - Really like the lighting slider and the pink hue being gone. PC has the best graphics and sound of all versions I reckon; Now time to to upgrade my PC to get this running perfectly! (Now purchased the remaining seasons I hadn't before)

Last edited:

utblick

Feb 14, 2013
Possible solution for graphics slowdown on Nvidia;
Manually set the file Pinballarcade11.exe to use Nvidia graphics instead of integrated graphics. This is done in Nvidia 3D settings.

I had to do this for my laptop with Nvidia 840m Graphics, otherwise TPA used the Intel 4400 graphics resulting in very poor performance.

And THANKS Mike and Farsight for TPA with DirectX 11 :)

Last edited:

JPelter

Jun 11, 2012
Manually set the file Pinballarcade11.exe to use Nvidia graphics instead of integrated graphics. This is done in Nvidia 3D settings.

I had to do this for my laptop with Nvidia 840m Graphics, otherwise TPA used the Intel 4400 graphics resulting in very poor performance.

And THANKS Mike and Farsight for TPA with DirectX 11 :)

Further with modern motherboards you can actually turn off integrated graphics entirely in BIOS if you're using a separate graphics card, and you absolutely should. Some programs try to use both simultaneously to help out with the calculations but in effect it slows everything doing it down significantly if your real graphics card is any good.

Gozer

Jun 10, 2013
Yes, please don't stream yet. Essentially we would prefer to not have video or screenshots out of stuff that isn't finished. Someone who hasn't played the game might be turned off by bugs that we are currently fixing.

I posted a screen shot of those dark rectangles effecting cirqus voltaire in the DX11 bug thread. Is that cool or should I remove that screen shot?

mewzard

Apr 18, 2015
Everyone in the Beta should enable Steams Built in FPS counter. in the general Steam -->Settings-->In-Game section
I find the game is running at 60fps solid no dips but the ball does sometimes seem...slow..or more accurately like the slope of the table is less in this then the Dx9 Versions.
I'd be curious if those experiencing slowdowns are actually losing frames..

I did seem to be sticking in the 35-40 FPS range for the most part on tables (vs 59-61 in the normal game). Could explain the slowdown I suppose.

dingo99

Apr 16, 2014

Applies to desktops too, but there's no setting to fix it in the desktop version of Nvidia control panel. I have a multi-monitor setup using a dedicated Nvidia card and Intel 4600 graphics. Obviously, I play games only on the Nvidia, and the setup works fine for 99% of games I play (including TPA DX9). Not TPA DX11, unfortunately...

If I have my desktop stretched across both adapters, TPA DX11 runs very slowly despite being displayed only on the Nvidia. If I configure Windows to show my desktop only on the Nvidia, then TPA DX11 runs fine.

switch3flip

Jan 30, 2013
Yes I think I'm on my way!
When checking nvidia 3d settingsfor different programs, pinballarcade11.exe wasn't even in the list! I had to manually add it to run under nvidia!
Only problem is I have the speed up bug now instead!
But anway thats probably easier to solve!
Thanks to [MENTION=2098]utblick[/MENTION] for the tip!

Edit: Ok now I set dx11 settings to highest, as they were to begin with, and it works!

Edit: Okay now I'm getting occasional slow downs during playing, don't know what activates them. But that's for fine tuning.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.