DX11 Public Beta Now Available

seattlemark

Jan 8, 2013
The issue with CV does not respond to graphics settings.

Conclusion-It is a pre-rendering issue

The reason I'm trying to keep things as bare bones as possible is this setup is perfect for sniffing out hitches and provides a good reference for someone who I could possible help having issues in the future...

I know FarSight said they were picking up an AMD card for internal testing, I also know some of us setup odd driver versions in the past to get the most out of certain settings (this game and others), I wonder aloud if that can help us pin down the exact nature of the problem.

As I take a quick peek in the old device manager *gasp* my ATI card driver is version 8.97.10.6 from 6-20-2012 hmmmm wtf was I doing...I will update and re-test later today.

Hi Larry,
FYI, I am using the current AMD drivers and still having that extreme performance issue with Cirqus that I do not have with DX9.

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
I'm sure it's due to the fact that I have to use the minimum settings for DX11, and 1368x766 resolution, but does the PC version always look this soft?

Locksley

Jan 2, 2015
I read some problems with the early betas with problem with DPI scaling? So I turned that off for the Dx11 exe.

Also, if you are not running in "native" resolution for an LCD monitor it will look a bit soft.

Short answer: Nope, mine is sharp.

Larry

Jul 4, 2013
Thanks Seattlemark, that actually helps me a bunch because I cannot for life of me remember which game I was screwing with to have used that driver and am paranoid I'll blow something up trying.

Too bad too because CV is sort of a guilty pleasure for me

seattlemark

Jan 8, 2013
Thanks Seattlemark, that actually helps me a bunch because I cannot for life of me remember which game I was screwing with to have used that driver and am paranoid I'll blow something up trying.

Too bad too because CV is sort of a guilty pleasure for me

Larry, I am using the regular non-Beta AMD Catalyst Download (which for my 64bit Windows 7 can be gotten to at: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows+7+-+64)

Currently, it's tagged there as Catalyst Software Suite, Revision Number Omega 4.12, Release Date 12/8/2014. And then further down the page it says: Display Driver ver. 14.501.1003, OpenCL(tm) Driver, Catalyst Control Center

In AMD Catalyst Control Center, for DX9 I have been using all the defaults other than: Anti-Aliasing Mode = Override applications settings; Anti-Aliasing = 12x, Filter=Edge Detect, Anti-Aliasing=Supersampling, Morpohological Filtering=Off

For DX11, I have been trying to tweak these values, but so far my same DX9 values seem to have the same results (or better) than everything else I have tried. However when using these as is, I cannot go past MSAA Samples=4 or it causes slow down on all the DX11 tables.

(For both DX9 and DX11, I am running in either 1080x1920 or 1920x1080, as those match the default of my R7770 video card.)

Last edited:

dave950lam

Apr 20, 2012
Using dx11, as one of those with a weaker card (Radeon R5 220 1gb DDR3), It seems I gain a few fps by turning down the room brightness and raise bulb brightness (for better sight and the dark room effect looks really cool). And have resolution around 900x680. I get around 40-50 fps on most tables.

It also seems an update just happened since the option arrows and text is much more normal sized.

Thanks Farsight!

_gl

Jul 5, 2012
In the past I had some occasional split second freezing, but it had something to do with the game build, my graphics driver, or my security software. This would occur maybe 2 or 3 times in a 4-6 hour gaming session. I found that I could deactivate the real-time protection in my security software and this would eliminate any hiccups, but I've not had to do this for several months now. Whatever the culprit may have been, it seems to have resolved itself.

I have seen the same thing, a couple of times or so in every play session (Win8.1 Pro x64, Nvidia GTX970). It's a hard freeze, very short duration, but not something I normally see with games (or DX9), so I suspect it's the DX11 code.

Last edited:

dave950lam

Apr 20, 2012
Heads up for anyone who have insufficient graphics cards....Best Buy has a sale going on, just got a budget priced Radeon R5 220 650M 1GB D3 card for $30. It's enough to allow me to play DX11 version (30-40 FPS) and they have other cards on hand.

Update, just returned the R5 220 and got the R7 240 ($90 at Best Buy) and DX11 version TPA runs at 60fps (including Circus Voltaire).

dave950lam

Apr 20, 2012
I have an old-school monitor that has 1024x768. So that's the setting I use. I've tried higher res in the dx11 tab, but if I went too high, the game lost fps.

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
The resolution is a crucial factor
Higher Resolution => More work for your hardware.
1920x1080 is the standard nowadays.

Of course the remaining DX11 settings are also important when you compare FPS.

zedster

Aug 17, 2012
Dear Farsight devs and other Pinheads....

