DX11 Public Beta Now Available

Crazy Newt

Dec 2, 2012
While I have a PS4 hooked up to a 52" 1080p TV, I was still very impressed with DX11 version on my 27" 1080p monitor. Considering the viewing distance, they are very similar in size from a playing perspective.

That said, I was really impressed with Medieval Madness with the new lighting effects. I match the game lighting as close I can with my room, which is around 20%, and the experience was vastly improved. I forget just how much pinball is about the visuals (and audio), and not simply about hitting the ball correctly.

I'm excited all over again about Pinball Arcade, almost as if it was being released for the first time. This is a significant improvement to me. I didn't think that it would be, but I was wrong.

For whatever reason, selecting ALT+ENTER 3 times allows the game to play in full screen at 1920x1080. The game initially comes up windowed with black bars on the sides, but the aspect ratio is fine. If I select ALT+ENTER to go into full screen, the game aspect is funky and my monitor display information shows the resolution as 1600x1200. I just select ALT+ENTER to go back to Windowed mode, and ALT+ENTER again and the full screen works as expected at my monitor's native resolution and the setting I have chosen in the launch utility's DX11 tab.

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
My wife's laptop isn't powerful enough(Intel HD 4000 graphics card) to run it very well, but sweet mother it looks good!

dave950lam

Apr 20, 2012
DX11 would appear to have vsync disabled by default (hopefully that will be remedied).

If you're experiencing speed-up issues, probably your monitor is >60hz. Either force your monitor to 60hz OR (better) change your GPU settings for pinballarcadedx11.exe to set vsync to "On".

If you're experiencing slow-down... not sure. Maybe your rig isn't powerful enough, but maybe not, because I've seen people report slow-down on rigs that should be able to handle DX11 without a problem.

My Computer should be able to run ok since I just did the dxdiag and I have DX11.

hitman12

Jun 11, 2014
Installed on Acer Aspire with GT710m,game is playable but some tables running very smooth,on some tables unstable framerate but i guess this is beta fault,example - AFM running at 30-40 fps but TAF running very good.

oqvist

Nov 23, 2013
Really cool much better!

I have been away from Arcade so bear with me but it seems even when I enable v-sync it runs faster? Or have I just gotten older ;)
I get double taps now when selecting the boards. Also got some jack-bot teaser but it´s for tomorrow I guess.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Really cool much better!

I have been away from Arcade so bear with me but it seems even when I enable v-sync it runs faster? Or have I just gotten older ;)
I get double taps now when selecting the boards. Also got some jack-bot teaser but it´s for tomorrow I guess.

vsync only kicks in if you force fullscreen with Alt+Enter. I think instead of vsync you can also force the GPU to use a set refresh rate, but I think using vsync is better (because?).

lio

Jul 24, 2013
Wow! Really nice! Love it so far!

I hope you are going to add 16:10 resolutions back in (1920x1200 / 3840x2400).

TAF seems to be missing some GI light below the slingshot plastics as only the lower part of them seems to be illuminated.
One other thing I noticed on TAF is that most of the mansion light inserts have two bulb "halos" and look as if there were two bulbs beneath the insert even though in reality there's only one.

Generally I think the GI "radius" is probably a bit low - anything below 25% room brightness leaves the tables too dark in my opinion but it sure looks awesome!
On some tables the ball looks really dark for some reason but overall I really really like the DX11 version - there's no way back to DX9 after having tasted this! :)

Last edited:

Larry

Jul 4, 2013
Jaw dropping!

Well done Farsight! Each and every one of ya!!
This earns a serious THANK YOU from me!

Gushing aside, this quality and experience is the reason I pay the bucks for high-end hardware! Thanks guys for making it sing!
Head-to-head? What what?!?
Insert label edges seem a bit odd with the glow effect and I think 0% room brightness is WAY too bright... but who's counting

AMD 1045 cpu @2.5
4GB RAM
Win 8.1
ATI 7770 Graphics 1GB O/B

Flawless (so far)
EDIT:Black Hole = lag (follow up in bug thread)

I will now indulge myself with a full day of just enjoying the crap out of every table in the list again like it was the first time I've ever played it...scores schmores, this is freaking gorgeous!!

B-E-autiful

Last edited:

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Finally had the time to try out portrait dx11 in my cab.
I have to say: Eldorado still looks like crap.
Just joking.
Marvelous job there Farsight!
Really breathes life into this. Great with the sliders and all.
I noticed some extreme good top views for portrait on some tables with cam3. did you already adjust cam views in dx11? example champion pub.
on some tables the round elements looked a bit eliptical...maybe this has to do with the cam too? emaple ToM.

Overall:Great
Best thing for me ist the pink gone (can't stress this enough)

running super smooth on 1080p portrait all maxed out: i5, 4GB, 560ti, ssd

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Now that you mention it. I'm finding some odd blooming effect going on with El Dorado around the flippers.

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
One possible and hopefully easy solution for the dark ball. The ball illuminates and fades as it passes lights, etc. Can a minimum illumination threshold be set so it always reflecst at least say a 20% light?

wolfson

May 24, 2013
how great is JACK-BOT and what about the bulb slider ,how great is that !! i can go to heaven or hell a happy little vegemite !!! :cool: anyone that complains about the PC needs his or her head checked for termites on the brain !!! :eek:

pm1109

Dec 18, 2013
how great is JACK-BOT and what about the bulb slider ,how great is that !! i can go to heaven or hell a happy little vegemite !!! :cool: anyone that complains about the PC needs his or her head checked for termites on the brain !!! :eek:

Finally a good table after TAF

wolfson

May 24, 2013
TO THE BOYS AND GIRLS AT FARSIGHT A BIG THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART.A JOB WELL DONE !!! THIS OLD BASTARD HAS THE BIGGEST SMILE YOU HAVE EVER SEEN !!! THANKS A BUNDLE !!! XOXOXO :cool:

_gl

Jul 5, 2012
Attack from Mars is just stunning with room @ 20% (on my AdobeRGB calibrated wide-gamut monitor anyway, the saturated colours work great). It's my favourite table anyway, but the light show on it + the new engine is just superb. The best demo of it from what I've seen so far, though I also like it on Terminator.

20% is my goto room brightness, it's very balanced on my screen, I can still see the ball but the lights really pop. Lights on some tables are slightly overbright, with the colours of backlit shapes starting to blow out (like overexposure). eg. AfM was like that on the last version (haven't checked on the latest). On those I back the lights off to 40-45%. I think they should be tweaked down slightly to avoid that effect.

I find that the tables I didn't like the gameplay/sounds on before aren't much improved by the new lighting. And the colours on some are drastically different (not in a good way) with the new general illumination, eg. Theatre of Magic which doesn't look good to me now, or STnextgen, which doesn't look right/'special' yet. I think the lights can be tuned slightly to look better. And some tables still have that 'cartooney' vibe (oversaturated/overbright lights & artwork colours).

But the best tables like Afm, just wow. Worth it for those alone.

Last edited:

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts