Favorite DMD animations, let's hear 'em

jkonami

Apr 4, 2012
The PC release of TPA has gotten me participating more in the forum again, and so I was thinking I'm not sure I ever saw a thread on this.
Let's hear what you think are the best DMD animations (either overall, or individual sequences) from a pinball game, in TPA or otherwise.

Personally, off the top of my head, I love the ball lock from TOTAN, and the score match in MM (Drac rocking out). In TPA, Monster Mash
seems to have a lot of really good ones just generally. Feel free to post screenshots or youtube links!

Captain B. Zarre

Apr 16, 2013
Vacation Jackpot by far. I also like:

Terminator 2 normal Jackpot animation (how did they get the 3d chrome plate to spin?)
The Rube Goldberg-like defeating of the Ringmaster on CV
Anything at all related to multiball in TAF
Collecting the Millions+ in Getaway
Big Bang animation in Party Zone

Last edited:

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
If we're talking ever and non-tpa is allowed, I have to say the jackpot animation from High Speed 2 the getaway (and the ball locks, and the multiball start, and the helicopter bonus).

jkonami

Apr 4, 2012
Yep, it's allowed!

You know, I've been pricing real DMD's.. It would be cool to have one until I can build a whole cabinet. Farsight seems to be supporting it in the future, too, if that video of their cabinet is any indication! They are kinda pricey though, and I've noticed there are red and orange ones.. the orange is more expensive, I assume due to demand since that is what they all used.. does anyone know if a real cabinet ever used a red LED one?

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
Extra Ball from RBION (the guy running away from a giant boulder while that awesome fanfare plays)

Terror From The Crate multiball start from Scared Stiff (I love how the critters bang against the crate)

Snack Bar from CftBL, the KISS clips are cute as well - oh, and the increasingly violent destruction during Move Your Car!

Lost In The Zone from TZ looks sweet as well, and the way the door panel rewards are animated during Slot Machine (like three rotating panels) has a really fluid look to it.

White Water multiball start is really cool, love the way the water splashes!

Last edited:

neglectoid

Sep 27, 2012
almost anything from MB is great. the one that still cracks me up is when you enter the initials MOO on scared stiff. it's so goofy.

danivempire

Oct 26, 2013
On afm, the Martian attack with the four bouncing aliens, I love the animation with the alien who I screams attack ^^

Envoyé de mon GT-I9300 en utilisant Tapatalk

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Yep, it's allowed!

You know, I've been pricing real DMD's.. It would be cool to have one until I can build a whole cabinet. Farsight seems to be supporting it in the future, too, if that video of their cabinet is any indication! They are kinda pricey though, and I've noticed there are red and orange ones.. the orange is more expensive, I assume due to demand since that is what they all used.. does anyone know if a real cabinet ever used a red LED one?

When Dracula was released, operators clamored around the machine to see if the gas plasma display was somehow made with red gas. But they then found out that it was just a red mask over the Orange display.

Hence the demand for Orange displays.

Have you priced a ColorDMD?

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012
Most modern Sterns use a red DMD, though. Off the bat I recall Spider-man, Tron, Rolling Stones, Avengers, and surely a lot more. I don't know if they use overlays for the effect?

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
Most modern Sterns use a red DMD, though. Off the bat I recall Spider-man, Tron, Rolling Stones, Avengers, and surely a lot more. I don't know if they use overlays for the effect?

The Hulk LE for Avengers has a green DMD.

SydyneBall

Jul 18, 2013
AFM - Extra Ball - Best extra ball animation in IMHO.
High Speed - Ball locks, Helicopter chase. Best continuing theme.
TZ - Lost in the zone pre-show. Best wizard mode animation.
CFTBL - The perv looking in the car and the following Video Mode. Best Video Mode

I fine the above animations really add to the game and do make the DMD add to the game and the experience, plus the above actually give you time to look at them during play

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.