Here is MY bug-report, that you can hopefully fix.
I haven;t tried the l8est Beta, but anyways, relating to JUST the 'DX11 BETA' release of v.1.37.9 (no such problem on this or any other previous DX9 releases), personally, I seem to have quite an issue with my screen swapping from fullscreen to 'windowed fullscreen' with a black or coloured border on all sides of my screen, both top and bottom, left and right sides of the screen. Besides accidentally pressing the CAPSlock key, causing this to happen, here it also seems that pressing the 'escape key' more often than not, causes exactly the same problem. The problem of the TPA game screen swapping from fullscreen to windowed doesn't seem to be an issue here (and never has been in this latest DX9 update or any of the DX9 releases preceeding the current 1.37.8 release) when running the DX9 version 1.37.8 under the same conditions. Could the Farsight devs please look into and possibly address this issue in the next release,ASAP please?...Or, at least what it is in the DX11 (beta) that is causing this and how/when Farsight are going to fix this issue (or is it just me with this problem (I know for a fact my M$ keyboard needs replacing (think I'll try my luck with a Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse combo soon).....an issue that is quite annoying, irritating and facepalming, meaning I have to press the 'ALT + ENTER' key combination mid-game whenever the screen changes to 'fullscreen windowed mode, SURELY, this shouldn't be an issue for Farsight to address (IF it is an issue that other have/are experiencing also, seeing as there isn't this problem in any of the DX9 releases......Teriffic job with the DX11 lighting btw.So far, besides my PC and Android releases we already have, we've have only just bought season 1 on our new PS4 ($15/£10, thank you eBay <grin>), and IMHO, the new DX11 PC version knocks the PS4 version's socks off and down a peg or two from its previous high pirch.
Finally, I hope this post makes complete sense to Farsight understanding it? I'll get round to buying the PS4 Season 2 on eBay too, when the price is low enough, but sorry, IMHO sod paying over 20 quid for 'any' game disk, be it DVD or BluRay (apart from GTAV(PC), MAYbe, OR unless I can find a cheap enough key or something else to activate the full version of GTAV we acquired from some place or other online)....excuse me now, I must shoot myself in the foot for being so open......open like the beta =o) Seriously tho, me being disabled and claiming welfare sickness payments, one has to be careful how one handles ones budget, you know?
Anyways, enuff about me already. Keep up the good work, Farsight, and please remain being quite awesome, even to us 'Future Pinball', etc fans.

Not meaning to sound at all patronising, but most of your tables are spot on and a breath of fresh air (specially for those of us who don't get out much) :(
You're certainly one of our most favourite Pinball sim developers, thanking you.

Best regards & peas, always :)

Al (zedster)

PC Specs:-

Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.8GHz
32GB RAM
3GB Sapphire Radeon 7950 - Vapor X (soon to be updated)
Sabertooth Z77 Mobo
500GB Samsung EVO 830 SDD, 2GB WD Black HDD, 3GB HDDWD Black, 4GB WD Black HDD + 1 x External WD MyBook HDD
2xSony CD/DVD Read/Writers
1xPioneer BluRay Read/Writer
650W Corsair HX Pro PSU
Antec - Twelve Hundred V3 Full Tower Case.
Fans, 10 in total (including a couple of itsy bitsy tiny ones ON the mobo....yea, I was like 'WTF?!?!?!?!' too)
......together with......

Quite a few various Android devices, and, as yet, an UNjailbroken Superslim PS3 and a PS4

Last edited:

zedster

Aug 17, 2012
I've been using my Radeon AMD 7950HD for nigh on 3 years almost, and have never had any performance issuses that I've noticed (apart from occasional screen-tearing), but have finally decided it's time for an upgrade, after looking at various benchmarks comparisons. I could buy an NVidea EVGA GTX980 Ti, but can't really justify spending what must be over $600 on a graphics card, so have chosen to go for an NVidea EVGA GTX970 FTW instead.....any thoughts, friends?

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I've been using my Radeon AMD 7950HD for nigh on 3 years almost, and have never had any performance issuses that I've noticed (apart from occasional screen-tearing), but have finally decided it's time for an upgrade, after looking at various benchmarks comparisons. I could buy an NVidea EVGA GTX980 Ti, but can't really justify spending what must be over $600 on a graphics card, so have chosen to go for an NVidea EVGA GTX970 FTW instead.....any thoughts, friends?

Excellent choice. Probably the best bang for your buck around today.

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
i realise most of thr guys and gals are sane and hardware wise for a proper game needs be and its hardly their onky pc game

but i reckon some are bean counting the fps status, play the ****in thing

just sayin, if you loose a couple of million who cares? maybe the wrong thread but yeah

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.